PDA

View Full Version : A day in the life of a landscaper

jaclawn
08-19-2000, 08:42 PM
What is a typical work day like for you? Mine is generally as follows:

4:30- Get up, read paper, Check in @ lawnsite, read/send email. Eat breakfast.

5:30- Start on paperwork, billing, A/P, quotations, tax forms...

6:30- Head for shop, do any last minute adjustments, load material for day, mix chemicals, fuel all equipment...

7:30- Arrive at first jobsite. (First job is generally a commercial, vacant house, or a job that is quiet.)

7:30-11:00- Continue on the route, completing jobs.

11:30-11:45- Lunch.

11:45-17:30/18:30- Finish the days jobs.

17:30/18:30 Back @ shop, dump debris@ shop, do any major repairs, Start getting things in motion for next day.

19:00- Head home, Shower, Dinner

20:00 Check back in @ Lawnsite, return any phone calls.

21:00 Bedtime.

little green guy
08-19-2000, 10:46 PM
How do you get up at 4:30!?!? I'm usually just going to bed then!

My day usually starts at 7:30 so i stumble out of bed around 7:15 and then we meet at the shop at 7:30 and start working. Have lunch whenever, and usually get done between 6:30 and 8:30

jaclawn
08-20-2000, 07:09 AM
LGG- I get up @ 4:30 because I go to bed @ 21:00 or so. How do you stay up till 4:30?

How can you get out of bed, dressed, breakfast, and to the shop in 15 minutes?

There is nothing like getting up early. Try it sometime.

cos
08-20-2000, 09:35 AM
sounds about typical

RYAN
08-20-2000, 12:28 PM
No offense jaclawn but it sounds like you need a life. Up at 4:30 in bed by 9:00 work all day and sleep it sounds like. I go to be at midnight and wake up at 8 am. I am not a morning person at all and getting up for me is the hardest part. I start mowing around 9am I work till about 6:30 or 7:30 then have the rest of the night free. no way I could ever go to bed at 9pm sorry

Guido
08-20-2000, 12:41 PM
I can remember when I used to party till 3 or 4 in the morning and then head to work @ 7 and I hated every minute of the morning!!!

Ever since I joined the military, I got forced to appreciate the early morning rises. (Get your mind out of the gutter guys, thats not what I mean!)

I actually enjoy it now, and If I'm up for an hour or 2 relaxing before work, it really helps. I feel refreshed and alive by the time I start work, and I runcircles around the ones that did the $hit, shave, and shower thing in 15 minutes! :)

JACLAWN - Sounds like your pretty dedicated to your business, which is good but I hope if you have a family you get to spend enough time with them. Don't forget theres a lot of things that come first in life before a profit!!

cos
08-20-2000, 01:09 PM
kudos guido, well said

TGCummings
08-20-2000, 02:07 PM
Excellent, Guido, well said.

My day starts at 6 AM (I am a morning person :) ). I rise, eat breakfast, check Lawnsite/e-mail, and get ready for work. My shop is at home, so I have to load the trailer before leaving.

We leave the house between 7:30-8:00 and my first stop is to drop the wife at work. I then do bank deposits and drop mail before heading to my first job. I usually rev the machines up by 8:15.

On a typical day, I cut lawns from that time until 5:00, when I go to pick up the wife from work. Somewhere along the way I wolf down one of my wife's delicious homemade sandwiches in the truck between lawns. Generally, I don't remember doing it. ;)

One or two days a week, I'll take break at 11:45 and pick up the wife for lunch. On those days I'm generally away from work from that time to 13:15. Those much needed breaks are life-savers, but I couldn't get away with that everyday.

We usually pull back in between 17:15-17:30 and have dinner. After dinner, I usually grab a cold MGD and a cigarette (generally, I smoke one/day) and head out to unload the trailer and do adjustments for the next day. I'm generally back inside my 19:00 where I get to work on paperwork, scheduling, researching, and checking in at Lawnsite. Then, I grab a shower and, nowadays, put in an hour of study for my pesticide exam between 20:00 and 21:00. I spend 21:00 to 23:00 with the wife, do some reading and get to bed by 23:00-23:30.

Except Wednesday nights, when we bowl. :D

I think a full mix of work time, fun time, and family time is essential.

Good thread, jac, this is fun! :)

-TGC

Kevin
08-20-2000, 02:10 PM
Old schedule: Up at 6,help getting kids to caregiver. mow 7:45 to 2:30 pm, 3:00-11:30 work full time job,12:30 home and sleep. Did for 3.5 years New schedule Up at 6, help with kids,mow etc. until 5:00, home and happy .

little green guy
08-20-2000, 02:10 PM
Hey guys i'm still young! I got to have a life sometime.

Jaclawn- I can get to work by 7:30 cause I roll out of bed get dressed and stuff in about 10 minuts. My shop is only a block away from my house so it takes me like 30 seconds to get there. For breakfast i just grab something somewhere near where working and eat in the truck or on the job.

I tried getting up earlya couple times and I was wasted by 9:00am.(i even went to bed early that night) I don't like it, dosn't work for me. mabey i'll try agian sometime though. I don't understand how you can go to bed at 9:00 every night, my night is just starting at 9:00 :-)

Guido- for some reason mornings arn't that bad for me. I just drink a couple pepsi's and I'm fine.

Kevin
08-20-2000, 02:18 PM
Forgot my new thing , getting up 20 mins earlier and working out on my TotalGym. Feels great so far 2 exercises work out 80% of your muscles. Been riding on the Lazer alot this year and I was starting to feel it.

Charles
08-20-2000, 04:12 PM
I am up at 6am. Leave around 8. Lunch around 1pm to 1:30. Home by 6pm. Cummings sound like we have about the same schedule. Man jac, you have to leave time for living. You not getting any younger

TGCummings
08-20-2000, 05:18 PM
Yeah, Charles, I've noticed a lot of similarities in our operations since joining Lawnsite. Seems like most of the time you make a point I'm going, "That's what I would've said..." ;)

-TGC

Guido
08-20-2000, 05:30 PM
TGC and JACLAWN - You made me laugh. I can't even get the guys on my crew here in the Air Force to think military time, and you guys are throwing it out there!! I tell them to be somewhere @ 1800 or get such and such a thing done by 1900 and when it doesn't get done, they count on their fingers and say " oh $hit, 1800 is 6PM, ohhhhhhh man! Wooops!"

LOSERS!!! I'd like to trade some of them out with you guys!!

TGCummings
08-20-2000, 06:40 PM
LOL! I was just following Jac's lead on this one. I had my piece written up on civilian time and went back and changed it over to make it more clear.

But ... happy to oblige. ;)

jaclawn
08-20-2000, 07:27 PM
Guys, I do have a life. I treat myself to one hour of televieion per week! (Not kidding).

Actually, I am still fairly young, (Even though one of the 18 year old laborers refered to me as "the old guy"). I learned long ago of the miracle of compounding interest. My hopes are to stockpile as much as I can, as young as I can, so that later in life I can mow till noon, then spend the afternoons on the golf course. (It's a green thing).

It works out well, I am single. I work every other Sun. in the field, one Sun. per month is reserved for major equipment repairs/maintence, and one Sun. per month is reserved for my day off. I do put in ALOT of hours, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I tried the go out to bars thing, go to sporting events, take vacation, and frankly, I was bored out of my mind. I would much rather work.

There have been times where I would get home, shower, and get in bed, then as soon as I got up and dressed, be back out there. To tell you the truth, I kinda liked it.

I did want to make one slight correction to my first post. Sometimes I will completely forget about lunch till I am headed for home, and then realize my bucket is still full.

My God, you have made me realize that I really don't have a life!

Barkleymut
08-20-2000, 07:39 PM
Don't worry Jaclawn, your not the only workaholic on here. Heck, if that's your only addiction I'd say your doing pretty well. I just put in 25 hours this weekend after a 55 hour week. It's hell on the body but great on the bottom line.

gusbuster
08-21-2000, 03:25 PM
Along the lines of waking up early, How many of you, when on vacation, wake up your normal time. Mine's 0530 and to bed at around 2200, unles ER. is on and not re-runs.

It drives my wife NUTS that I wake up my normal time without an alarm clock going off.Vacation, Sundays, it doesn't matter. The only way I sleep in is if I was drinking the night before. Then maybe I sleep in until 0700.

More or less
up:0530
check email,bills Lawnsite.com
out of house:0600
coffee and paper until
0715-0730
lunch around 1230-1330
back home around 1730
start dinner whenever I decide but we eat by
John

Guido
08-21-2000, 04:09 PM
Vacations bore you , huh?? Maybe you need to take a vacation that has to do with work, like head to The lawn expo next year, or to trade shows or equipment seminars, etc.

I enjoy those more than the regular old vacations!!

Tony S
08-21-2000, 04:39 PM
This was the best part of having my own biz.. I get up at 7am , meet the crews at the shop
@ 8am when they punch in. (I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON) When all is said and
done, after paperwork, and fixing anything that broke that day, I am usually logging on to
lawnsite @ 10:30 - 11:00pm to see what I missed. Ya, I work too much. Oh Well.