PDA

View Full Version : Hard water deposits - any suggestions on prevention

dougkenney
12-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Anybody have any suggestions or tricks on slowing down or preventing hard water deposits from building up on the lenses of uplights? I try to keep the lights at a slight angle which lets the water drain off but over time buildup of deposits still occurs. Thanks.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Are you using fixtures that have convex lenses, or just flat glass? Since making the switch to convex lensed fixtures I have had no more issues with lenses calcifying or clouding up with mineral deposits.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Are you using Halogen or LED lamps? The heat from halogen lamps is often enough to heat up any standing water and evaporate it, leaving the mineral deposits behind. Switch to LED lamps and this does not happen in most cases. The heat from the LED lamps is not enough to evaporate the standing water off the lens

Steve Atkinson
12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Have you tried a windshield protection product such as Rain-X on the lenses? In the past, I used it in lighting systems for areas with hard water or well water, and the water runs right off. Probably should apply at least 2x per year.

Once the lens is etched with that hard water cooked by a hot lamp, you will have to replace the lens. Or just refer to it as FROSTED.

Darryl G
12-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes, once it's etched it's etched, but mineral deposits can be removed with a weak acid such as vinegar or lemon juice. You can try toilet bowl cleaner too.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-20-2012, 03:10 PM
CLR works best to remove those deposits.

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

Lite4
12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
I can usually just scrape the deposits off the glass with a razor blade. Has anyone has success removing deposits off the fixture bodies without destroying the bronze finish of most brass lights?
Posted via Mobile Device

steveparrott
12-20-2012, 05:43 PM
CLR is the best we've found to remove the deposits. Buy the spray version. Spray some on the lens, then use this trick (from Steve Middleton, Treasure Coast Landscape Lighting).

Using a drill bit that has a flat round pad on the end (for sanding), cut out a green scrubby and glue it to the pad. Put the bit in the drill, select a low speed and scrub away the deposits - it just takes a few seconds.

Use a damp cloth to wipe the lens, dry it, then spray on Rain-Ex.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-20-2012, 11:40 PM
I just spray on, let sit, wipe off. Never had to scrub. Perhaps there is different types of calcification based on water chemistry?

44DCNF
12-23-2012, 04:29 AM
Try Fluid Film for removing mineral deposits.

starry night
12-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Try Fluid Film for removing mineral deposits.

Thanks for that tip. I am a Fluid Film user and have wondered after entering the lighting field what the various uses might be. I used it a few weeks ago on Cast brass fixtures to see if it would prevent the white powdering. So far it has worked although that may be coincidental rather than a result.

For those of you that don't know the product, it is lanolin-based. I am getting ready to put a coating of it on my work boots before I go out in our first snow today.