PDA

View Full Version : Anybody thinking about doing anything differently for 2013?

H & M Yard Improvements
12-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Just wondering if anyone is thinking about doing anything new or differently for 2013?
Posted via Mobile Device

Jpocket
12-15-2012, 07:22 PM
raise prices on some. drop the sloooowwww payers and overall just try to run a leaner meaner operation

Duekster
12-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Always thinking. I started higher prices on new clients last year. Raised prices on a few commercial clients last year. Will raise prices on most residentials this year.

Few other things but still working through and bidding some jobs too.

How about you?

H & M Yard Improvements
12-15-2012, 08:27 PM
For me it will be raising rates on existing customers and bid a bit higher on new clients. Basically price adjustments. Also try to sharpen up estimating skills. Getting better but there's always room for improvement.
Posted via Mobile Device

H & M Yard Improvements
12-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Oh, and becoming more efficient too
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
12-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Tightening routes, we did a good job this year because of fuel prices but I think we can do better. Some rates will go up but most will stay the same.

meets1
12-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Adding onto operations, such as nursery, more retail, and maybe investing in new help.

KS_Grasscutter
12-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Hopefully I can add 20 to 30 full service customers. Will need to do a bunch of advertising to make it happen. Going to invest in some equipment in hopes of increasing productivity and reducing overhead. Completely changing my fertilizer program. Brand new Duramax? Haha that last one won't happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

srlawn
12-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Revamping my advertising strategy. It works well now. But I know I can beef this area up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilbert503
12-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Raise some prices to some clients. Just don't know how to drop the bomb on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

thompsonslawncare
12-16-2012, 12:14 AM
I just picked up 43 properties to start in spring. I am also going to do the every door direct mailing instead of the usual door to door talking with people.

CMassey
12-16-2012, 01:09 AM
We are purchasing some new equipment to help out efficiency. Also going after larger properties ( more acres instead of more properties). I also plan to hire at least one person to train this year so they can run solo next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
12-16-2012, 03:46 AM
purchased a new mower for efficency, increase marketing substancily(sp) to make up for increased effiency, also make sure we only add to existing routes, cutting out unprofitable routes. more and better systems in place.

GMLC
12-16-2012, 08:02 AM
I have a big decision. Whether to make one or both of my part time helpers fulltime. If my marketing continues to produce leads I wont have a choice. In the next few years I will have to add a second crew which means another truck, trailer, ztr, walkbehind, handhelds, etc. etc. I keep running the numbers and it looks good on paper but its always scary!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Woody82986
12-16-2012, 12:35 PM
I'll be adding some new equipment to improve efficiency. I put it off last year. Improving my websites. Door hangers will go out in late February instead of mid March.

HPI_Savage25
12-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I am going to be changing the way I do my billing along with no more "call when you need me". The "Call when you need me" they let it go a month at a time and then its just a jungle. Oh and they still want it done for $40

Also thinking of picking up an Exmark so I have a nice new mower and I won't be having to bag nearly as much as I am now.

H & M Yard Improvements
12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
I am going to be changing the way I do my billing along with no more "call when you need me". The "Call when you need me" they let it go a month at a time and then its just a jungle. Oh and they still want it done for $40

Also thinking of picking up an Exmark so I have a nice new mower and I won't be having to bag nearly as much as I am now.

I never take on the "Ill call you when I need you garbage!" Never make any money off of them and they are usually cheap and are slow payers! Not worth it! Good call on eliminating those customers!

I'm also going to try and tighten up my route and possibly start weeding out my bi-weekly accounts and go to weekly only. Seems as if there's really no money involved in bi weekly customers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
12-16-2012, 11:18 PM
I have a big decision. Whether to make one or both of my part time helpers fulltime. If my marketing continues to produce leads I wont have a choice. In the next few years I will have to add a second crew which means another truck, trailer, ztr, walkbehind, handhelds, etc. etc. I keep running the numbers and it looks good on paper but its always scary!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you considered raising rates before doing this....?
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
12-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Have you considered raising rates before doing this....?
Posted via Mobile Device

My rates are already on the high end. I close about 50-60% of my bids and turn down some work. My goal in 10 years is to be out of the field and just running the business side of things. Its just the first step thats always the hardest.
Posted via Mobile Device

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
12-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Testing for my Certified Applicator Cert. on Thursday. Add a new mower. Revamp website. Buying everything I need for fert and squirt. Hire a full time guy. Added a new F250 last month to pull everything. Much more advertising to add 30 new accounts.

cpllawncare
12-17-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm finding out now by what they mean by how much it cost to add a certain number of accounts, and it's high! 30 accounts yea that's expensive to get 30 GOOD accounts! Not just any 30 will do!

ralph02813
12-18-2012, 06:39 PM
I dropped a dozen accounts, and I am going 100% organic!

Agape
12-02-2013, 10:08 AM
so, it's almost 2014.
I want to know who implemented change and did it work?:waving:

larryinalabama
12-02-2013, 10:20 AM
I didn't make any of my goals which were to keep the truck clean and organized and too put my own yard on a regular schedule. It was however a real good season for me.

GreenGuysLC
12-07-2013, 12:03 AM
I didn't make any of my goals which were to keep the truck clean and organized and too put my own yard on a regular schedule. It was however a real good season for me.

Clean Truck... lol.. Your yard on a schedule.... yeah right...lmao. I am with you there!! But yeah... I had a pretty good one too.. Uncle sam says too good!! :hammerhead:

MRCo.
12-07-2013, 12:54 AM
My big thing for 2013 is becoming a zt mower dealer. Big financial risk, big learning curve...but he who dares, wins. I hope!

cpllawncare
12-07-2013, 10:14 PM

Larry, just another reason not to be solo, I have the guys take care of all that for me.

larryinalabama
12-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Larry, just another reason not to be solo, I have the guys take care of all that for me.

Ya they generally clean you out right before they quit:laugh: