PDA

View Full Version : Anyone rebuild a hydro pump ever?

Doublewide6
12-15-2012, 09:33 AM
New pump costs about $650, a rebuild $120 and 3 hours of your own work. Anyone ever do this for your mowers?
Also maybe you could answer how do you know if the pump is bad or the wheel motor? I believe I have heard you should replace the pumps and the wheel motors at the same time? What do you guys think?

Watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1fsEQWwdGI

ncls
12-15-2012, 10:02 AM
I use Bad Boy mowers. The return lines to the hydro resivoir are clear. You can see the fluid move. No fluid moving, bad pump. Otherwise bad wheel motor. If the pump goes bad, flush the wheel motor. No need to replace both.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Had one rebuilt this spring after the seals blew but I failed just 4 weeks later so I ended up replacing it any ways. I won't do that again but at the time I thought I was being frugal.

qlchustler
12-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I have 5 hustler super z and have rebuilt wheel motors numerous times, they dont last as long when you rebuild them but I have had good luck.Make sure you check the brass plate in the pump this is where I have had lots of trouble and make sure the cylinders in the pump all move ok. If one is stuck or hard to move up and down this is another problem I have had. Good luck

Doublewide6
12-17-2012, 06:45 AM
I have 5 hustler super z and have rebuilt wheel motors numerous times, they dont last as long when you rebuild them but I have had good luck.Make sure you check the brass plate in the pump this is where I have had lots of trouble and make sure the cylinders in the pump all move ok. If one is stuck or hard to move up and down this is another problem I have had. Good luck

So, how many hours do you average on a rebuild? Anyone ever rebuild a hydro pump? I see they can be rebuilt as well.

tannerbug
09-24-2014, 03:22 PM
So whay did you end up doing
Posted via Mobile Device

themadcutter
09-25-2014, 04:49 PM
any way. in case the guy wants to know and hasn't took off totally

I have rebuilt 2 pumps. I would do it myself as its not too hard but you do get charged a lot for labor. I found the rebuild myself was not hard but taking the pump on and off was a pain and messy.

orientation of the pump parts and plates is very important so use a marking pen if you do it. DON"T let anything (!!!!!!) get in your hoses so you may want to clean the mower really well before you start

tannerbug
09-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the information madcutter
Posted via Mobile Device

Doublewide6
09-25-2014, 09:34 PM
So whay did you end up doing
Posted via Mobile Device

I did not do a rebuild. I was looking into buying a tractor with a bad pump or wheel motor. The tractor sold before I had a chance to go look at it.