PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the used mowers?

pitchar
12-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I find myself in the market for a 60" mower. I've been to all the local dealers, Scag, Kubota, Hustler, Bad Boy but no one has any used equipment.

I hear the commercial mowers trade in their equipment every couple of years when the warranty expires. I figured now would be a great time to buy with the cutting season over with. Do you guys who mow for a living wait until spring to get new equipment? Is that when there will be a bunch of used mowers?

Pitchar

Monroe74
12-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I dont know about the other guys but i decided to hang on to my equipment a few more years due to the economy. Looking to buy new next year.

clydebusa
12-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I have bought 2 this year. Does seem like this year has dried up on equipment.

zturncutter
12-15-2012, 03:36 PM
The smart business men will be waiting till spring to sell there used equipment when they can get a better price, and they will wait till spring to lay out the cash or go into debt for new equipment, no need to buy now,

clydebusa
12-15-2012, 03:38 PM
The smart business men will be waiting till spring to sell there used equipment when they can get a better price, and they will wait till spring to lay out the cash or go into debt for new equipment, no need to buy now,

This is true, that is why I look now because the not so smart business man becomes hard pressed for money and deals are to be had.

T Scapes
12-15-2012, 03:41 PM
you will see a bunch of used equipment and demo machines come up in spring.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-15-2012, 10:49 PM
My dealer has a lot of trade ins from the no payments till April then 0% interest for 48 deal. He is holding them till spring to get more money out of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

dhardin53
12-16-2012, 01:29 AM
around here a lot of the dealers don't want to bother with used equipment setting around. They advise the commercial guys that the residential people love to pick them up. So many are sold outright by the LCO.

White Gardens
12-16-2012, 02:10 AM
After the drought this year, I'm willing to bet that most guys are holding on to their mowers either due to lack of funds or the simple fact their mowers didn't get used much.

cpllawncare
12-16-2012, 02:19 AM
I know none of my dealers sell used stuff, I bought a new mower the end of last season with 0% interest 48 and no payments until april no reason to lay out cash over the off season but when the season starts whenever that is, I'm ready way more than I was last season, we're getting our marketing plan in place now I'm shooting for 100 customers this season.

williams lcm
12-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Really no need to trade every 2 years. I have talked to my JD dealer and he says alot of guys have 3000 to 5000hrs on their mowers and they still keep the running. The dealer told me that little things go after 2000hrs. These commercial mowers are made to outlast the motors. I rather keep my mower than have debt over my head.

herler
12-17-2012, 12:04 PM
This is true, that is why I look now because the not so smart business man becomes hard pressed for money and deals are to be had.

Well I know but despite clear evidence that would suggest the contrary there actually ain't that many dumb people, you want a deal and what they are saying is correct, you're outside of the selling window, it's a lot like buying winter clothes in July...

The discounts can be found.
But you're going to be looking long and hard.

Like gold mining, ever watch those shows?
Yeah, they didn't do so well the first time around.

One other thing...
You need cash in hand, all of it.
As in, if they're asking two thousand you need twenty benjies.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Really no need to trade every 2 years. I have talked to my JD dealer and he says alot of guys have 3000 to 5000hrs on their mowers and they still keep the running. The dealer told me that little things go after 2000hrs. These commercial mowers are made to outlast the motors. I rather keep my mower than have debt over my head.

I believe it's been for the last 3 to 4years that they will allow 100% write off on equipment up to a certain dollar amount. That is the main reason alot of LCO's trade that often.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
I know none of my dealers sell used stuff, I bought a new mower the end of last season with 0% interest 48 and no payments until april no reason to lay out cash over the off season but when the season starts whenever that is, I'm ready way more than I was last season, we're getting our marketing plan in place now I'm shooting for 100 customers this season.
The 0% for 36 or 48 is a no brainer. Puts you in new equipment with low payments and no interest. No reason to deplete cash.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
12-17-2012, 05:29 PM

I agree with this 100%. But this works well for smaller companies. It does make sense for the bigger companies to trade in more often. But, if you need new equipment, the 0% deals are no brainers.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrunoT
12-28-2012, 02:35 AM
I believe it's been for the last 3 to 4years that they will allow 100% write off on equipment up to a certain dollar amount. That is the main reason alot of LCO's trade that often.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, but I have to wonder if they're properly using the depreciation recapture rules to report what they sold the units for.

cnflawn
12-28-2012, 05:52 AM
boonescreek has 2 turf tigers 61 inch just traded in
27 kawasaki's

jerald

ArTurf
12-28-2012, 07:56 AM
For what it's worth I will be selling my mowers after I finish a few late cleanups.

grassman177
12-28-2012, 10:34 AM
We have a kubota for sale

Richard Martin
12-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Yep, but I have to wonder if they're properly using the depreciation recapture rules to report what they sold the units for.

Probably not. Most people have no idea what you're talking about.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Well if they trade in their unit at the dealer it's documented so you would be stupid not to cause they would be able to find that info easily if you were audited.

OTOH, if you sell your unit out right and hide the income in cash or a check made out to some one else then act as though the mower was junked after it was used up that maybe a possibility I don't know how it works. I just do what my accountant tells me to minimize what I pay in, not be a red flag for audit, and stay legal.
Posted via Mobile Device