PDA

View Full Version : Echo trimmers

smallstripesnc
12-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Im posting this for a friend who needs some advice. He's starting up in 2013 and wants an echo trimmer as his main trimmer and to do edging. He wants either the srm230,srm266, or the srm280. I see they make the "s" models with solid steel shafts. Any advice for him? Ive only owned one echo and havent used any newer ones. Is the solid steel shaft worth the cash?
Posted via Mobile Device

TNGrassCutter
12-17-2012, 10:51 PM
266 will be a good one. I never buy the s models or the t. The 266 will have enough power for tall thick stiff but not be crazy heavy.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
12-17-2012, 10:57 PM
If he ends up getting one ill def have to try it. This will be his first season so im trying to point him the right direction with equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

weve
12-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Echo's website lists the same weight for the srm-266 and the srm-280.

herler
12-18-2012, 02:23 AM
The only reason behind having a steel shaft is to use attachments, while attractive it isn't required and since it's his first trimmer it likely won't be his last so either way he can go but I can tell you he should buy the most powerful one he can get.

AmericanEagleLawncare
12-18-2012, 03:34 AM
I ran 261 and 265t echos. I switch to the 230 models due to having the foam handles. I couldn't stand the plastic handle grips. The 230 is about 1 lb lighter plus having a 2 ounce bigger fuel tank than the 266. The 230 gets the jobs done, easy on the body while saving some money on the purchase price.

H & M Yard Improvements
12-18-2012, 09:23 AM
I have one. Srm225 I believe is the model. Can't complain really. I want to upgrade to a Stihl for next season. I can use my echo as a backup!
Posted via Mobile Device

H & M Yard Improvements
12-18-2012, 09:25 AM
I've talked to a couple of other LCO's in my area and from what they tell me, Echo doesn't have the same quality that they once had.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
12-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Ill be talking to him today. I currently have a redmax and a stihl fs90r and honestly im not happy with either.

He also mentioned Kawasaki being in his area but echo is seen more on other rigs around town.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
12-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I've talked to a couple of other LCO's in my area and from what they tell me, Echo doesn't have the same quality that they once had.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep. I have an older SRM 210, great trimmer and still runs great. I bought a new echo stick edger last year and am not very impressed. I own a stihl chain saw and a variety of echo and husqavarna handhelds, I maybe switching over to husky as my echo stuff needs replaced.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Hes looking at the srm266 or the srm280. Ive never used either so Im not sure which to recommend.

Is the 280 too much for residential weekly and biweekly lawns? Also edging with the trimmer. Another thing whats the true difference with the high torque models?
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
12-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Bump
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
12-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Hes looking at the srm266 or the srm280. Ive never used either so Im not sure which to recommend.

Is the 280 too much for residential weekly and biweekly lawns? Also edging with the trimmer. Another thing whats the true difference with the high torque models?
Posted via Mobile Device

SRM265T will last you a lifetime. We have about 10 and the oldest is three years old. Unit hasplenty of power.

RHill
12-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I have had two SRM230s for about five years. Good reliable trimmers, never have they refused to start. Will occasionally break one of the plastic throttle handle, but cheap and easy to fix.

Randy

smallstripesnc
12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
I have had two SRM230s for about five years. Good reliable trimmers, never have they refused to start. Will occasionally break one of the plastic throttle handle, but cheap and easy to fix.

Randy

He got a srm266 and he says it has a lot of power and so far he loves it.

Im still considering either a srm230,srm266s,srm280s. Is the 280 decent for regular trimming on weekly accounts, and decent for edging? Or is it too much for that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaxscaper904
12-20-2012, 03:29 PM
The 280 is def decent I have a 230 that I use for regular trimming but its def not for no major trimming but all of around a good light duty trimmer and I can fill the tank on 230 and get thru 13 or 14 yards it very Efficient either model will do you good though
Posted via Mobile Device

jiggz
12-20-2012, 08:33 PM
I bought the Echo srm230 this summer from homedepot I only bought it because it was a factory service with full warenty and was only 199$.. Its a cable shaft but it really dosnt matter cause im not using attachments..

I hated this trimmer.. echo's head just sucks, the debris shield it bolted to the underside of the gearbox (normally I loosted it up a bit and slide it up to get out an inch more string) cant do it on this..Off the gate this machine just dosnt let out enough string for my liking.. If i edge with a trimmer I dont want to have to bend over to get the string to touch

after taking the cat out of the muffler, putting an old redmax head on it and a clamp on trimmer guard off a redmax.. I really like the trimmer because it has really comefortable grip, the way the enging balances on your arm, throttle switch.. yadda yadda.. but its still a tad bit heavy

I would go with the Redmax TR2350 over any other trimmer, steal shaft 9 pound beast..and at 270 bucks it cant be beat

smallstripesnc
12-20-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a redmax 2460S and literally hate it. Its been nothing but a pain and doesn't have the power I need. I bought it at the beginning of the season and wish I would of kept my Echo SRM225. It was much smoother and more reliable.

I have the cash for the SRM280 and I realize its a lot of power compared to the SRM230 and hope its not TOO much trimmer for weekly edging/trimming after mowing. But I do need occasional power for edging first time clients and even dealing with the spring growth. Plus the SRM280 doesn't have the speed feed head. It has a regular head on it. And I prefer to run without the guard and I know the SRM280 could handle an extra inch of line out when the redmax just can't take it.

Bunton Guy
12-21-2012, 10:09 PM
If he is in the Charlotte area have him go by Interstate equipment off hwy 74 in Matthews.

They will let him test a few trimmers to get an idea of what he wants.

Also Oakboro,Monroe & Concord tractor (all one parent company) have loaner Kawasaki & husqvarna trimmers to try out.

Personally I have husqvarna equipment & would suggest that to your friend.

BTW, there is no such thing as to much power. Get the larger size trimmer to the power is there when you need it. Im not sure why you are concerned with it having "to much power" for weekly service. The power is there when you need it

smallstripesnc
12-22-2012, 05:09 PM
I can't seem to find a SRM280S or a SRM266S or even just the plain SRM280 or SRM266. Just the "T" models. I'm not sure I could get used to the slower spinning line.

I've almost decided to just buy a SRM230 since I don't really need a trimmer for heavy stuff only weekly lawn clients and the occasional bi-weekly lawn and first time cuts that may be a little bad but not too bad. I'm definitely not cutting brush or 1ft high grass or anything.

Is the SRM230 a commercial unit? Or is the only commercial units the SRM266/SRM280?

grassman177
12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
The 280t is all we use and it has been fantastic, tons of power and balanced well.......we do however change the string guards cuz the factory ones suck.
Posted via Mobile Device

bel-nor
12-23-2012, 11:41 AM
I have all Echo trimmers and the SRM 230 and SRM 280 they are great. The good thing about Echo the practical maintenance parst can be purchased at HD or the dealer. The workers reach for the 230s I only use the 280 however it is heavier (steel shaft). The 230s I have had for 4 seasons with no problems. I carry extra (3) trimmer heads for quick swaps when run out of trimmer line. Get the traditional head models the trrimer heads fit both models. The 280 is great for overgrown properties with thick grass and weeds. Keep up the maintenance you should be able to tell when filters and plugs are needed. I only use Sta Mix premium outboard oil. If it works good in $9000.00 boat motors the handhelds are geating good treatment. Good luck. Merry Christmas to all.

Bowhog1
12-23-2012, 12:50 PM
bel-nor....That O/B oil is flavored for water cooled engines.Your trimmer operates at a higher temp.Due as you please but longevity will suffer.

bel-nor
12-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks BH.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
12-23-2012, 02:24 PM
I have all Echo trimmers and the SRM 230 and SRM 280 they are great. The good thing about Echo the practical maintenance parst can be purchased at HD or the dealer. The workers reach for the 230s I only use the 280 however it is heavier (steel shaft). The 230s I have had for 4 seasons with no problems. I carry extra (3) trimmer heads for quick swaps when run out of trimmer line. Get the traditional head models the trrimer heads fit both models. The 280 is great for overgrown properties with thick grass and weeds. Keep up the maintenance you should be able to tell when filters and plugs are needed. I only use Sta Mix premium outboard oil. If it works good in $9000.00 boat motors the handhelds are geating good treatment. Good luck. Merry Christmas to all.

i have one question though, do you have issues starting equipment when it is hot out? we have issues around 90 and above, getting things to idle, and we have not found out why. we use opti2 oil. we thing it is not the gas either as we have tried others.

bel-nor
12-23-2012, 02:41 PM
I have not had start up problems wether 35 or 105 degrees. Make sure at least once a season you replace the fuel filter, air filter and I use at 90 (hucks) octane gas. I make up 1.4 gallon cans and sometimes use 93 octane when it gets over 100 degrees. The goal is to make the best effort to have the engine fire on the first few pulls. With the choke on choke the second pull gets it started then slow slide the choke lever to run. We are in the same area I havent had any problems in the starting process. The SRM 280 has required fresh plugs during work conditions when it slowly was shuting down/loosing power. The new plug corrected all problems. The SRM was purchased from a JD dealer and required service shortly after purchase with in and out service. I was told a gasket was installed at the factory incorrectly.

ed2hess
12-23-2012, 05:16 PM
i have one question though, do you have issues starting equipment when it is hot out? we have issues around 90 and above, getting things to idle, and we have not found out why. we use opti2 oil. we thing it is not the gas either as we have tried others.

Need to crank the low end needle down......when hot it can get to much fuel on start and flood it. Gas makes no difference we run low octane with echo oil and have no trouble when it was over 100F.

Greg78
12-23-2012, 05:31 PM
SRM-230 is what we use. Nice light and plenty of power. Put on a speedfeed head and your good to go. They are commercial units.

grassman177
12-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Need to crank the low end needle down......when hot it can get to much fuel on start and flood it. Gas makes no difference we run low octane with echo oil and have no trouble when it was over 100F.

thank you very much, i will try this. every one of them is the same, and we have not been able to pin piont the cause.

crazyflyboy30
12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I been useing Ryobi 4-Cycle 30cc Straight Shaft Gas Trimmer for years with no problems one is 7 years old but it geting hard to start and a nother one is 3 years old and have 2 brand new in the box so I don't know why I thinking of get a Honda 35 CC Straight Shaft Gas Trimmer P.S. I only use 4-cycle every thing.