PDA

View Full Version : Subsidiary or NOT?

cutman2000
12-21-2012, 09:42 AM
If and when I start another company, that may compliment, but not necessarily enhance the parent, could I avoid registering it under the parent but still call it a division or subsidiary of the original company or parent? Would that be unlawful?

tonygreek
12-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Would that be unlawful?
Not at all. Assuming you want a distinct name for it, just file for a Fictitious Name/DBA. Just be aware that your taxes and liabilities are intertwined.

Disclaimer: check with your state, an attorney, and blah blah blah

cutman2000
12-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Not at all. Assuming you want a distinct name for it, just file for a Fictitious Name/DBA. Just be aware that your taxes and liabilities are intertwined.

Disclaimer: check with your state, an attorney, and blah blah blah
Well the name/company will be LLC or INC

tonygreek
12-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I reread your original post. I read it as you wanting to start a new company and have it as a division, but what you want to do is keep your company of Coke, start a company called Pepsi, not have them be actually related, but state/market/imply that they are?

If I'm now following you correctly, is there any non-marketing reason you want to do this, or is it just to say that the new company is related to the older, recognized name? One thing I think it would do, and while not an attorney, is that it could open the companies up to cross-liability by the ol' piercing of the corporate veil.

cutman2000
12-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I reread your original post. I read it as you wanting to start a new company and have it as a division, but what you want to do is keep your company of Coke, start a company called Pepsi, not have them be actually related, but state/market/imply that they are?

If I'm now following you correctly, is there any non-marketing reason you want to do this, or is it just to say that the new company is related to the older, recognized name? One thing I think it would do, and while not an attorney, is that it could open the companies up to cross-liability by the ol' piercing of the corporate veil.
Well yeah, I want to eliminate the cross-liability.