PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a Toro Timemaster 30

Smallaxe
12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
I've decided that in spite of everything I really need a decent sized push mower that can be used in a heavily populated area of trees...
Ride-ons of any kind makes way too many dead zones because there is no way to travel alternate routes, cornering is necessary in the same place every time,and the sod isn't very deep rooted in a shady area with so many trees...

There are the main 3 reasons for taking the risk on the Timemaster 30...
So my question is:

Am I still a fool for investing in one of those things???
Its only about 7 acres per week that I need it for...

Duekster
12-21-2012, 06:58 PM
The commercial version will be out this spring.

larryinalabama
12-21-2012, 07:04 PM
The commercial version will be out this spring.

I may get one, or another Snapper 21.

Smallaxe
12-21-2012, 07:22 PM
And that's what I'm wondering,,, if it is better to get the 'Residential' version in its 2nd year or the 'Commercial' version in its Debut Year, since I only have 5 - 7 acres to maintain...

Hopefully more of the bugs worked out of its residential machine???

Duekster
12-21-2012, 07:30 PM
The commercial version will have a Kawi engine that is proven. The wheels are likely to be the same on the 21" commercial toro

sjessen
12-21-2012, 07:32 PM
It looks like the commercial version makes more sense in your application. I am going back and forth between a resi mower and the commercial version too. At least with the commercial version we get a longer warranty and, most likely, they will do free upgrades for a while. All that said, $999 is a lot more attractive price than $1799.

Above Par Lawns
12-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I have it, it's not bad at all. It mulches really well and it really cuts down on time on locations you have to push. I mulched leaves on a weekly basis with it this Fall for 5 of my clients. One pass with the mulch plug, then another pass with the bag on it and the yards were spotless. I'm sure the commercial version will be better, but if you don't have the extra money to spend on it this one should do fine for you. I'm the only one to operate mine and I take care of my equipment so I think I'll get some life out of it.

Duekster
12-21-2012, 07:37 PM
It looks like the commercial version makes more sense in your application. I am going back and forth between a resi mower and the commercial version too. At least with the commercial version we get a longer warranty and, most likely, they will do free upgrades for a while. All that said, $999 is a lot more attractive price than $1799.

I suspect you can get the commercial version for the mid 16 or less.

Smallaxe
12-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Good point... I'll need the dealer to get one of each for a side by side comparison... :)

sjessen
12-21-2012, 07:40 PM
One other thought: the commercial version is a good bit heavier than the Timemaster.

Above Par Lawns
12-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the warranty is voided on the residential version if being used for commercial use. That may be something to consider.

* It's not the best picture, but this was taken first time using the Time Master.

sjessen
12-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the warranty is voided on the residential version if being used for commercial use. That may be something to consider.

* It's not the best picture, but this was taken first time using the Time Master.

Warranty for commercial use of residential mowers used to be 90 days. Not sure what it is now.

Above Par Lawns
12-21-2012, 07:49 PM
One other thought: the commercial version is a good bit heavier than the Timemaster.

And the timemaster isn't light. Good luck hoisting the commercial version into the back of your truck. The fold up handle is convenient and saves space in garage/trailer, but it makes it awkward as hell to lift.

Smallaxe
12-21-2012, 08:15 PM
I have it, it's not bad at all. It mulches really well and it really cuts down on time on locations you have to push. I mulched leaves on a weekly basis with it this Fall for 5 of my clients. One pass with the mulch plug, then another pass with the bag on it and the yards were spotless. I'm sure the commercial version will be better, but if you don't have the extra money to spend on it this one should do fine for you. I'm the only one to operate mine and I take care of my equipment so I think I'll get some life out of it.

So you're saying the commercial unit may outlive me... :)

Above Par Lawns
12-21-2012, 08:16 PM
So you're saying the commercial unit may outlive me... :)

Lets hope not!
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
12-21-2012, 08:44 PM
And the timemaster isn't light. Good luck hoisting the commercial version into the back of your truck. The fold up handle is convenient and saves space in garage/trailer, but it makes it awkward as hell to lift.

I only lift pinewood planks on and off the back of the truck... :)

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-21-2012, 08:50 PM
What about the weight and the moist/wet ground this time of year, rut at all?

Above Par Lawns
12-21-2012, 11:09 PM
What about the weight and the moist/wet ground this time of year, rut at all?

No problems yet with rutting. It is a bit heavy though so I could see it happening if you're not careful. It's not a bad idea to have a real light 21" handy at all times if you think it's to wet and want to be cautious.

Above Par Lawns
12-21-2012, 11:13 PM
I only lift pinewood planks on and off the back of the truck... :)

True, we always find a way to get equipment in there. Hell just the other day I managed getting my MTD chipper into the bed by myself. Ruined a pair of jeans, but got it in there.

orangemower
12-22-2012, 06:55 AM
I've decided that in spite of everything I really need a decent sized push mower that can be used in a heavily populated area of trees...
Ride-ons of any kind makes way too many dead zones because there is no way to travel alternate routes, cornering is necessary in the same place every time,and the sod isn't very deep rooted in a shady area with so many trees...

So my question is:

And that's what I'm wondering,,, if it is better to get the 'Residential' version in its 2nd year or the 'Commercial' version in its Debut Year, since I only have 5 - 7 acres to maintain...

Hopefully more of the bugs worked out of its residential machine???

I don't know about you, but if I had that much grass to cut I'd be using a larger mower.

Edit: It's a little early for me. I realize now that you cut a total of 5-7 acres a week. How much use do you need out of the mower each week? If it's only a 20-40 minute use per week then I'd say you could get away with the residential model.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Look into a World Lawn 28" or 32" mower, the Timemaster won't last more than a few seasons if you buy the residential. You can get a World Lawn for only a few hundred more than the residential model. You have to think about the long term, if your going to stay in business you need to use Commercial equipment.

Most guys use a 21/22" and a 36" mower for small yards. The issue with a 30 inch mower is that it may not fit into some of the small gates.

-Michael

Smallaxe
12-22-2012, 09:52 AM
I don't know about you, but if I had that much grass to cut I'd be using a larger mower.

Edit: It's a little early for me. I realize now that you cut a total of 5-7 acres a week. How much use do you need out of the mower each week? If it's only a 20-40 minute use per week then I'd say you could get away with the residential model.

My main concern is about 3 acres of trees that has Rider tracks everywhere,,, that takes 3 man-hours to mulch mow around all those trees,,, with 21" mowers... Then occasionally I'd use it on some other properties to alleviate the compaction around those trees, before they get bad...
So I'd only need a couple hours per week on a regular basis but may add as much as 5 additional hours on some weeks... It should have paid for itself by the end of the first season... the commercial one may not have generated that much return and at this point I'm not interested in new business to cover costs... I am really more interestted in making the area superior to what it has been and getting that rider off of it is the first step...

I appreciate everyone making me think through this situation... thanks... :)

Smallaxe
12-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Look into a World Lawn 28" or 32" mower, the Timemaster won't last more than a few seasons if you buy the residential. You can get a World Lawn for only a few hundred more than the residential model. You have to think about the long term, if your going to stay in business you need to use Commercial equipment.

Most guys use a 21/22" and a 36" mower for small yards. The issue with a 30 inch mower is that it may not fit into some of the small gates.

-Michael

This is basically a machine for a particular job... I even have the ability to leave the machine on site if I want too... and staying in business is not what I'm about,,, rather looking at perfecting this forestted area as I retire describes my thoughts toward the Timemaster... :)

Smallaxe
12-22-2012, 10:22 AM
I would like to have known that Worldlawn mowers of that size was out there years ago... Nowadays they look too Spartan for me... I'm hoping the comfort and ease of the Toro will be easier to work...
The Exmark 26 had a variable speed handle that would surely cramp up my hands in no time...

For years I've asked around for extra large self-propelled pushmowers and all I got was ridiculed for not using a "Real Machine", that I can ride on... I even had one dealer explain to me how a ZTR would NOT compact the soil week after week,,, so my requirements were unnecessary...
Evidently there's a reason I've never heard of Worldlawn machines before... :)

weaver
12-22-2012, 10:50 AM

So my question is:

Hey Axe, have you thought of Cub Cadets 33 in mower? It's a single hydro but i have seen alot of people with these and seem to do a good job as well.

Smallaxe
12-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Having a hard time finding a 'spec website' on cub cadet, its all Retail Outlets... How lame is that???
You'd think that business people would learn how to make their product easily accessible to the potential buyers... Now days we have the internet and still can't get a good look at the selection of self-propelled walk behind pushmowers... there used to be a small cub cadet dealer in the area, but all I saw there was the selection of tractors, and never had a reason to visit him again...
Thanks for the idea though,,, maybe I'll go check him out and see if he's still in business... :)

weaver
12-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Having a hard time finding a 'spec website' on cub cadet, its all Retail Outlets... How lame is that???
You'd think that business people would learn how to make their product easily accessible to the potential buyers... Now days we have the internet and still can't get a good look at the selection of self-propelled walk behind pushmowers... there used to be a small cub cadet dealer in the area, but all I saw there was the selection of tractors, and never had a reason to visit him again...
Thanks for the idea though,,, maybe I'll go check him out and see if he's still in business... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUkmgwrAYlM

weaver
12-22-2012, 11:27 AM
My bad on the Cub cadet. I just saw on Home Depots website they are DISCONTINUED ... Sears made one just like it not sure if they're still making them or not. I had seen a bunch of people locally for the last couple years with them and did'nt know..

GMLC
12-22-2012, 11:47 AM
I'd get this and expect to get many years of service...

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-22-2012, 03:43 PM
GMLC, is that the new 30?

-Michael

GMLC
12-22-2012, 03:52 PM
GMLC, is that the new 30?

-Michael

Yup, Exmarks new 30" commercial. Toro has a commercial version as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
12-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Great point. +1

Again I love the fold up handle on mine this is a big strike against the commercial version that I may or may not buy down the road.....

The Toro are rear baggers and most parts made in the USA....I hope.

My Time Master 30 is a trim mower to replace a pita 21”. If the 30” is too wide I drag out my yBravo 25. yBravo has vastly better suction for bagging and is better on hill than the TimeMaster 30.

yBravo 25

-Michael

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-22-2012, 04:12 PM
I have heard the name ybravo one other time on this site two years ago. My only issue is that their isn't a dealer near me. I have to call to see where the closest one is. It's the same price as an Exmark, have you used both?

-Michael

Exact Rototilling
12-22-2012, 05:28 PM
I have heard the name ybravo one other time on this site two years ago. My only issue is that their isn't a dealer near me. I have to call to see where the closest one is. It's the same price as an Exmark, have you used both?

-Michael

I have not used both. I pulled the trigger on the yBravo 25 years ago based on rumors of it mowing wet grass well.

I fully admit that the yBravo got left behind quite a bit this last season since I've had the T30. Wet grass can be mowed to a point with the T30 but hands down the yBravo 25 with the high vent bag is the best.

I have some blades on hand that will hopefully provide Ultra lift on the yBravo this next season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
12-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Look into a World Lawn 28" or 32" mower, the Timemaster won't last more than a few seasons if you buy the residential. You can get a World Lawn for only a few hundred more than the residential model.

I'd rather use the Homeowner version and have it break down every week, than use a Chinese mower.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-22-2012, 07:48 PM
I have some blades on hand that will hopefully provide Ultra lift on the yBravo this next season.
Posted via Mobile Device

What blades did you find/where for the YBravo 25"?

H & M Yard Improvements
12-22-2012, 09:11 PM
I saw a video for a commercial time master. I asked my dealer about them. He said the new ones come out in January. He also said that many landscapers bought the homeowner version and they were bringing them back with problems. He tried to tell them to wait until the commercial versions came out but they didn't listen. I myself am interested in the commercial 30" timemaster!
Posted via Mobile Device

newguy123
12-22-2012, 10:05 PM
There was a guy on LS a few months back that bought several TimeMasters and he said they all held up perfectly fine for his business. He also said he never sharpened the blades nor changed the oil. I'll try finding the link for the thread...

newguy123
12-22-2012, 10:07 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389672&highlight=timemaster

Pretty sure this is it...

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-22-2012, 10:08 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389672

Exact Rototilling
12-22-2012, 11:48 PM
What blades did you find/where for the YBravo 25"?

Other than the Oregon 91-766 blade which is plug and play only if you have center bolt spindle. But that.really needs a longer matching grade bolt since the blade is heavier and thicker. Lift is.about the.same.as.stock. but.the cut is nicer IMO.

There is another blade pending mods but I.don't rememner.the # off hand.

If you have.the .dual bolt.spindle it's more work to modify.

Much easier to cut.hardened blades.than.to enlarge holes with drills. :hammerhead:
Posted via Mobile Device

FastMan
12-23-2012, 12:53 AM
I used the residential time master this summer, and it was fair at best, left a lot to be desired. Under powered in tough cutting conditions, deck gums up with grass too quickly, doesn't side discharge disperse as well as I'd like, dogs out when trying to climb hills. It got the job done for me, eventually, just sometimes had to baby it more than I prefer, which cut into the time savings the 30 inch was suppose to provide.

Above Par Lawns
12-23-2012, 01:13 AM
I used the residential time master this summer, and it was fair at best, left a lot to be desired. Under powered in tough cutting conditions, deck gums up with grass too quickly, doesn't side discharge disperse as well as I'd like, dogs out when trying to climb hills. It got the job done for me, eventually, just sometimes had to baby it more than I prefer, which cut into the time savings the 30 inch was suppose to provide.
Posted via Mobile Device

Above Par Lawns
12-23-2012, 01:15 AM
I never had any on those problems. What kind of grass are you cutting? Man, I hope mine doesn't **** out on me!
Posted via Mobile Device

FastMan
12-23-2012, 01:41 AM
I never had any on those problems. What kind of grass are you cutting? Man, I hope mine doesn't **** out on me!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm in a small mountain community in Colorado, at 8500 feet. The elevation could be playing a role in the doggishness of the engine, but I think it goes beyond that, as I have an old 21" John Deere that doesn't suffer nearly as much here from the issues I had. I cut a variety of grass, from tall and weedy, to lush. Seldom wet.

newguy123
12-23-2012, 06:43 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389672&highlight=timemaster

Pretty sure this is it...

SmallAxe,

Did you get a chance to read through this thread about the TimeMaster?

Smallaxe
12-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes, I gone through all the Timemaster Threads, since they started up... They sound like any other machine out there... some good and reliable and some not so much... just a matter of getting lucky, I suppose...

Richard Martin
12-24-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm in a small mountain community in Colorado, at 8500 feet.

If ever a place could be called perfect, your community would be a front runner for the title. Unemployment rate is 2.1%. Crime is almost virtually non existent. The cost of living is cheap with housing being the exception. 97% of the residents have graduated from high school. The youngsters still believe in marriage. Income is above the state average.

Surely there is some deep, dark secret that the world doesn't know about there?

FastMan
12-24-2012, 12:45 PM
If ever a place could be called perfect, your community would be a front runner for the title. Unemployment rate is 2.1%. Crime is almost virtually non existent. The cost of living is cheap with housing being the exception. 97% of the residents have graduated from high school. The youngsters still believe in marriage. Income is above the state average.

Surely there is some deep, dark secret that the world doesn't know about there?

Yep, Richard, it's pretty dang nice here. You didn't even mention the idilic climate for doing landscaping work. Seldom hits 90 in the summer, and tends to hover around 15 percent humidity. Heavenly to work in. And when it rains it's usually a quick pass through shower that comes late in the afternoon, and the grass dries out again quickly. And even though Colorado overall voted for Obama, my little county is heavy conservative, with the highest percentage of people owning guns of any county in state.

So with all that, can you believe it, I'm leaving. Have to, because on of my family members is having elevation related health issues and has to get to lower ground. Heading for Florida, and will be starting up fresh there with launching a new grounds care business.

lawnboy dan
12-25-2012, 08:28 AM
blue state =bad

Richard Martin
12-25-2012, 08:37 AM
So with all that, can you believe it, I'm leaving. Have to, because on of my family members is having elevation related health issues and has to get to lower ground. Heading for Florida, and will be starting up fresh there with launching a new grounds care business.

Good luck to you. And please be prepared for a HUGE culture shock. Do you speak Spanish? :laugh: