PDA

View Full Version : rakes....the old fashioned way

zackvbra
12-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Okay so this lady called me today and wanted landscape installs and maintnance(flowers, new pine straw, lights, etc) and leaf removal. She told me its a 1 acre lot. She also said, at the beginning of the conversation, she has a lawn company, but they dont want to pick up her leaves. That was a tell tell sign that I knew something wasnt right.

She asked how I was going to pick up the leaves, I said, in your beds since Im going to replace the flowers and pine straw, ill just use the blower and get that plus the leaves on the lawn up with my lawn vacuum.

She said "no I do not want power equipment like that picking up leaves at my house. It creates dust and it gets all over everything, so I want it raked. There aint nothing wrong with a good ole' rake."

I said, "okay I can rake it, but it will cost you more, since Im giving up using my fast efficient leaf bagger, and it will take 5x as long." She said "no thanks, I dont think this is going to work out."

I mean what do people expect? Any one have something like this happen?

recycledsole
12-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Hahahaha 1 acre lot with rake! :)

AmericanEagleLawncare
12-15-2012, 10:33 PM
It really irks me when people think the world revolves around them. You gave her two options in getting the job done. One with a mower the efficient way or two with a rake. Option two was going to cost more. Most people can't comprehend how a business. Up North we have problems with snow removal on driveways. The get the jobs done faster with a plow but not as good as a snowblower. People want the blower, but complain when it going to cost more. This lady will probably call you back when she can't find anyone to do the job. There might be more leaves plus being stuck to the ground. She will ask for the original price, but the job will take longer now. Just tell her to BUZZ OFF!

rob7233
12-16-2012, 12:02 AM
The nice thing about being in business for yourself is that, you have the right to choose who you want to work for/with. This might be a good time to exercise that right if she calls back.... I'd tell her, "I don't think this will work out between us". :clapping: Some people will never get it.

Monroe74
12-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Day after day people have this thing where they think your the neighborhood kid living with your parents. And you have nothing better to do but take care of them. F that go find that kid and when he dont show up because he is playing his xbox dont call me i got that space filled already.

zackvbra
12-16-2012, 02:38 PM
yeah I have to charge more because for the extra time spent raking, I could be somewhere else making the same money basically and making more customers happy. That leaf bagger does just as good, if not a better job than the rake.

Dust isnt a big problem. I mean, I could have blown and bagged it and got a little dust on her house, and if its a big deal to her, I could have pressure washed her whole house, and it still would have been cheaper than using the rake.

some people dont realize that the old fashioned way isnt always the best way.

clydebusa
12-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Happens all the time. No big deal, she wll find someone with a rake and be happy. Don't loose any sleep over it.

zackvbra
12-16-2012, 03:04 PM
believe me, i got good sleep last night. lol

weeze
12-28-2012, 02:49 PM
wow i wouldn't rake anyones yard unless it was like 1/8th of an acre lol. even then i would just use the leaf blower and blow it off. i would use the mower for an acre yard.

i dunno what it is about some people. they wanna pay you $10 an hr for you to rake their yard that is 1 acre? lol. i don't think they understand that $10hr back in 1960 was alot more money than it is in 2012. that would be like $100hr in 2012 lol.

ed2hess
12-28-2012, 11:34 PM
yeah I have to charge more because for the extra time spent raking, .

So how much would you charge per hour to rake leaves?

Kelly's Landscaping
12-29-2012, 10:19 AM

The same rate per hour as I charge to use power equipment. My fix costs are the same either way I may save 1-2 dollars in 2 cycle but cost of a full time employee is the same. The cost of the truck that got him there the rent the insurance the regulations I have to deal with for registrations and licenses are the same. My time is worth something if my crew brings in 240 an hour and i work 5 hours I expect 1200 the fact that I was forced to work at a crawl by the request of the customer should not effect my daily bottom line. Plus its even worse since the fatigue of me and my men go through the roof and no one wants to to anything after a bs job like that. If I did the job early they would all walk like zombies the rest of the day and If I tried to be smart and did it late they would all show up late or not at all the next day. When your trained to use power equipment going back to the stone age is discouraging, insulting and depressing. So I would have steered her to the correct efficient method and would have done so by pointing out the added cost of the job to do it her moronic way.

zackvbra
01-01-2013, 12:18 PM

I base my quotes on $30/hr when I'm using my machines. Since I would be giving up using those machines, it would have been $45/hr.