PDA

View Full Version : I need help

Strabe30
12-15-2012, 03:44 PM
I would like to maintain a nice lawn but prefer not to irrigate or collect clippings. Can you suggest a lawn fertilization program and when should I apply it.

agrostis
12-15-2012, 09:11 PM
You don't have to collect clipping's, but you do have to irrigate if you want the grass to do more than just survive, and there is no fertilizer that can get around this.

Smallaxe
12-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Being in IA you are wise to fertilize after the first or second mowing, if you want high maintenance lawn... otherwise if you fertilize with Nitrogen, maybe some Potassium(k) at the end of summerfor the most important application of the year, you'll be going a long way to a healthy lawn, but NOT a brite green lawn... the 2nd best time for an N application might be in early October, IF the color is fading by then,,, but if it is dry like we've had the last 2 years,,, do not bother with more than 1 app in late summer...

It is always best to leave the clippings, and stop mowing when the rains stop in June, July or August... if it looks like the summer drought is coming leave the grass long and keep the mowers off of it... I start mowing at 4" high in June anyways and if we didn't get any rain then I skip a week...

Avoid CrabGrass killers(pre-m) as well... They inhibit the root growth of your existing turf and will therefore not allow your real turf to mature...

What kind of soil do you have???