PDA

View Full Version : Possibly looking to buy a new ZTR

HPI_Savage25
12-20-2012, 06:21 PM
This is related to the 28 acre account I may be getting to also keep it maintained. Along with this account, I am also getting an account in March to cut about 2 acres. It is a mobile home lot (new homes for sale). I currently only have a 1996 Walker GHS with a 36" deck. Good mower but it has some age and it's not quite as reliable as I would like it to be with these bigger jobs coming up.

In my area I have dealers for Toro, Husquvarna (sp?), Walker, Exmark, and John Deere.

Right now I am mainly looking at a Exmark 52" or 60" Lazer Z S or X Series? Is it worth the extra money for the X Series? Also EFI or no?

I will be renting a Exmark 60" next week so that will give me some seat time on one to see how I actually like it or don't.

Thanks for the advice and help!

herler
12-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Not trying to tell you what to do but as a rule we don't buy a piece of equipment on account of one job.
No, I don't care how big a job, and if the job is so big that I have to consider buying equipment just to tackle it then that means it's too big for us to handle, very simple rules I have learned to live by over the years.

Now if I could only learn to stop taking people's sorry ass half broke hand held homeowner cheap grade equipment they give us because they think they're doing us a favor where I end up spending MONEY just to throw it in the garbage because the crap costs more to fix than it does to buy another, if I could only learn to tell these people that to their face instead of filling up the basement with these pieces of hoarded space-eating worthless 2-cycle turds, if I could do that I'd be set.

orangemower
12-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Not trying to tell you what to do but as a rule we don't buy a piece of equipment on account of one job.
No, I don't care how big a job, and if the job is so big that I have to consider buying equipment just to tackle it then that means it's too big for us to handle.

This couldn't be farther from the truth and what's with "us"? You don't have employee's.

herler
12-20-2012, 07:03 PM
This couldn't be farther from the truth and what's with "us"? You don't have employee's.

Well you go on and take on payments on a piece of equipment that you couldn't afford and then have the one job that was so big it took ALL your resources go south on you and see WHO shows up at YOUR door!

REPOMAN!

You ain't got nothing to fall back on, put all your eggs in one basket and that doesn't concern you at all?

And if you manage to somehow squeeze past the guy(s) coming to take their equipment back (which apparently certain subcultures have started to excel at doing) it's going to ruin your credit and it will be a long time before anyone ever gives you a loan again, that's besides running dealers into the ground which apparently certain low lifes don't seem to mind doing based on the excuse of having to feed the family that's still two wrongs which doesn't make it right.

But y'all who know everything go on already and prove me wrong, let me know how it turns out.

Here, I'll spoil it for you again:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=253180
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=392991

jrs.landscaping
12-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Well you go on and take on payments then have the one job that was so big it took ALL your resources go south on you and see WHO shows up at YOUR door!

REPOMAN!

And if you manage to somehow squeeze past the guy(s) coming to take their equipment back it's going to ruin your credit and it will be a long time before anyone ever gives you a loan again, that's besides running dealers into the ground which apparently certain low lifes don't seem to mind doing based on the excuse of having to feed the family that's still two wrongs which doesn't make it right.

We just spent 43k on equipment/trucks becuase we picked up a large account, we also hired another guy for 20+k per year. I guess the repo man must have the wrong address :rolleyes:

PabsMaster
12-20-2012, 07:12 PM
I agree with herler. I used a old Craftsman for years. It was not commercial, and I had to double cut all my lawns. Sometimes even 3 or 4 times over. It sucked I wanted a new machine so bad. I new that deep down it would be a mistake. I waited until stuff starting falling apart on the thing. After I could not handle the amount of yards I had to do in a day and I had a stable income, I fixed and sold the old one and got a Scag SFW walk behind. At first I wanted an exmark or toro fixed deck. I was once again letting my emotions get in the way. I realized that you don't need all the fancy stuff on everything. True it has no kawasaki engine, no ecs handles, no flat free front casters. BUT it saved me $700!!!! and it works just fine! Its reliable and gets the job done.

Hope this helps!

pabs

HPI_Savage25
12-20-2012, 07:16 PM
I would use the mower on two accounts and also on my residential yards that don't require bagging. As it is now, I am bagging 90% of my yards. Only about 50% of them actually have to be bagged. I would be cutting down on my dump fees and time. Also having a more reliable mower. Nothing like behing in the middle of a yard and having to call it a day and work on a mower. Which in the past few months has been happening quite a bit :/

jrs.landscaping
12-20-2012, 07:18 PM
I agree with herler. I used a old Craftsman for years. It was not commercial, and I had to double cut all my lawns. Sometimes even 3 or 4 times over. It sucked I wanted a new machine so bad. I new that deep down it would be a mistake. I waited until stuff starting falling apart on the thing. After I could not handle the amount of yards I had to do in a day and I had a stable income, I fixed and sold the old one and got a Scag SFW walk behind. At first I wanted an exmark or toro fixed deck. I was once again letting my emotions get in the way. I realized that you don't need all the fancy stuff on everything. True it has no kawasaki engine, no ecs handles, no flat free front casters. BUT it saved me $700!!!! and it works just fine! Its reliable and gets the job done.

Hope this helps!

pabs

So you lost production because your mower was broken and you think you saved money :hammerhead:. To the OP consider trading in your Walker for two larger units. You never said if bagging was required or not. If not consider buying a couple of standers, they have great range from large or small yards allowing you to be more diverse. If bagging I would have to say go with the 52" Z, we like Deere but whoever has the best service is who I would choose.

PabsMaster
12-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh for equipment. If I was going to buy a ztr I would go Kohler EFI. If you dont need an x series then the S series would be fine. If you maintain it it will last forever.

HPI_Savage25
12-20-2012, 07:25 PM
What would classify as "needing" an X series?

I do have a few yards that require bagging. I will keep the Walker regardless. It just needs a little TLC this winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

PabsMaster
12-20-2012, 07:29 PM
So you lost production because your mower was broken and you think you saved money :hammerhead:.

I fixed it several times. I even had to welded it more than once. With out the new mower I would not nearly have the number of accounts that I have today. I am also in Highschool so time is a major problem for me. Everyday during season I come home from school and go cut until the sun goes down. The next morning I wake up and go cut some more. Come home and finish homework. From March to September. 6 days a week. Thats the reason for the new equipment.

pabs

HPI_Savage25
12-20-2012, 07:35 PM
I know how you feel bud. I did the same thing. I am a current horticulture student and should be finished up in about 8 months. I am in class from 9-2:30 so by the time I get home it's 3 and get to the first yard it's 3:15-3:30 so I have enough time to do about 2 yards. Having downtime because of a mower isn't fun when you don't have a backup! Hence why I want a new mower. Plus 3 year warranty would be nice to!
Posted via Mobile Device

kawasaki guy
12-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I have never used an Exmark, but the cut they leave blows me away. The Scag machines are nice too I hear. :waving::)

BrunoT
12-20-2012, 08:58 PM
This is related to the 28 acre account I may be getting to also keep it maintained. Along with this account, I am also getting an account in March to cut about 2 acres. It is a mobile home lot (new homes for sale). I currently only have a 1996 Walker GHS with a 36" deck. Good mower but it has some age and it's not quite as reliable as I would like it to be with these bigger jobs coming up.

In my area I have dealers for Toro, Husquvarna (sp?), Walker, Exmark, and John Deere.

Right now I am mainly looking at a Exmark 52" or 60" Lazer Z S or X Series? Is it worth the extra money for the X Series? Also EFI or no?

I will be renting a Exmark 60" next week so that will give me some seat time on one to see how I actually like it or don't.

Thanks for the advice and help!

I agree with the previous comment to be wary of buying a machine for just one account. I did that on the other end of things, getting a 32" I otherwise never neeeded just to fit in a small gate/big back yard situation. Of course that account eventually drops and you wind up parking the thing and taking a depreciation hit. With a $11,000 mower, just be sure you're going to be able to use it elsewhere if this job ends.

EFI saves fuel but I have heard more anecdotal accounts of problems with EFI engines on all brands.

I checked Exmarks recently and for my use found no reason to go up to X from S, but I do smaller lots and don't abuse the thing. If you prefer Kawasaki (I do) in 60" plus you'd need to go X, I believe.

The X is a little faster but my thinking is you can't really mow nice turf faster than 10mph anyway.

The X seat would be nice for large acreage, but I assume it's optional on the S.

But it seems to me that when they get this big the S and X are more alike than different. No real downside to the X other than perhaps a less proven spindle design (though supposed to be stronger) and a little more weight.

weeze
12-20-2012, 09:18 PM
i would suggest looking at the deere's and husqvarna's as well. any of them will do the job. go with the cheapest price.

orangemower
12-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Well you go on and take on payments on a piece of equipment that you couldn't afford and then have the one job that was so big it took ALL your resources go south on you and see WHO shows up at YOUR door!
That's part of the risk when in business.

You ain't got nothing to fall back on, put all your eggs in one basket and that doesn't concern you at all? Yes it does but again, it's a risk that you have to be willing to take to further grow a business.

But y'all who know everything go on already and prove me wrong, let me know how it turns out.

I bought a brand new Scag with bagger kit, a new trailer, a BOP mower, hand held power tools, all kinds of accessories to make being a solo operation easier. It took 3 years to pay off everything. I started out with no clients and went door to door. Found a bunch of customers and now have more then doubled my work load just in the last few months! I had enough to keep me working 2-3 days a week and still support a family, mortgage and all the other bills. Now I took on close to double the work load and it's all within 2 miles from home! Life my friend is all about risk.

ashgrove landscaping
12-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Go for the trade in and get a nice 52 or 60 in. Z. It will suit your present needs and give you more of a future to take on bigger properties. Bigger and faster equal more money especially if you are solo. I use a 60 in. Z on everything. Trimming makes the man! If you trim out a place tight and neat with the proper fade every time you'll see how a bigger mower, with in reason, is more profitable. Take the risk, cause you will only fall behind if you don't and that's what business is all about, taking that calculated risk. Good luck.

HPI_Savage25
01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Ok so a 60" is out of the question as my yards are too small for such a big mower. I am thinking of a LazerZ S series with the Kawasaki motor. Any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

HPI_Savage25
01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Went to edit but its been past 10 mins but I am thinking a 48" which is the series 4 deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

kawasaki guy
01-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Heck, do a search of the forum, and there are thousands of threads on this I bet.

weaver
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM

Is it me or do you two bump heads on alot of different topics?:laugh:

weaver
01-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Went to edit but its been past 10 mins but I am thinking a 48" which is the series 4 deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what i got but with the Kohler and really like. Biggest lawn i have is a little over an acre with the rest just being sub division lots.. It gets in and out of alot of tight spaces and still quick enough when i do get to the bigger jobs..

dathorpe
01-19-2013, 07:35 AM
If the 28 acres has a lot of open areas, I go with the 60" Lazer Z S series but I'm always going to lean toward the 60's over 52's. I actually prefer Scag and in your situation I think a Tiger Cat would do a great job but you didn't list Scag as an option. The finance offers are awesome right now. I think Exmark is 0% for 36 months and Scag is 0% for 48 months. Perfect for a young guy moving up in business.

Also, if you have a chance to land a 28 acre account you've got to make that work. This is the type of account that can launch a start up business into a real legitimate business. An earlier poster said, "life my friend is all about risk". Another said, "take the risk because you will only fall behind if you don't". They are both ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. When I first started my business, I bought equipment for one job... on many occasions. I took on jobs that were actually way too big for me. I hired guys and then I worked my butt off to make sure that the client was happy. I take risks and I've been rewarded for those risks. To me, this is a no-brainer. You'll pay for the new mower in no time with that 28 acre account. Carpe Diem.