PDA

View Full Version : has anyone seen anything like this before?

scag43
12-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi there, I have this trailer and it looks like if it had a lift gate assist before, but I never seen anything like these before, any idea or suggestion, I will really appreciated , gate is really heavy...Thank You

captken
12-17-2012, 05:29 AM
A garage door spring, some cable and some cable clamps. One set each per side. Home made and dangerous. Spring needs to be contained to prevent injury for when the spring or the cable fails, and they will fail. Each and every component will fail over time. Trust me.
Spring needs to be contained for the entire length of it's travel when gate is down.

On second thought, this design might use just the garage door spring as anchor points don't seem to far apart. Use at your own risk.

captken
12-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Don't use it.
You don't want someone to be near it WHEN it fails.

Those garage door springs will be under tremendous tension when the gate is down.
With that design, there is nothing to contain the spring when it lets go.

Home made on a budget. Done right.

Stainless steel nut and bolt provide safe anchor point to the top rail.
Steel tubing encases the spring completely.
Stainless steel eye bolt acts as fair lead for cable.
All these things keep the spring in the tube for when it fails.

This will probably end up in the truck and trailer forum.

Richard Martin
12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Garage door springs can be safely restrained by running a steel cable through the spring from one end to the other. This is done on garage doors all of the time. Think about a garage door. Say you have a 7' door and a person is 6'6". The spring is mounted about 6" higher than the door and sometimes lower. So you're walking under that loaded spring with your head less than a foot away from the spring. A steel cable through the spring is an acceptable method of securing the spring.

scag43
12-17-2012, 10:35 AM
hi there, can i used this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stanley-Garage-Door-Extension-Coil-Spring-White-25-110-lbs-730610-V1810-/261101241716?pt=Garage_Doors_Openers&hash=item3ccad8c574

Thank You

123hotdog
01-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Garage door springs can be safely restrained by running a steel cable through the spring from one end to the other. This is done on garage doors all of the time. Think about a garage door. Say you have a 7' door and a person is 6'6". The spring is mounted about 6" higher than the door and sometimes lower. So you're walking under that loaded spring with your head less than a foot away from the spring. A steel cable through the spring is an acceptable method of securing the spring.

This is so true. I have been using this method for years and years. I have never had a spring break. I use plenty big springs with the steel cable inside the spring.