Schrock Lawns
12-18-2012, 11:19 PM
whatts some good online measuring tools to measure peoperty size ? thankss

doobs41378
12-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Findlotsize.com

Toro 455
12-19-2012, 07:02 AM
I like my Garmin e-trex vista. I just push the button on the "area calculator" page and walk around the perimiter of whatever I'm measuring. Then push the button again to claculate. I have it set to give the measurement in square feet.

It's acurate unless you get next to a tall building or something that makes it loose a satellite. When it messes up it's really obvious because it's so far off.

I think you can get one for around $100 now.

ralph02813
12-19-2012, 07:26 AM
I like my Garmin e-trex vista. I just push the button on the "area calculator" page and walk around the perimiter of whatever I'm measuring. Then push the button again to claculate. I have it set to give the measurement in square feet.

It's acurate unless you get next to a tall building or something that makes it loose a satellite. When it messes up it's really obvious because it's so far off.

I think you can get one for around $100 now.

Far as I can tell, closer to $200, I just bought a Keson RR318N 3-foot RoadRunner Measuring Wheel $50.00 includes shipping I'll just push the button on my pen! :-)

Duekster
12-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Google Earth

PlantscapeSolutions
12-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Google Earth

I use Google Earth as well for free. You can buy an upgraded package as well that I suspect is much better.

captken
12-19-2012, 08:15 PM
This is what we use. It is free and easy to use. It is by Google. It is not Google Earth. It is Google Maps. It uses images from Google Earth.
It is called Daft Logic.
Google Maps Area Calculator Tool. Here is the link to try for yourself.

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

hope this helps.

finneylawns
12-19-2012, 09:36 PM
I use Zillow to get an idea of the lot size.

www.zillow.com

Enter an address and it will tell you the lot size and the house size. Subtract the house from the lot and you have a rough estimate of yard size. Still have to deduct the concrete for the driveway, side walks, pools, etc. I usually don't do this, because I do not think the easement property is included in the lot size.

They also have an app for the iPhone.

P.Services
12-19-2012, 10:00 PM
This is what we use. It is free and easy to use. It is by Google. It is not Google Earth. It is Google Maps. It uses images from Google Earth.
It is called Daft Logic.
Google Maps Area Calculator Tool. Here is the link to try for yourself.

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

hope this helps.

i tried that site and the link shows up just fine but the site does nothing when you click on "search area" or try to login or create a free user name.

am i the only one??

BOSS LAWN 2343
12-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Findlotsize.com

This is the site I use for winter commercial lots, otherwise Google earth.

If this doesnt help, just go do a property walk around.

captken
12-20-2012, 01:02 AM
i tried that site and the link shows up just fine but the site does nothing when you click on "search area" or try to login or create a free user name. am i the only one??

You just have to learn to use it. Type in the address in the Search for Location at the top of the page.
Zoom in on property.
Move your pointer to the corner of a property that you want to start at then click on it.
You have placed an point icon on that spot, points are red.
Area measured shows green.
Go to the next corner and do the same thing. You have created a straight line. Click the 3rd corner, you have created a green triangle. Click the 4th corner, you have a green square or what ever shape, depending on the properties shape.
The area calculation automatically updates as you place pin points along the perimeter.
This information is displayed as

Output : Current Area
0 m≤
0 km≤
0 acres
0 hectare
0 square feet
0 square nautical miles
Current Perimeter
0.000m OR 0.000feet

You can delete or clear points using the buttons displayed.

hope this helps:waving:

You can measure irregular shapes easily with some practice.
Btw, I have never logged in or had an account, it just works for me.

captken
12-20-2012, 01:19 AM
I just tried findlotsize.com. It's the same base as Google's Daft Logic, just dressed a little differently Either one will work. Daft Logic gives you more information and options, findlotsize appears to be a dumbed up version that is easier to learn.

Which ever one is easier for you to use is the one to go with.

kenny.

ralph02813
12-20-2012, 05:13 AM
I am sticking to the walk around only because lot size is not always an indicator of what you cut. I have several people with acreage most of which remains wooded. The other nice thing about a walk around is you can measure gardens for mulch while you are at it. And lastly, you had better walk the property before you cut - just in case.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
12-20-2012, 06:02 AM
I use Measure Map, it's an app for iPhone/iPad. Love it and its free.
Posted via Mobile Device

TimNNJ
12-20-2012, 07:05 AM
goilawn.com...anyone else use it?

TriCityLawnCareLLC
12-20-2012, 08:43 AM
goilawn.com...anyone else use it?

i dont like giloawn. i tried it 2 different times and it was hard to use. no only hard to use but if you made a mistake i couldnt go back and it still charged me. im sure if i was proficient at using it it would be ok but its expensive and there are other sources that you can use to measure properties:usflag:

P.Services
12-20-2012, 07:34 PM
You just have to learn to use it. Type in the address in the Search for Location at the top of the page.
Zoom in on property.
Move your pointer to the corner of a property that you want to start at then click on it.
You have placed an point icon on that spot, points are red.
Area measured shows green.
Go to the next corner and do the same thing. You have created a straight line. Click the 3rd corner, you have created a green triangle. Click the 4th corner, you have a green square or what ever shape, depending on the properties shape.
The area calculation automatically updates as you place pin points along the perimeter.
This information is displayed as

Output : Current Area
0 m≤
0 km≤
0 acres
0 hectare
0 square feet
0 square nautical miles
Current Perimeter
0.000m OR 0.000feet

You can delete or clear points using the buttons displayed.

hope this helps:waving:

You can measure irregular shapes easily with some practice.
Btw, I have never logged in or had an account, it just works for me.

I type the address in and click search and it does nothing.....thats it. Huh maybe i need to use the dumb version. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

captken
12-20-2012, 09:21 PM
I type the address in and click search and it does nothing.....thats it. Huh maybe i need to use the dumb version. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

I don't know what to say! Something is wrong. It works fine here...:confused:

Hopefully you can find a program to your liking.

ralph02813
12-21-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't know what to say! Something is wrong. It works fine here...:confused:

Hopefully you can find a program to your liking.

Hmmm I am no computer expert, so I just want share this: I always had trouble down loading updates and sometimes using on line services, this past fall I switched from cox cable to fios - I feel like I have arrived in the electronic age - so in may have something to do with your internet carrier - try google help

LFD 1249
12-23-2012, 07:54 AM
I use service vines app. For my iPhone. I will give me an idea of the lot size. But always go look for yourself. I would hate to bid something off of a map. Then find out they put in a pool or something and it wasn't on the map. Lol. I laugh cause it happened. Lesson learned!
Posted via Mobile Device