PDA

View Full Version : So are you in random drug testing?

4 seasons lawn&land
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
I got a Class A CDL this summer. Planned on keeping things simple with myself as the only driver. Just finding out that even the owner/operator needs to be enrolled in a random drug test program

Darryl G
12-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Random drug testing...that's dangerous!!!! You should always know what drugs you're taking so you know what to expect.

OK...but seriously. That just sounds weird...how exactly would one go about that? You arrange for someone to just show up randomly for a sample?

4 seasons lawn&land
12-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Worse. You arrange for someone to randomly call you and you have to up and leave immediatly to go get tested. Dont forget your check book

RussellB
12-18-2012, 11:21 AM
prior to retiring I had moved up quite far in management. When the cdl/drug testing laws were in acted we darted random drug testing. I kept my CDL after moving up. To my surprise (but didn't care) my name popped up for testing just about every other time. At the time we had close to 800 employees that were subject to random testing.

JB1
12-18-2012, 11:40 AM
prior to retiring I had moved up quite far in management. When the cdl/drug testing laws were in acted we darted random drug testing. I kept my CDL after moving up. To my surprise (but didn't care) my name popped up for testing just about every other time. At the time we had close to 800 employees that were subject to random testing.

you should have been buying lottery tickets with that luck.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-18-2012, 11:44 AM
this is about owners though. employees is one thing. Now its basically everyone in this business with this requirement, owner or not.

RussellB
12-18-2012, 01:13 PM
CDL laws are the same for everyone as they should be.

Moose's Mowing
12-18-2012, 03:03 PM
is this a national thing? Im in PA and haven't heard anything about this. I have a valid class A, but I don't use it for anything at the moment. I plan to keep it current. Do I have to "enroll" in something if I'm not actively driving?

4 seasons lawn&land
12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
only if you have dot numbers on a truck.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-18-2012, 04:20 PM
CDL laws are the same for everyone as they should be.

Go vote obama in for a 3rd term

RussellB
12-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Go vote obama in for a 3rd term
I haven't cast a vote for him as of yet. What's the deal with you anyway?? Issues much??

treemover
12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
It's not too random being the owner.... You have 30 days to go in once they give notice, you being the boss u tell ur employee anytime during the 30 days. Make sure you have your medical card as well
Posted via Mobile Device

davidhoy.pt
12-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Long time lurker, but.....I work for a company where we do occupational health. The standard is ALL CDL drivers (A and B) need to be enrolled in a drug testing program. For a single owner/operator, you can either be tested repeatedly or enter a consortium where you are enrolled with others to decrease your chances of being selected. Our local consortium has 500+ drivers, and half will be randomly (computerized) selected within a year. If selected, the cost for the drug test is approximately $50, otherwise there is no cost. Much better than facing the fines if not enrolled in a drug testing!

BTW, hang on there are more DOT regulation changes coming next year in regards to which physicians can provide DOT medical cards, most family doctors and primary care physicans will not be included in this registry.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I haven't cast a vote for him as of yet. What's the deal with you anyway?? Issues much??

Big issues with any type of regulations. Even the legitimate ones urk me let alone the silly ones. Any endorsement of regulations after all that I read today, isnt going to get the thumbs up by me or most people around here.

ksss
12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Everyone has to play the drug test consortium game. Here its about $50.00 per test Whenever they call you send in who they want. At the end of the year they will send you a year end results that include everyone in your consortium. Just part of the game we all play, or are supposed to play. If you are a business owner with CDL drivers and you are not in a consortium, you would be best to fix that before you get audited.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Im a new DOT enrolment so Im at the top of the list. I expect they'll be calling in the next few months.

davidhoy.pt
12-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I can see your frustration with regulations and the grey areas in DOT regs. I myself have an A, pay for a drug test and an annual medical card. But, I have a family that I love dearly and surley do not want someone operating a 40+ ton vehicle on the same roads that is under the influence of a non-prescribed chemical. As far as the medical card goes, I feel the same way. You would be surprised how many operators on the road have uncontrolled blood pressure, uncontrolled blood sugar, sleep apnea or are under the influence of chemicals.

AWJ Services
12-19-2012, 07:48 AM
I can see your frustration with regulations and the grey areas in DOT regs. I myself have an A, pay for a drug test and an annual medical card. But, I have a family that I love dearly and surley do not want someone operating a 40+ ton vehicle on the same roads that is under the influence of a non-prescribed chemical. As far as the medical card goes, I feel the same way. You would be surprised how many operators on the road have uncontrolled blood pressure, uncontrolled blood sugar, sleep apnea or are under the influence of chemicals.

Sounds good on paper but in reality drug tests are useless if the person is not required too take it imediatly. Most drugs are only in your system for a few days.
http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/timetable.htm

IN reality how many fatal accidents involving a CDL driver have been a direct result of drugs?

treemover
12-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Sounds good on paper but in reality drug tests are useless if the person is not required too take it imediatly. Most drugs are only in your system for a few days.
http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/timetable.htm

IN reality how many fatal accidents involving a CDL driver have been a direct result of drugs?

Not many! We have have the DOT rules we have to follow, but when it really comes down to it, how many of the wrecks are actually caused by the Commercial Driver? Most of the time it is the four wheel driver.

jrs.landscaping
12-19-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't know where 30 days comes into play, mine was next business day for the testing facility. Someone else said it doesn't matter who you are, owner employee or whoever YOU are still driving the CMV so the laws still apply. I guess I don't see the big deal other than the testing fee? As an owner I was more concerned about all the fees for operating the truck $50 here, $100 there.... that was worse than the random drug testing IMHO.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-19-2012, 08:29 PM
the most pointless part is really the log books. What a joke.

jrs.landscaping
12-19-2012, 09:03 PM
the most pointless part is really the log books. What a joke.

Same here. One of the reasons I gave up my apportioned plates. Tracking fuel mileage and where the fuel comes from!!? I like being Intrastate Excempt as I am now, no logs, no Med card and no drug testing.

tailboardtech
12-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Why did someone have to bring this up you jinxed me! Guess where I have been sitting since 7:00 this morning....
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
12-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Mine I was in and out, I only had 20 mins from the time I walked in to finish the whole process. I agree though, what a fun time that was :dizzy: