PDA

View Full Version : Tires for your feet....good set of work shoes

gmlm
12-22-2012, 06:26 PM
what is your preferred shoe to where when landscaping. work boots and steel toe boots are to heavy for 14 hours a day 6 days a week. i wore merrils for years but they have changed and dont last 3 months. i have tried 5/10's and they last a little longer but still just disintegrated in just a couple months. what do you guys wear?

ponyboy
12-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Landscaping work boots
Cutting grass sneakers
Posted via Mobile Device

garciajj612
12-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Irrigation =muck boots

GreenI.A.
12-23-2012, 03:12 AM
We have a strict policy that brown steal tow boots are part of the uniform. The only accept ions I make is irrigation service can wear brown water resistant boots. Fert guys when spraying, can wear sneakers with sneakers with waterproof over shoes/ over boots

knox gsl
12-23-2012, 09:28 AM
These have been great for me, on my second pair and they are waterproof. http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/men/industrial/detroit%20mid/slate%20black

sjessen
12-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Red Wings with steel toes. Expensive but last the longest.

TriCountyLawn
12-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Red Wings here as well, Bought a pair of wolverines for winter boots and they need to go in to have the sole and rubber toe sewed back on.

Toro 455
12-23-2012, 10:12 AM
http://www.danner.com/radicaltm-452-gtxr-brown-hiking-boots.html

I think steel toes for LCO's aren't practical. That steel toe would just be something else for the surgeon to dig out of your foot if your foot went under a deck.

I've had 5 pairs of these.
Gore tex makes them waterproof
Mesh uppers make them comfortable in hot weather.
The hiking boot sole makes them not slip on wet grass

Since they're hiking boots not work boots they don't wear well. I wear out a pair every year. And I mostly ride not walk. But they're just so darned nice on my old feet. If it's freezing I wear wool sox. Polypropelyne sox if it's hot.

I've had Merrill's and they will bend at the arch not at the ball of the foot like Danner. That'll give you plantair facituis.

I have some Keen sandals I wear sometimes. I've never tried their boots.

T Scapes
12-23-2012, 02:45 PM
when im grass cutting i wear running shoes had a pair of nike shocks and now ive got some air max's. the only time i break out the steel toes are when im doing tree work hedge trimming and ill wear them when im hardscaping. I got a pair for 35 bucks a payless shoes there holding up ok but for 35 bucks there awesome

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-23-2012, 03:57 PM
A regular pair of $60-$100 work boots are the best in my opinion. This past season I spent $145 on a discounted $190 Red Wing boot (soft toe) and they are like having cinder blocks on your feet. I use walk behind mowers and I almost had a heat stroke in the dead of Summer when I first started wearing them. Then I tried some cheap $25 boots from Kmart which I would tear apart every six weeks only wearing them 3-4 days a week.

I ended up finishing the last three months of the season wearing a $40 pair of black reebok hightop sneakers when I was mowing lawns and they are still in great shape, and light.

The $60-$100 work boot is the best in my opinion, they will most likely last you the season and then you buy a new pair for the following season. My Red WIngs are now my snow boots and serious landscaping boots for big jobs.

-Michael

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-23-2012, 05:34 PM
I like my redwings
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyboy
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I love my red wings but they are heavy
I never wear steel toe no need if you drop a rock on foot probably just cut toes off I would rather break them

Roger
12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
I used to wear Carolina work boots, one pair about every 18 months. They fit well. Their failure was breaking out the side, right foot, just at the sole line. The failure was consistent - boots were consistent, and my foot/walking was consistent.

Carolina stopped making the model, so I switched to Wolverine Durashocks. I think I have had five pair, each lasting about 18 months as well. The sides hold up well, unlike the Carolina, but the soles break apart on the Wolverine. The soles are multi-part, and the seams between the parts breaks open. The uppers show no signs of deterioration.

All of my Wolverines have fit well, perhaps not quite as well as the Carolina. But, the last pair are not good. I developed a rub-place on the left foot, and a hard spot on the right ball. They are exactly the same size as all the others, but this last pair just don't fit quite right. What will I do next? Not sure. I only have about three months of wear on these, so they are destined for lots of walking yet.

weeze
12-23-2012, 07:47 PM
nike's or any running shoes. it's too hot and uncomfortable to wear high top boots. only time i wear boots is in the snow lol.

captken
12-24-2012, 09:54 AM
I would like to be able to wear flip flops and shorts like my friend used in this Pivotrim test on our local television station's "Does it work segment"!

I have not spoken to him regarding his manner of dress, however, I did tell him that I thought he did a good job presenting the Pivotrim.

http://wreg.com/2012/08/22/does-it-work-pivotrim/

Here's to Dennis!

I always have and always will wear work boots at work. Steel toe is preferred, but not forced upon anyone, however a work boot is required.
My reasoning is because work boots, tightly laced, will protect your ankle, where sneakers or shoes offer no support, as the ankle is exposed, the work boot offers over the ankle support. Say when you are weedeating, walking and happen to step off in an hole.....there are other scenarios as well.
Just one less thing to worry about. You don't want to sidelined due to a sprained ankle.

weeze
12-24-2012, 12:17 PM
if the ankle doesn't sprain then the knee is the first thing to go which is worse lol

gallihergreen
12-24-2012, 12:30 PM
what is your preferred shoe to where when landscaping. work boots and steel toe boots are to heavy for 14 hours a day 6 days a week. i wore merrils for years but they have changed and dont last 3 months. i have tried 5/10's and they last a little longer but still just disintegrated in just a couple months. what do you guys wear?
When mowing I wear New Balance sneakers. I only break out the boots for landscaping/paver jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenboy24
12-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Try Thorogood boots. American Made and amazing. I was hesitant at first ot try them because I had never heard of them. I bought a pair in the spring and have worn them every single day. The only thing that needs anything at all is the laces will need to be replaced soon. The ones I have do not have a steel toe but I will be buying Thorogood boots again. I honestly can probably get another year+ before I need new ones. Only $130 bucks! I got mine on Amazon. Extremely comfy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=thorogood&sprefix=throo%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Athorogood

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Try Thorogood boots. American Made and amazing. I was hesitant at first ot try them because I had never heard of them. I bought a pair in the spring and have worn them every single day. The only thing that needs anything at all is the laces will need to be replaced soon. The ones I have do not have a steel toe but I will be buying Thorogood boots again. I honestly can probably get another year+ before I need new ones. Only $130 bucks! I got mine on Amazon. Extremely comfy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=thorogood&sprefix=throo%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Athorogood

Which model?

-Michael

Greenboy24
12-24-2012, 03:01 PM
I have these ones Thorogood Men's 814-4200 American Heritage 6" Moc Toe Boot but based on how well these are made I am pretty confident that other models would be the same.

cpllawncare
12-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Those keens look pretty comfortable, I would agree that steel toes aren't really neccesary, we didn't even have to have them in the military, but if you are a company with a good amount of employees your insurance company may see different. I had a pair of wolverines last year that are still in decent shape, waterproof boots for sure. Tennis shoes, even though comfortable, provide no protection and most aren't waterproof.

It's About Thyme
12-24-2012, 07:15 PM
I wear workboots only no matter what I'm doing.Uninsulated,unlined logger heel Carolinas in the summer and last winter I used a pair of Thorogoods,I really liked them alot.They had the redwing quality and comfort without the redwing price tag.The last redwings I had were $290 although comfortable didn't last any longer than any of the other boots in past.Going with Thorogoods again this winter we will see how they do.

Roger
12-24-2012, 09:48 PM
I have these ones Thorogood Men's 814-4200 American Heritage 6" Moc Toe Boot but based on how well these are made I am pretty confident that other models would be the same.

I looked at the web information, and the pictures. The sole does not look very aggressive. How good are they for walking on slopes with green grass, or other slippery conditions? How deep are the indentations? They look shallow, but hard to tell from the pictures.

Greenboy24
12-25-2012, 03:37 AM
I did not notice any unusual slipping this year as I wore them. Its definitely not the exact same as a typical workboot tread although other models may have a different one than what I have. Seems the same as the chippewas that I had before

dvkeller
12-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Workboots with steel toe either Thorogood, Chippewa, Justin, or any other brand. But MUST BE MADE IN THE USA.

GreenI.A.
12-26-2012, 11:10 PM
i always wear redwing logging boots for working. The main reason is probably because they take me from 5'8" to 5'10".

Toro 455
12-27-2012, 06:52 AM
I looked at the web information, and the pictures. The sole does not look very aggressive. How good are they for walking on slopes with green grass, or other slippery conditions? How deep are the indentations? They look shallow, but hard to tell from the pictures.

Roger;
Something I've figured out is that like tires, it ain't the tread pattern that gives you grip as much as the rubber compound.
Trouble is the longer wearing compounds are more slick.

I've had hiking boots worn slick that had more traction than a pair of "turf" shoes with rubber cleats on the soles.

Like Carslile tires. The TurfSavers have big rubber blocks on them but are slick as snot. While the TurfMasters have practically no tread to speak of and keep traction on a hill in the rain.

It's either going to be long life or wet traction. There's no way to tell by looking at the soles. They just go by reputation. That's why threads like this are helpful.

As a solo operator I figure I can't afford one slip & fall accident. So I get the very best boots, Danner 452's. And replace 'em every year to the tune of $170. Still cheaper than missing one day of work.

Roger
12-27-2012, 09:16 AM

As a solo operator I figure I can't afford one slip & fall accident.

.... Still cheaper than missing one day of work.

As a solo, I agree with these observations. This is why my question, and your observations are interesting to hear. I probably have more than a few years on you (maybe decades?), so the issue of slip/fall is of great concern. Some have told me, "You are an accident waiting to happen...."

In 17 seasons, I have not missed one day of work because of injury, or illness. .... would like to keep it that way.

former farmer
12-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Workboots with steel toe either Thorogood, Chippewa, Justin, or any other brand. But MUST BE MADE IN THE USA.

Not all of the Redwings are Made in USA. I own two pair of Redwings and one is Made in USA and the other China:angry:. Basically the same price for both pairs. If labor is that much cheaper in China, why were the boots basically the same price?

cpllawncare
12-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Not all of the Redwings are Made in USA. I own two pair of Redwings and one is Made in USA and the other China:angry:. Basically the same price for both pairs. If labor is that much cheaper in China, why were the boots basically the same price?

I often wonder the same thing about lots of products LOL

dvkeller
12-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Same with redwing, got to look at the tag

dvkeller
12-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Sorry I ment Justin, some are made in the US, some are not

cpllawncare
12-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I've got a pr of Rocky boots, Dang good boot, mine are insulated though and way to hot to wear in the summer.

Spring Valley Lawn Service
12-27-2012, 10:07 PM
I wear tennis shoes and wolverines. I wear the most comfortable thing I can. One thing I don't wear is cheap boots or shoes. It costs more in long run. Also no steel toe. I donated two pairs to Salvation Army wen I quit the plant I was at.

Toro 455
12-28-2012, 08:50 AM
As a solo, I agree with these observations. This is why my question, and your observations are interesting to hear. I probably have more than a few years on you (maybe decades?), so the issue of slip/fall is of great concern. Some have told me, "You are an accident waiting to happen...."

In 17 seasons, I have not missed one day of work because of injury, or illness. .... would like to keep it that way.

Roger;
Thanks for the most generous reply. I know I'm a know-it-all. My wife and friends tell me. And that I lecture when I talk. My kids explained it to me.

So I have lots of opinions on how to maintain the most important piece of equipment of all...ME. And I'll try not to get too preachy.

I've heard all those age related comments too. "How long are you going to keep doing this?" "What if you get hurt?" "How old are you!"
I've thought it thru and come up with the question,"What am I going to do if I don't? Sit on the couch and watch Maury on TV? I don't think so!
I'm going to mow lawns as long as I'm able.
If I get injured somebody might not get their lawn mowed.
I'm 66 and will work 'till at least 72.

I stay positive. I like mowing lawns as well as anything that I do. Plus they pay me to do it. And it ain't no pity party. I mow world corporate headquarters & estates. Folks that won't tolerate second rate services.

I stay in shape. My biggest problem is that corporations roll over their management every 5 years or so and the new plant manager always calls me into his office. With that lets-get-rid-of-the-old-guy look in his eye. He'll start with bla bla this and that. I reply with "can you show me?" "Lets to see." We walk the property. By the time we're back in the office he's winded and sweating and I'm not. His response is "Same contract as last year?"

dstifel
12-28-2012, 12:26 PM
I've got a pr of Rocky boots, Dang good boot, mine are insulated though and way to hot to wear in the summer.

Love my Rockies. Have insulated/waterproof ones for snow and regular work boots for summer. Actually just got a slick pair of square toes for Xmas but I want be mowing in those.

bjm95
12-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Asolo hiking boots. Expensive but well worth it. Waterproof, feet don't sweat, comfortable and last.

elitelawnteam1
12-29-2012, 06:50 PM
I get a pair of CAT steel toes once a year, and they are almost my only footwear. I'm in them all the time, except a few times in the summer, but $130ish for a year, they're light, they keep their tread, and you can get them at Meijer or blains farm and fleet. they probably sell them in other stores, too that's all I know though.

KrayzKajun
12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I have a pair of Ariat workhogs. So far im loving them, all my boots are roper/ cowboy style. With grip soles. Love them. I cant wear a lace up work boot.
Posted via Mobile Device

bmxerss
12-29-2012, 07:40 PM
I wear a pair of crappy $40 dollar steeltoed boots from walmart. im on my 4'th pair in 2 years.

lawnprosteveo
01-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Bought Red Wings last January. By June the sole was shot. $175 down the tubes. And they couldn't be re soles. My $85 Timberland Pros last about 2 yrs
Posted via Mobile Device

NewOrleans21
01-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Timberland Pro for me as well

LibertyFarmLandscaping
01-01-2013, 10:58 AM
I have a pair of Ariat workhogs. So far im loving them, all my boots are roper/ cowboy style. With grip soles. Love them. I cant wear a lace up work boot.
Posted via Mobile Device

My favorite also. On my second pair. The first pair lasted 2 years and had plenty of sole left just started leaking water.
Posted via Mobile Device

OntheRock
01-02-2013, 03:54 PM
My Belleville combat boots are amazing they have been worn for the past 4 months non stop here in South Florida where the season is from January to December. Make sure you get some good insoles for your comfort they have great deals at Sports Authority/ Dicks Sporting goods/ and all other shoe stores. Best of wishes to all this New Year!
God bless

Hope Landscaping
01-02-2013, 11:01 PM

Same with Justin... That's what I use. Made in China though. I didn't realize it until later. They are water proof, steel toe and comfortable. A link:
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_422096_-1__?color=Rugged&Ntt=justin+water+proof+boot&Ntk=All

BrunoT
01-03-2013, 07:20 PM
http://www.danner.com/radicaltm-452-gtxr-brown-hiking-boots.html

I think steel toes for LCO's aren't practical. That steel toe would just be something else for the surgeon to dig out of your foot if your foot went under a deck.

I've had 5 pairs of these.
Gore tex makes them waterproof
Mesh uppers make them comfortable in hot weather.
The hiking boot sole makes them not slip on wet grass

Since they're hiking boots not work boots they don't wear well. I wear out a pair every year. And I mostly ride not walk. But they're just so darned nice on my old feet. If it's freezing I wear wool sox. Polypropelyne sox if it's hot.

I've had Merrill's and they will bend at the arch not at the ball of the foot like Danner. That'll give you plantair facituis.

I have some Keen sandals I wear sometimes. I've never tried their boots.

Yep! I wore Merrill's for a few years on the advice of others. Plantar Fasciitis bigtime, along with something called "predislocation syndrome" where the bottom structure of your foot literally starts to fall apart and the 2nd toe will start to drop through it. Almost crippled me. They feel ok when you wear them, but I never had the problem till I wore them. Switched back to my old kind and the feet are getting better already. I have an extra pair I bought I'm gonna put on Ebay soon. The Merrill's just don't have the insole for tons of walking, I guess. (8 mi/day on average). Mine did last fine, though.

As for the Danners...46 oz. Oofah! I need to do some squat work before I wear boots that heavy.

Valk
01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
I envy you all that can wear a pair of boots for a year or more...as this surely saves $$$. For me, considering all the brands/types of footwear I've tried over the years...I NEVER get more than 3 months of use out of them before I begin to 'feel the need' for a new pair. Could be a foot pain or knee or hip or lowback...but when I begin to feel it, it is quickly remedied by a new pair of mowing shoes.

Operating a WB as a solo, I put a premium on comfort...especially in morning dew and the Summer heat. I prefer a midtop hiking boot for protection and stability. Too many work-type boots don't have an aggressive enough tread to deal with slopes and rough terrain, particularly when it's wet. Running shoes, unless an off-road type, are made for smooth/hard surfaces.

My choice: http://vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7476-vasque/7476-vasque-mens-breeze-gtx-beluga-gunmetal Vasque is owned by Redwing. These use Goretex XCR (Extended Comfort Range) which breathes well in the heat...making use of the mesh uppers. They also come in wide sizes.

Whatever shoe/boot you choose, find your size, then order online to save $$. I consistently find the above for <$120 shipped to my front door.

My feet do not ache at the end of the day nor in the mornings. Can one put a price on this?

dvkeller
01-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Buy American, they're better quality and might help