PDA

View Full Version : Dot ?

jf69
12-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Looking for some help on registering for a dot #. I just recently purchased a dump truck..3500 with dump. When looking at dot application I cant figure out what classification to file under... motor carrier, private etc... and do we have to fill in for hazmat because of the gasoline? How are you guys filling out the application? Seems like it is not geared at all for landscapers.. any info woud be apprecaited.

jrs.landscaping
12-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Are you for hire or only use the trucks for your companies work?
Are you travelling Interstate or Intrastate?
Are you travelling more than 100 air miles from your garaging location?
Is your truck registered for more than 26k GCW?

As for hazmat, no, unless you have are hauling bulk amounts of fuel on your truck, and then you would need an endorsement as well and a bunch of other reg's.

jf69
12-21-2012, 11:38 AM
just using truck for work, and dont leave the state. its 11,000lbs and dont do 100 miles per day..

jrs.landscaping
12-21-2012, 11:45 AM
In Maine we aren't required to have a DOT # unless answer yes to the questions I asked. It is air miles, not how many miles you travel in a day. If your truck drives more than 100 air miles from where it is registered. Another thing if you plan on hauling a trailer make sure you register your truck for the GCW of the truck and trailer. I learned that one the hard way from a state trooper :hammerhead:

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
12-21-2012, 03:50 PM
In Maine we aren't required to have a DOT # unless answer yes to the questions I asked. It is air miles, not how many miles you travel in a day. If your truck drives more than 100 air miles from where it is registered. Another thing if you plan on hauling a trailer make sure you register your truck for the GCW of the truck and trailer. I learned that one the hard way from a state trooper :hammerhead:

Combo weight is important and may vary from state to state. Many don't completely understand that, even many law enforcement. Also, DOT physical card required for any combo of 10k and above.