PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wiring?

MOturkey
12-17-2012, 12:50 PM
The female connector on my trailer (7 blade?) has popped loose a few times and ended up being dragged on the pavement damaging the rubber plug. It still works, but one of the last times I used it this fall, the running lights didn't come on until I jiggled it around a bit, so I thought it prudent to get it replaced before spring.

The 4 foot or so long "pigtail" running from the connector seems to be attached to the trailer wiring by a connector of some sort (round, perhaps 4 inches long), but I was not able to disconnect it using minimal force. I didn't get too carried away until I was sure the thing is designed to come apart. However, when I went online to try and find a replacement, everything I could locate appears to be only bare wire connections. I couldn't find anything that has a factory molded "plug" on the trailer end of the pigtail.

My question is, should I just cut and splice the wires, or are there pigtails that have connectors molded in, and, if so, where could I find them. The trailer is a PJ, if that helps. Thanks.

Darryl G
12-17-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but this is the type of thing that I would ask my local dealer.

jones68
12-17-2012, 01:16 PM
a picture of the connector would help

LindblomRJ
12-17-2012, 01:22 PM
A picture would help. But you can take a 7 way plug and slice it in to your wiring without a whole lot of fuss. I'd make the splice and use heat shrink tubing to protect the splice.

MOturkey
12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but this is the type of thing that I would ask my local dealer.

That's probably the best idea, but the dealer is 40 miles away, so I may end up just giving him a call. I was hoping someone else had changed a similar one out.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
12-17-2012, 03:23 PM
If your a some-what proficient in wiring, than it's a super easy fix. I re-wired all 3 of my trailer at the end of the season this year. I replaced the 7-way pigtail you're talking about. It would be nice if you posted a picture so we can see exactly what you mean. Click on the link under my signature and go to the last page, i posted a pic of a junction box i made as i re-wired the new pigtail in. It was easy.

As mentioned above, just splice that pigtail right into the trailer wire, avoid any adapters, they just cause problems.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
12-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Oh, and you probably won't find any pigtail with that round connector on it. It was most likely some version of a junction box that the dealer installed. Most 7-way pigtails come with bare wires on one end.

dieselss
12-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Pics would help. We have a p&j trail that I rewired to a 6. Don't know what your talking about either
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
12-17-2012, 11:04 PM
call PJ. my interstate has the same thing. i replace about one a year in 2 secs

MOturkey
12-18-2012, 02:12 AM
call PJ. my interstate has the same thing. i replace about one a year in 2 secs

I just looked at the PJ company website, and found what I was looking for. It is a pigtail with a connector that is installed on their trailers which are made in Mexico. They didn't list a price, only a number to call to order. I'll call, and if they are totally out of line on the price, I'll just replace the 7 blade connector itself. Thanks for the help.

alldayrj
12-18-2012, 10:36 AM
What i did is buy the new one, splice the old one and keep in the tool box for a spare for when it gets really mangled and you need to get the trailer home
Posted via Mobile Device