PDA

View Full Version : Grooming habbits

Bunton Guy
12-15-2012, 07:30 PM
For the first time in my life I decided to grow out a beard. I have never gone longer then 3 days in my life without shaving.

Now after 3.5 weeks of only shaving my neck my wife is on the fence about how professional it is to not be clean cut. I've always been clean shaven every day & a hair cut once every 3 weeks for the last 15 years.

Now it bothers me & I feel like I should shave just to keep my clean cut look. Not to mention I don't think this beard thing is going to work anyhow :hammerhead: over 3 weeks and I still look like a 16 year old trying to grow some manlyness :laugh:

How do you guys feel about grooming habbits? I guess if you want to grow facial hair out you must start somewhere right?

larryinalabama
12-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Its gonna itch and be dirty at the end of the day.

Duekster
12-15-2012, 08:03 PM
I keep a goatee.

More than likely going clean is the best bet unless you have an extra chin.

Sprinkler Buddy
12-15-2012, 08:11 PM
The wife is telling you she doesn't like the look in a nice way. lol

Time to lose the beard!

jrs.landscaping
12-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I shave every other day and have my hair cut to 1/4" every month. We had a kid working for us who looked like Grizzly Adams, long beard and long hair. The best part was it was 90 something degrees.

KrayzKajun
12-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I keep a goatee most of the time. I get my hair cut every other Sat and they trim my goatee. Im clean shaven right now, becuz i tried to trim my goatee myself the other night. If i went three weeks without shaving i would look like the guys from Duck Dynasty. If i shave at night, by noon the next day i have a 5oclock shadow.
Posted via Mobile Device

bmxerss
12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Im having the same problem, except mines with my hair. i've been wanting to let it grow below shoulder lenght, unfortunatly i have VERY curly hair, and it comes past my nose when its wet, but dry its an inch above my eyebrow. Also, i doubt it would look very professional to have an afro on the job. lol

macgyver_GA
12-16-2012, 12:30 AM
I keep a "groomed" beard. I trim it 3 times a week with my beard and mustache trimmer on the #1 setting. I clean shave my neck from about an inch under my jawbone down.

Monroe74
12-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Clean cut spring, summer, fall grizzly adams in the winter

White Gardens
12-16-2012, 12:55 AM
I have a full beard. Gets trimmed once every 1.5-2 weeks. Once it starts getting burly, then that's the time i cut it, and I generally cut it fairly close to my face so It doesn't look like Grizzly Adams.

My hair gets cut once every four-five weeks.

I started the beard because I had a baby face when I started my biz. At 25 everyone thought I was 18. I felt people weren't taking me seriously and I feel the beard helped me look my age.

That and I'm a cheapskate and don't like spending money on razors.....

RSK Property Maintenance
12-16-2012, 01:12 AM
i go every tuesday or wednesday for a hair cut at a local barbershop, I get a 0 on the sides faded to a 2-3 up top, then the top is cut as short as possible with scissors, the the back is done really short to match the sides and blends with the top. also my barber, gets the back of my neck and my hair line with straight razor, so it really looks clean and tight. I shave every other week or something, stubble but nothing more. If i'm too busy I'll skip a week but rarely does that happen. roughly 48 cuts a year for my head, maybe a little less.

CMassey
12-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Goatee and shaved head during the cutting season. Right now kind of burly with a beard and hair on my head mainly just to stay warm while working outside . The wife says it all goes as soon as it warms up a little!
Posted via Mobile Device

LindblomRJ
12-16-2012, 01:53 AM
If I could grow a decent beard, I'd go grizzly adams in the winter. I shave about once a week. Kinda of the crocket look from Miami Vice. :rolleyes:

White Gardens
12-16-2012, 02:01 AM
i go every tuesday or wednesday for a hair cut at a local barbershop, I get a 0 on the sides faded to a 2-3 up top, then the top is cut as short as possible with scissors, the the back is done really short to match the sides and blends with the top. also my barber, gets the back of my neck and my hair line with straight razor, so it really looks clean and tight. I shave every other week or something, stubble but nothing more. If i'm too busy I'll skip a week but rarely does that happen. roughly 48 cuts a year for my head, maybe a little less.

That's like a grand a year on your hair.

I shoot for 250 a year tops.

I could honestly care less if I "maintain" my hair in general. I don't have time for one thing, my hair is constantly messed up and dirty from working, and I can get away with long duration between cuts as it tends to keep looking good as it grows out.

H & M Yard Improvements
12-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Clean shaven here! Can't grow a beard or goatee to save my life! There's always that one spot that NEVER grows lol. I also buzz my head. Head looks like a melon but it helps cool me off in the middle of July and August. Just gotta figure out a way to keep the sweat from dripping on my glasses! That is annoying!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
12-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I grew the beard when I was like 24 got sick of be mistaken for 16-18. Around 30 I went to a goatee. I did go clean shaven for about a year and half once but I couldn't stand it same issue looking 10 years younger then I am. So I went back to the goatee. Around age 34 I finally gave up the long hair so that's conformist enough for me in my book.

RSK Property Maintenance
12-16-2012, 01:01 PM
That's like a grand a year on your hair.

I shoot for 250 a year tops.

I could honestly care less if I "maintain" my hair in general. I don't have time for one thing, my hair is constantly messed up and dirty from working, and I can get away with long duration between cuts as it tends to keep looking good as it grows out.

over a grand a year if you factor in the diesel to drive there and back and wear and tear on my truck, its like 15 miles each way but, I like to stay looking very clean cut, with a tight military style hair cut, I think customers definitely notice, and it may help get jobs, because they seem how well i am groomed, and realize I can easily take care of myself, so their property will be nothing, not too mention, I'm 6'1 185lbs pretty lean and mean, I eat well, and workout a little, so my body fat is pretty low, I'm in shape and it shows. I see some landscapers that are pretty overweight.

Bunton Guy
12-16-2012, 03:08 PM
My wife claims that clients would look at me different if I was not clean cut.

I can't think of a time that I was dealing with a client or a vendor that I looked close enough to see if they were clean shaven etc...

I don't think it would stop me from doing business with someone if they were not clean shaven & trimmed hair. Would it affect the way you do business with someone?

RSK Property Maintenance
12-16-2012, 03:15 PM
My wife claims that clients would look at me different if I was not clean cut.

I can't think of a time that I was dealing with a client or a vendor that I looked close enough to see if they were clean shaven etc...

I don't think it would stop me from doing business with someone if they were not clean shaven & trimmed hair. Would it affect the way you do business with someone?

i don't think being clean shaven matters, but having neatly trimmed facial hair, or just down to stubble is certainly acceptable.

cpllawncare
12-16-2012, 03:42 PM
over a grand a year if you factor in the diesel to drive there and back and wear and tear on my truck, its like 15 miles each way but, I like to stay looking very clean cut, with a tight military style hair cut, I think customers definitely notice, and it may help get jobs, because they seem how well i am groomed, and realize I can easily take care of myself, so their property will be nothing, not too mention, I'm 6'1 185lbs pretty lean and mean, I eat well, and workout a little, so my body fat is pretty low, I'm in shape and it shows. I see some landscapers that are pretty overweight.

I've cut my own hair ever since I got that first shave down in basic, I used to keep a high and tight but now it's just the tight part there is no high LOL Customers do notice even if you don't think they do, especially if your dealing with the RIGHT customers.I maintain my personal hygene at all times you never know who your going to have to deal with. the same goes for all the equipment and truck. I buy new work boots at the beginning of the season as well and replace any torn or tattered pants and shirts.

wegomow
12-16-2012, 04:03 PM
I doubt your clients or even potential clients would care about your having a beard or not unless you go all ZZ top like. It is just a part of your overall appearance. Your clothing, attitude, speech and the way you carry yourself all play a role in making a good impression. Sounds to me like your wife doesn't really approve of the new look.

White Gardens
12-16-2012, 11:33 PM
I doubt your clients or even potential clients would care about your having a beard or not unless you go all ZZ top like. It is just a part of your overall appearance. Your clothing, attitude, speech and the way you carry yourself all play a role in making a good impression.

Have to agree with this. I've never lost a job to my appearance. Sometimes I pull off a job to go meet with someone and I'll be super dirty and disheveled.

I apologize for my appearance, and never once have I had anyone say they won't talk to me because I'm dirty. 90% of the time they say it's ok, you're a landscaper, it's what you do.

BeachysLawn
12-17-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a full beard right now but typically I maintain a goatee. Have had one since I was 18. Helps hide the extra chin my Pops handed down to me :)

As far as customers noticing, I have one nice older lady that always comes out to say hi when I'm there and after about a year of taking care of her property she looked at me one week and said, "Oh my gosh, honey, you just look all cute with that new goatee!" Lol, so, yeah, I think its one of those things where they don't notice whether you are clean shaven or bearded as long as its not all scraggly. Kind of like customers don't come home and say "oh wow, the lawn guy did a great job today!' as quickly as they come home and say "Holy Crap, he forgot to edge the sidewalk!"

Darryl G
12-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow...some of you guys get your hair cut really often. I get mine done like twice a year...once in spring and once about this time of year. Personally I don't see anything at all wrong with facial hair as long as it's not to the point where people are going to stare or something.

jones68
12-17-2012, 01:10 PM
i keep a crew cut #2 on the sides #4 on top get it cut every 2-3 weeks and a goat tee all summer. halloween is usually the last day i shave let the beard come in keep it edged up nice and i let it grow but use my trimmers every so often to keep it all even (my goat tee area grow faster than everything else) and let it go and ill keep it maintained with a #4 or #5 trimmer all winter and shave it off when it starts getting warm. it defiantly helps keep the face warm and cuts the wind in the winter when your out working. never had a customer say anything negative about it.

ralph02813
12-18-2012, 06:43 PM
I think, it is all in maintenance, dress neat and clean, if your hair is long, tie it back. If you have a beard and mustache check the damn mirror after you eat - every time.

RSK Property Maintenance
12-18-2012, 07:09 PM
I think, it is all in maintenance, dress neat and clean, if your hair is long, tie it back. If you have a beard and mustache check the damn mirror after you eat - every time.

I agree, but personally i can't stand having stuff in my hair, such as small pieces of leaves, or small pieces of grass, or dirt, and keeping a tight hair cut helps a lot. vs. longer hair that may go down past my ears.

TriCountyLawn
12-18-2012, 07:21 PM
I have long hair and either rock a light beard or goatee. When I shave I get too many comparisons to the penn and teller guy.

jsslawncare
12-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Goatee. Hair cut about every other month. It doesn't really bother me.

Stillwater
12-19-2012, 04:02 AM
You can have a beard and still have a clean cut look about you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
12-19-2012, 06:42 AM
I have long hair and either rock a light beard or goatee. When I shave I get too many comparisons to the penn and teller guy.

Which is it, Penn or Teller?

TriCountyLawn
12-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Which is it, Penn or Teller?

Whichever one is the tall guy with long hair:drinkup: