PDA

View Full Version : Irritating things that you can't change

pseudosun
12-17-2012, 07:54 PM
This lady/customer never wants landscaping done. She shouts it down. I took her yard when she moved there and she flagged me down. Grass was in the beds originally (a little), but again, she didn't want extra work done. She just wants to put mulch over the grass to make it look like a bed. (FYI - i do minimal landscaping; i'm mainly a mow and go operation). The border grass is gone, and she said to just trim it if grass comes through. Well, you know how that goes - mulch goes everywhere. I tried to talk to her about it 4 or 5 times, and she doesn't want my opinion. So, what she has is layers of grass and mulch. I remulch about twice a year. I even told her that the grass looks fine and she shouldn't cover it with mulch. Or, i could pull out the grass and make a bed and keep it edged out. BUT, i won't do that for nothing, and for some reason, she has a fit when i mention landscaping. I just have to keep building up the mulch and trying to trim it without whipping it all out in the yard. It's ridiculous. I have to say that i've never had this problem with anyone else, never. How high is she going to build up those layers? I told her about the layers, and she looks at me like i'm speaking a different language. You can sort of see where the border grass was. It just irritates me.

http://pseudosun.smugmug.com/photos/i-pZm7s3s/0/L/i-pZm7s3s-L.jpg

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
12-17-2012, 09:25 PM
If you want to distinguis yourself from the half-ass LCOs, do a job correctly or kindly decline the job. Explain that to perspective customers, you either do work the correct way or not at all. The ones who don't want to do the work correctly are probably not worth your time anyway. You can change the irritating things after all!

herler
12-17-2012, 09:54 PM
The serenity prayer comes in three parts, I will try and explain it a little:

God, grant me the serenity to accept ALL the things I can not change for there exist so many,
the courage to change those things within ME so as to better be able to accept those things I can NOT change,
AND then I try and remember that part about the wisdom to know the difference, especially around women, oh boy oh boy.

I get it too, folks who come in acting like they want all that but some time later it turns out they only wanted the champagne but are unfortunately on a beer budget...

Nickel getting in the way of a dollar.

Experience has taught me two things:

1. Either accept what it is, how it is, goes along the lines of the customer is always right...
It's not so difficult, after this many years, to accept that the customer pays my bills, what they want, how they want it, I don't have to like it or agree with it, all I have to do is do it, leave a bill, get paid, smile, say thank you, and have a nice day.

2. Or as was pointed out, I have been known to mention that we should either do it right or not at all, and if they balk I learn quickly do NOT bring that up again. Now I can either go back to 1 or I can politely decline the job.

It's between those two, that one with the mulch, I could probably go either way.

larryinalabama
12-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Just spray it with a little gloysophate every now and then.

pseudosun
12-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Yes, it does make me look bad when people see that mess. The problem is that she WON'T pay to have it done correctly. Right now, i need the dough, so i just follow orders. I can usually get my point across to customers, and make things look better.

pseudosun
12-17-2012, 10:14 PM
yes, i may spray for my peace of mind. It will be on my dime though.

weeze
12-17-2012, 10:26 PM
yeah i would spray it with roundup too. that will keep the grass out of the beds. simple and easy.

Will P.C.
12-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Be careful about wind dwift with the glyco since it sounds like this lady would have a riot if a plant died.

Let it be a lesson to you in the future to tactfully educate the customer why throwing mulch over hearty grass is unacceptable. Let them know your company will not partake in doing things the wrong way. If that doesn't work, I guess it comes down to how bad you need the money and headache.

herler
12-18-2012, 02:20 AM
yes, i may spray for my peace of mind. It will be on my dime though.

It is unfortunate but due to the nationwide drought the price of gly has gone through the roof because it is so destructive they really don't want us using it anymore... And that may not be exactly how it goes, but it has gotten expensive.

wildstarblazer
12-18-2012, 07:57 AM
From the looks of that picture it might cost about 50 cents in Gly. Also, covering grass with mulch won't hurt anything. It will decompose and turn to soil but weeds and grass will still invade if not kept sprayed or manually pulled. That is why we call it maintenance.

pseudosun
12-18-2012, 09:39 AM
In this case, it's also called free work. I'm not giving her a free bed. There's a chance she might be expecting me to do it for free. Can't do it. The mow and go is a quick and easy 40 bucks, so that's why i'm keeping it. Free beds, no. This is one lady i have surrendered to; i can't reason with her.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
12-18-2012, 10:38 AM
It is unfortunate but due to the nationwide drought the price of gly has gone through the roof because it is so destructive they really don't want us using it anymore... And that may not be exactly how it goes, but it has gotten expensive.

Getting off topic a little. Glysophate costs from my supplier were half in 2012 compared to 2011. I bought a couple extra cases this fall just in case the price goes up in spring 2013.

LHS Lawns
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
In this case, it's also called free work. I'm not giving her a free bed. There's a chance she might be expecting me to do it for free. Can't do it. The mow and go is a quick and easy 40 bucks, so that's why i'm keeping it. Free beds, no. This is one lady i have surrendered to; i can't reason with her.

I'll throw a freebie to my customers every now and then when its appropriate and convenient for me. If its quick and easy I don't mind but I know which customers would appreciate it.

There have been some cases where I have done a quick job such as you have before you because I just can't stand the sight off it.

I'd hit it with some Gly and be done with it but you know your customers so it might not be worth it.

LawnMan19
12-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Yeah, just give it a good spraying, it'll make it look much better.

yardguy28
12-18-2012, 02:25 PM
back to the comment about doing a job right or not at all.

you can call me what you want but I will do whatever a client wants if they are willing to pay my price.

I have clients who are willing to pay the amount for it to be done right, remove the sod and mulch it properly. I also have clients who have had me just scalp the grass to dirt with the trimmer and throw mulch down.

pseudosun
12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I sort of looked into the future if i got the bed in shape (freebie). The old saying would be true "you give them an inch, they'll take a mile" She'd probably complain that it wasn't done right. Been there, done that. No freebies. Time is money. What she doesn't understand is that if done right, she may save money. She buys about 25 bags of mulch, twice a year, and then pays me to pick it up and spread it.

Also, this thread is about "irritating things "YOU" can't change". If there are any situations that are a thorn in your side, maybe i can learn from it.

Mickhippy
12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Dont tell her anything and just spray it. It'll save you time and money long term.
I have a customer who has approx 40m long rock wall/edge. Absolute pita to trim in between all the rocks (round peg, square hole) so now just spray it for free but it saves me so much time and trimmer line it well worth the cost of a little gly.

larryinalabama
12-18-2012, 07:46 PM

Its the same price Ive been paying for a few years now.

http://www.agrisupply.com/glystar-original-weed-killer/p/57379/

orangemower
12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
I'd have to say working is at the top of the list.

wegomow
12-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Irritating things that you can't change

The humidity in the Summer in NC can be the same as the temperature i.e. 95% humidity and 95 degrees. This year I got heat rash under both arms a first for me.

H & M Yard Improvements
12-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Irritating things you cant change!

Developing swamp ass in the middle of the day in the July and August heat and still have about 4 lawns to do before you are finished!

pseudosun
12-18-2012, 10:58 PM
o my, busting a gut. I actually have never heard the term "swamp ass", but i imagine that boudreaux's butt paste can fix it.

H & M Yard Improvements
12-18-2012, 11:32 PM
o my, busting a gut. I actually have never heard the term "swamp ass", but i imagine that boudreaux's butt paste can fix it.

Yeah lol. Swamp ass isnt fun at all lol. a nice shower when i get home and some baby powder and just veg on the couch in my boxers with the ac blowing on "it" lol. Feels like heaven lmfao!

pseudosun
12-19-2012, 01:04 AM
http://jaybird22.hubpages.com/hub/swampass

Mickhippy
12-19-2012, 05:20 AM
I love the name "swamp ass!" I know it as "ball rash" but same deal!
If you get it, have a hot shower, scrub effected area (will hurt like fcuk) then treat with http://www.123chemistonline.com.au/product191/detail/resolve-plus-10-cream-30g/

Seriously good stuff used by people up in the tropics here.
Swamp ass is caused by bacteria, not necessarily by rubbing. One begets the other. Treat the bacteria, solve the rash!

orangemower
12-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Guys, it's called "monkeybutt".... :D

Commando here. Keeps the men down low breathing well in the summer heat.

Richard Martin
12-19-2012, 06:59 PM

We're paying $45 for 2.5 gallons here at AgriSupply.

http://mower-blades.agrisupply.com/search#w=glyphosate&asug=

There's a store in Petersburg which isn't a long distance for you.

wildstarblazer
12-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Here's an irritating thing. Today I'm blowing leaves and the old lady comes out and puts a chair in the middle of the lawn while talking on the phone. Then every time I would get close to her she would just move the chair 10 feet and so on..

I'm looking at her like, really?? Why would you do this? Go inside and let me finish.

weeze
12-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Here's an irritating thing. Today I'm blowing leaves and the old lady comes out and puts a chair in the middle of the lawn while talking on the phone. Then every time I would get close to her she would just move the chair 10 feet and so on..

I'm looking at her like, really?? Why would you do this? Go inside and let me finish.

lol that's beyond annoying. that's like psycho. :hammerhead:

yardguy28
12-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Guys, it's called "monkeybutt".... :D

Commando here. Keeps the men down low breathing well in the summer heat.

he should know. after all he IS a monkeybutt......:laugh: