PDA

View Full Version : Mid-day basketball break for employees?

adam.neusbaum
12-15-2012, 11:03 AM
I know all about time constraints but anyone ever schedule in 20 minutes for play? For some of the larger crews I can only imagine some of the daily smack chat that would go on before & after a short game of 3 on 3. If I were an employee it'd definitely give me something to look forward to other than lunch & quitting time. For family guys there are so many after hours obligations already that a little play during the work day would do a lot of good.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
12-15-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm solo myself so scheduling play time in the day for employees doesn't happen but I don't work myself so hard I don't take a few min here and there for "play" time.

I'll check personal email or ebay on my iPhone. little things like that. the few times a year I do get a helper sometimes we pull up to a property and chat for like 10-15 before ever getting out of the truck or getting equipment off the trailer or fired up.

adam.neusbaum
12-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Im much like you but I can see the benefits for guys with crews. Employee attendance may increase, exercise without 2-stroke fumes in your face is always good. Healthy competition & teamwork alike. I would clarify that we don't want any busted noses or anything to contend with & I'd tell them they are still on the clock but at 2/3rds rate or something affordable.
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
12-15-2012, 11:34 AM
I can imagine some fun trash-talk: Stevo drives to the rim like he's edging around Mrs.Smiths flagpole.
Ernesto guards me like he's trimming the Franks back hedges. Your dribbling looks like your trying to start the Husky blower.
Whatever, not so good with these I know.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
12-15-2012, 12:42 PM
oh I think having a little play time during the work day is a good thing.

too many guys wanna work, work, work 24/7.

Will P.C.
12-15-2012, 05:24 PM
When I worked at a golf course, we used to have a mid day soccer match with the Mexicans. The mechanic had welded together some metal and made some nice little goals and we would shut both sides of the gates and play on the concrete. The Superinetendent and everyone else would play.

Another larger business/corperation that I worked for bought a ping pong table and we would have matches and tournements during lunch. Somebody was always at the table no matter what time of day.

These types of things come higly recommended by 'team building' and 'efficiency' experts.

GreenI.A.
12-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Thing I would be concearned about is an employee twisting his ankle while playing. You/your workman's comp, is going to be liable since he was on the clock

adam.neusbaum
12-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Good point, was just considering it as a good jesture. Otherwise some guys might not be game with burning up 1/2 hour.
Posted via Mobile Device

chuacro
12-16-2012, 01:08 AM
I am solo and do not have this too think about. I have no customers that have a goal that would let this happen. If I had a crew then you get the work done and come to my place and play ball all you want. I might even through in some drinks.

Richard Martin
12-16-2012, 07:12 AM
The guys I've had work for me would rather just work and get it over with. They don't even want to take a lunch. I'm the same way.

ed2hess
12-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Good crews work their arse off and they certainly not going to be playing games when they get a break. As Richard said they want to get done so they can go home.

newguy123
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah I would say that most would rather get home sooner. But...take a poll from your crew and see what the have to say. As mentioned before, if someone has an injury you'll be footing the workmans comp bill. But maybe ping pong, even though I wouldn't call that a sport.

Way to think outside the box, especially for our industry. If there was a place for water basketball, or something like that...that'd be pretty cool. Guys get a break plus cool off in the water.

alldayrj
12-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Sometimes we play frisbee waiting for the concrete truck but otherwise its work then play
Posted via Mobile Device

XYZLawnPros
12-26-2012, 04:39 PM
This may be a bit long winded, but this is something we as a company do almost daily. Now we have finally found some real gems of employees. Precious brothers that "get the big picture".

While I worked for american airlines(ramp agent/luggage loader/unloader/fueler/waste removal/cabin cleaner/deicer etc..), the airport only had 5 scheduled flights from 6 AM till our last flight at 5:35 pm(for the day shift). That long of a shift gave us a lot of downtime between flights coming and going. All flights but one were 35 minute turn around. The jets were Fokker F100's with max seating I think were 78 coach and 8 in 1st class.

My first day on the job my trainer introduced me to the extracurricular, PAID on the clock as well, activities to do between flights.
We had a full half court basketball set up. An 8 foot pool table. a regulation ping pong table. An air hockey table. 3 full size arcade games, bubble bobble, super mario brothers and an awesome pinball game called "bride of pinbot". Card tables littered the lunch/break room. Every imaginable board game you could think of we had. The APP mechanics built a movable on pneumatic wheels, football goal posts.

After the flight would take off we would either play 5 on 5 basketball right on the tarmac apron right next to the airbridge(movable walkways that you stroll down to board the plane on) that was situated right below the passenger waiting to board area for the flights with wide open views of the tarmac. Passengers would sit and watch us get paid to have fun and bond together with each other doing these activities. Then out would come the goal post. We'd be place kicking field goals any way we could across the tarmac. Then sometimes it'd be a touch football game on the tarmac. Sometimes badminton. Whatever
kept us busy.

The winters also led us to have amazing fun playing on the tarmac. Before the plows and loaders would get to the snow, we'd have the baggage carts out pulling people behind them on all sorts of contraptions. Unclaimed luggage(that had sat there for at least 6 months), barrels, drums.. just all sorts of things.

All of this was going on under the supervision and blessing of the regional area director for the american airlines. No one ever got hurt in the 2 years I was employed there.

All fun aside. The entire principle of this took awhile to sink in. I became lifelong friends with the people I worked side by side with. Eating, breathing, working, sweating and having fun most likely led us to have very involved friendships. The BEST group of "humans" and best "atmosphere" of a job I have ever encountered.

Today it seems everything is NOW NOW NOW NOW. No time for anything but WORK WORK WORK WORK.
I've seen and worked with plenty of crews. Most of them consider cracking jokes all day, putting others down, disrespecting pretty much anyone as a formal way of bonding and getting to know each other. That is the farthest thing from the truth. Lawn maintenance is no exception.
Gone are most days of finding the "right" kind of folks to work for or work with.

So to the original posters question. I say absolutely yes go for it. Nothing in the world ever changes unless we TRY something different.

adam.neusbaum
12-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Was a delightful & insightful read.Thumbs Up

dstifel
12-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Used to work construction for a guy only five of us plus him once or twice a month he would call us in early Friday with a BBQ spread prepared followed by some football all of us were wrestlers which doesn't mix well with basketball haha. He would always tell is it was paid but we usually cut the last hour of when we turned in cards but was a lot of fun.