PDA

View Full Version : New Super Duty

Fwilamosky
12-23-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm am thinking about getting a new truck if I reach my goals for clients next year. I currently have a Sierra 1/2 ton and have found myself maxed out for towing. It sucks since I bought this truck in March! I need something that can tow the needed weight when I'm mulching, hauling stone, firewood,etc... I'm looking for any reviews on the super duties either 2012 or 2013. I would buy a gasser 6.2l ext cab 4x4 350 srw. It max bumper tows around 16000 pounds so that'll work

Any reviews would be helpful

T Scapes
12-23-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm am thinking about getting a new truck if I reach my goals for clients next year. I currently have a Sierra 1/2 ton and have found myself maxed out for towing. It sucks since I bought this truck in March! I need something that can tow the needed weight when I'm mulching, hauling stone, firewood,etc... I'm looking for any reviews on the super duties either 2012 or 2013. I would buy a gasser 6.2l ext cab 4x4 350 srw. It max bumper tows around 16000 pounds so that'll work

dont have any reviews on the gas engine but where i used to work we had a 250 with the 6.7 in it and had no complaints about it. I liked it alot. Its pulled a 4520 tractor with no problems.

Fwilamosky
12-23-2012, 02:09 PM
only reason going with the gasser is starting and stopping a diesel 15 times a day isn't good. I've heard good things about the 6.7 however

jbturf
12-23-2012, 03:00 PM
i just replaced a new gmc2500hd with a new f350 gas, the gmc rode slightly smoother but that was the only advantage it had over the f350. i would suggest 4.30 gears, it wont really effect mpg and it will raise your gcwr

ive also got an 05 f350 v10, ive been working since late 2004, its needed nothing but oil changes and gas stations thru the years, (however it is about due this year for some balljoints)

gl shopping and try to sit down b4 you see the prices on the new fords- ouch

Turbo Sloth
12-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I have a 2001 f250 v10, 2003 f250 v8 and a 2001 f250 diesel. The v10 costs me $200 per week in gas! It's terrible in stop and go traffic. The v8 and diesel combined costs me $200 weekly and they are used much more. The only reason that I keep the v10 is that it's paid for.

Roger
12-23-2012, 06:42 PM
I have a 2003 F250, with 5.4L gas, reg cab, 2wd, with cap (lots of tools and hand-held power equipment). I pull a single axle trailer, with three mowers. My work is is residential neighborhoods, driving only about 5,000 miles per year. I now have oil leaks (see my other thread), and in a decision point, repair or replace?

My pickup gets about 9 mpg (about 280 miles per 33 gal refill). I think this is horrible!

In my decision time($2,500-$3,000 in repairs). I've looked at new ones, F250 XL, reg cab, 2wd. They come with a 6.2L engine. Could I expect better mpg with the larger engine? I feel like I am never beginning to tax the 5.4, so never sense lack of power.

Fwilamosky
12-23-2012, 08:14 PM
yeah i will no doubt the 4:30 gears in it, that's a must for getting the most out of your truck.

Monroe74
12-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Sounds like you have your mind made up on the gas engine. Other then the gearing i would go with a dump bed instead of a pick-up box with insert. There is alot less sheet metal to mess up.

Fwilamosky
12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
yeah i've made up my mind on what I want, just looking for some reviews

meets1
12-25-2012, 01:13 PM
I havent had fords for a while now but I think gas for you would be the way to go. Just get milage out of your head as this is for work. Price, depends on options that you want. My oldest right now is 2003 chevy 3/4hd. Been great. 6.0 engine. Replaced battery last year, new steering pump, and now just got a new starter. Over all there is alwasy upkeep but I keep our trucks till 150K so gotta keep things up.

Green-Man
12-25-2012, 06:46 PM
only reason going with the gasser is starting and stopping a diesel 15 times a day isn't good. I've heard good things about the 6.7 however

Just out of curiosity if it is bad for a diesel to be stopping and starting 15 times a day why would company's like Isuzu put Diesel engines in their landscape trucks?
Posted via Mobile Device

Monroe74
12-25-2012, 08:38 PM
It used to be bad for diesels to start 15 times a day before computer controls and direct injection.
Mainly due to coking and the over fueling of the older diesels.

Green-Man
12-25-2012, 09:43 PM
It used to be bad for diesels to start 15 times a day before computer controls and direct injection.
Mainly due to coking and the over fueling of the older diesels.

What would you consider old? So it "use" to be bad olay thanks for the answer!
Posted via Mobile Device

Monroe74
12-26-2012, 11:03 PM
I would say 1990 and older. It wasn't till 94 ish that diesels became really reliable for delivery/service work with the starting and stopping of the engine.

Green-Man
12-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I would say 1990 and older. It wasn't till 94 ish that diesels became really reliable for delivery/service work with the starting and stopping of the engine.

Alright thanks a lot man I never knew this. Really appreciate it!
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
12-29-2012, 01:47 AM

The first thing you had better realize is that gas trucks have inflated towing numbers and Diesels are underrated. A 6.2 gasser is going to get it's azz handed to it trying to tow 16K up even a mild hill. I'm not a Ford fan but the 6.7 will easily tow twice as much as the 6.2. Heavy duty truck with gas engines are nothing more then false hope. The resale value of a gasser HD is crap as well.

All the new Diesel trucks run DEF now so starting and stopping is not an issue. Depending on where you live you can do DPF deletes as well like I did. If your going to be hauling anything over even 6-8K in hills the gasser is really going to disappoint you. If you can foot the bill go with an oil burner and forget all those weak gassers.

McG_Landscaping
12-29-2012, 01:55 AM
I have an 08 250 with the 5.4 and absolutely love the thing! Its not the smoothest ride but with my sides on (before the insert) it would carry 5 yards of mulch. I probably overload it but sometimes I will put 2 ton in it if its a short trip. I recently had 2 rear leafs added to each side because of the dump insert. now when i put 2 ton of salt in it, it barely squats. Itll still run 65 down the highway fully loaded with a plow. I'm going to stick with buying fords

jbturf
12-29-2012, 09:01 AM
imo, now a days gas or diesel have adequate power to haul anything the trucks are rated for,
its more about transmissions, gears, heavy duty frames, suspension components, and BRAKES.
how many people keep there trucks much beyond 100k miles now, the majority have deprecated them by that
piont and small repairs are likely to start surfacing after that, so most are traded or sold for new or moved to backup duty. i personally cant see a diesel equipped lt duty truck kept less than 200k miles being a financial advantage in any way

PlantscapeSolutions
12-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I would suggest talking to the dealer if you are serious about buying a gasser for towing. See if they will let you hook up your trailer with a load on it and go for a test drive. Make sure you try the load on some moderate hills. The 6.2 might anemically haul 16K in the flats (pulling out in traffic will be a stressful time consuming experience) but if you head for a decent 10% grade like we have here in places things are going to get ugly. For light (4K) to medium (6K) duty towing on a regular basis where you put lows annual millage (10-15k) on your truck a weaker gasser will work. The F350 SRW 4x4 Super Cab is rated for 12.3K as well not 16K for bumper pulling. If your unhappy with your current ride you better test drive with a trailer before you get on the hook with a new ride that may not be much better.

There a huge difference between a plow truck setup and a truck used for towing where the GCWR could be double. With the new DEF trucks your operating cost per mile towing even 6K is going to be less then a gasser. Trucks now don't rust out at 100K like they used to. My plan for trucks is to have then for ten years and rack up 175-200K at most. A gas truck towing even 8K is going to get single digit gas millage while a Diesel won't see much of a drop. In 100K miles you will get back the extra money spent on a Diesel. Your really only spending a few thousand dollars extra for a Diesel because at resale you will get back much of the extra money you invested. If you think of a Diesel as $8000 down the drain you are way off base.

I run an 06 Ram 2500 that pulls my 16' enclosed trailer that weighs only around 4-5K. The Diesel motor at 100K now has paid for it's self. It makes 610 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpms and I couldn't imagine having any less power like a 400 ft lb gas engine that make peak torque closer to a less usable 3000 rpms.

My daily driver truck is an 09' Ram 3500 4x4 but it's used to pull as much as 27,000 lbs which is not in the realm of what your looking to do. Once you get to even 10K plus your in oil burner only territory if you want to man handle the load safely with ease.

If you can swing it in the budget get the 6.7 and you will be blown away at how much more power it has for towing. You rarely hear guys complaining that their truck has too much power. Overkill is always a good thing.

Green-Man
12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
I would suggest talking to the dealer if you are serious about buying a gasser for towing. See if they will let you hook up your trailer with a load on it and go for a test drive. Make sure you try the load on some moderate hills. The 6.2 might anemically haul 16K in the flats (pulling out in traffic will be a stressful time consuming experience) but if you head for a decent 10% grade like we have here in places things are going to get ugly. For light (4K) to medium (6K) duty towing on a regular basis where you put lows annual millage (10-15k) on your truck a weaker gasser will work. The F350 SRW 4x4 Super Cab is rated for 12.3K as well not 16K for bumper pulling. If your unhappy with your current ride you better test drive with a trailer before you get on the hook with a new ride that may not be much better.

There a huge difference between a plow truck setup and a truck used for towing where the GCWR could be double. With the new DEF trucks your operating cost per mile towing even 6K is going to be less then a gasser. Trucks now don't rust out at 100K like they used to. My plan for trucks is to have then for ten years and rack up 175-200K at most. A gas truck towing even 8K is going to get single digit gas millage while a Diesel won't see much of a drop. In 100K miles you will get back the extra money spent on a Diesel. Your really only spending a few thousand dollars extra for a Diesel because at resale you will get back much of the extra money you invested. If you think of a Diesel as $8000 down the drain you are way off base.

I run an 06 Ram 2500 that pulls my 16' enclosed trailer that weighs only around 4-5K. The Diesel motor at 100K now has paid for it's self. It makes 610 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpms and I couldn't imagine having any less power like a 400 ft lb gas engine that make peak torque closer to a less usable 3000 rpms.

My daily driver truck is an 09' Ram 3500 4x4 but it's used to pull as much as 27,000 lbs which is not in the realm of what your looking to do. Once you get to even 10K plus your in oil burner only territory if you want to man handle the load safely with ease.

If you can swing it in the budget get the 6.7 and you will be blown away at how much more power it has for towing. You rarely hear guys complaining that their truck has too much power. Overkill is always a good thing.

VERY WELL SAID!
Posted via Mobile Device

millerx1805x
12-29-2012, 07:45 PM
i've got two '11 F350s with the 6.2
overall its a good truck and has the power i need to tow, however i only tow up to 11k and that is pretty rarely. no real complaints with towing, it does pretty well for a gasser i think. having come from diesel it was a hard transfer from the torque at idle but the 6.0 powerstroke killed me in repairs.

gas mileage also averages about 10.4ish for the f350 dump and 13.5-14 for the pickup

PlantscapeSolutions
12-29-2012, 08:36 PM
i've got two '11 F350s with the 6.2
overall its a good truck and has the power i need to tow, however i only tow up to 11k and that is pretty rarely. no real complaints with towing, it does pretty well for a gasser i think. having come from diesel it was a hard transfer from the torque at idle but the 6.0 powerstroke killed me in repairs.

gas mileage also averages about 10.4ish for the f350 dump and 13.5-14 for the pickup

The 6.0 caused so many people grief it caused several companies such as Destroked to pop up that specialize in putting Cummins engines into Ford trucks. There are zero companies that specialize in putting Powerstroke or Duramax engines in other trucks.

It's too bad Ford guys have to buy a medium duty F650/F750 to get the same 6.7 Cummins engine that you can get in a light duty Ram 2500/3500.

The other bad thing about a gasser is no exhaust brake. This alone is a big disadvantage.

millerx1805x
12-29-2012, 08:47 PM
if you tap the brake in tow haul the truck downshifts to try to control speed and braking. not nearly as well as an exhaust brake but it certainly helps

txirrigation
01-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I have these:

99' f-250 5.4L Gas (x2)- Great trucks with service bodies, we don't pull more than 5-6k gross with them bc they do not have the guts in the hills.

07' f-450 6.0 Diesel DRW- The 6.0 has a bad rep, but really all you have to do is replace the injectors about every 150k and your good. This truck carries about 4,000lbs in the bed, and around 8,000lbs on a trailer daily. Once or twice a month we pull 12,000 when we need the rock saw. The truck has more power than we need, and has been great.

12' chev 1500- Rated to tow around 11,000, but I would NEVER do it. Truck is way over rated on towing, but all we use it for is estimating and towing light trailers with plants/parts. Truck has no guts, but gets good mpg's. Great for what we bought it for, a little upset it cannot tow better.

11' f-250 6.7 diesel- AWESOME. If I did not think I would tear the frame apart I would tow 50,000lbs with this motor. The only worry I have is the hitch holding together when I hit the pedal with a trailer. Maintain around 14mpg city and 19-21 hwy. When I am towing between 6-9,000lbs I get around 16gpm hwy and 11mpg city. 10,000+lbs I get around 10-11hwy and about 9 city. The only complaint is the emissions system, as soon as the warranty is gone we are taking it ALL out.

12' f-350 6.7 diesel- AWESOME. I liked the 11' so much I got another.

AI Inc
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I have a 2003 F250, with 5.4L gas, reg cab, 2wd, with cap (lots of tools and hand-held power equipment). I pull a single axle trailer, with three mowers. My work is is residential neighborhoods, driving only about 5,000 miles per year. I now have oil leaks (see my other thread), and in a decision point, repair or replace?

My pickup gets about 9 mpg (about 280 miles per 33 gal refill). I think this is horrible!

In my decision time($2,500-$3,000 in repairs). I've looked at new ones, F250 XL, reg cab, 2wd. They come with a 6.2L engine. Could I expect better mpg with the larger engine? I feel like I am never beginning to tax the 5.4, so never sense lack of power.

Roger I have a 2002 f-250 5.4 It gets 12 driving and 8 towing. I also have a 2006 f-350 deisel. It gets 16 driving but 15.5 towing .
I was never a fan of deisel for a few reasons.
Noise , smell , cost of fuel.
Now that I see what it does theres nop turning back for me.

Fwilamosky
01-04-2013, 05:24 PM
I have these:

99' f-250 5.4L Gas (x2)- Great trucks with service bodies, we don't pull more than 5-6k gross with them bc they do not have the guts in the hills.

07' f-450 6.0 Diesel DRW- The 6.0 has a bad rep, but really all you have to do is replace the injectors about every 150k and your good. This truck carries about 4,000lbs in the bed, and around 8,000lbs on a trailer daily. Once or twice a month we pull 12,000 when we need the rock saw. The truck has more power than we need, and has been great.

12' chev 1500- Rated to tow around 11,000, but I would NEVER do it. Truck is way over rated on towing, but all we use it for is estimating and towing light trailers with plants/parts. Truck has no guts, but gets good mpg's. Great for what we bought it for, a little upset it cannot tow better.

11' f-250 6.7 diesel- AWESOME. If I did not think I would tear the frame apart I would tow 50,000lbs with this motor. The only worry I have is the hitch holding together when I hit the pedal with a trailer. Maintain around 14mpg city and 19-21 hwy. When I am towing between 6-9,000lbs I get around 16gpm hwy and 11mpg city. 10,000+lbs I get around 10-11hwy and about 9 city. The only complaint is the emissions system, as soon as the warranty is gone we are taking it ALL out.

12' f-350 6.7 diesel- AWESOME. I liked the 11' so much I got another.

i test drove the 6.7 and am leading toward that now but I am not up to date on the emissions system for the 6.7, what are the cons of it?

txirrigation
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
i test drove the 6.7 and am leading toward that now but I am not up to date on the emissions system for the 6.7, what are the cons of it?

You have to fill the emissions fluid. It starts warning you when you are 800mi to empty, and if you go past the 800mi it starts slowing you down. First it slows you to 50mph for a while, then 10mph, then it will shut down. It is not a big deal, just fill it up. You can find the fluid at most gas stations and at auto parts stores.

EGR sensors go bad from what I hear, but are covered by warranty. As soon as the warranty is up, take out all the EGR and emissions and kiss the problem goodbye.

Fwilamosky
01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
thanks for all the information

PlantscapeSolutions
01-08-2013, 02:16 PM
You have to fill the emissions fluid. It starts warning you when you are 800mi to empty, and if you go past the 800mi it starts slowing you down. First it slows you to 50mph for a while, then 10mph, then it will shut down. It is not a big deal, just fill it up. You can find the fluid at most gas stations and at auto parts stores.

EGR sensors go bad from what I hear, but are covered by warranty. As soon as the warranty is up, take out all the EGR and emissions and kiss the problem goodbye.

If your thinking about deleting later you had better buy the parts now. H&S is the second company to stop making tuners that allow you to reprogram you ECM to allow for deletes. I think it will be interesting to see if the few other delete tuners for Ford like Spartan end up getting shut down as well.

jbell36
01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
dude, all i have to say is don't count the 6.7 out...it's a great engine, yeah it's only been out for so long but i haven't heard one negative thing about it, except for the emissions bs but every new truck has to deal with that...we are finishing the emissions delete on my truck tonight ('08 6.4), i can't wait to turn it on for the first time...that's what i would do if i were you, but it will void your warranty and i'm guessing you will still have a warranty, especially if you buy brand new...keep in mind diesels can go 5-7,000 miles in between oil changes, no so much on a gasser...we have a '97 250 gasser, my favorite work truck of the fleet, but only gets 8.7 MPG, where as a diesel will get around 14, that's a huge difference...we have two fords and two dodges, a couple weeks ago both dodges were in the shop, non engine related (both have cummins)...ford simply builds a better all around truck, especially when it comes to rust

my truck has the spartan tuner on it, i'm curious as well when those will start getting yanked from the shelf

spartan tuner
dpf delete
5" flo pro exhaust
egr delete
S&B intake

grandview (2006)
01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Bought the F250 2012 this past Oct. .Used it about 5 times so far for plowing ,lot of power on it. Little low on the gas milage but still a good truck. It's a F250 extended cab with long bed. Had to get used to the long bed beauce I was using the same truck ,but with a short bed. 40 k though.

Fwilamosky
01-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Bought the F250 2012 this past Oct. .Used it about 5 times so far for plowing ,lot of power on it. Little low on the gas milage but still a good truck. It's a F250 extended cab with long bed. Had to get used to the long bed beauce I was using the same truck ,but with a short bed. 40 k though.

diesle or gasser?

grandview (2006)
01-09-2013, 04:21 PM
diesle or gasser?

Gasser.:waving:

Valk
01-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Wow, great thread.
Although I'm a bit confused about the start&go issues I still hear/read about diesels...
In particular I recall a post/thread (here at LS) reporting about diesel ambulance engines not being reliable. Guesstimating that they need to/should be warmed up before romping on them - as they probably start them cold? Seeking input on this...

burnthefurniture
01-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Its not ford but food for thought.

I run 6 chevy gassers for our day to day operations. 2 of the motors are in isuzu npr hd dump trucks. 3 are in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. One is in a 1500 we use for meetings, estimates, design measure ups, errands, etc.

Every business is different, however I can say this about how we use our trucks. Very reliable, low cost of maintenance, gas is less expensive. We have 10,000 lbs behind our 1 tons at least once a week. They tow the weight just fine. I do live in Louisiana and it is flat as a pancake, so I can't speak to towing through hills. My goal isn't to race off of a stoplight with a loaded trailer, I think that is ridiculous. Sure they're slower than a comparable diesel, but who cares. The HD trucks and isuzus get 9-12 mpg loaded or unloaded.

Ultimately, my trucks are equipment and allow me to make money. For my application, diesels aren't practical because I can do all of my tasks with these gassers and would never recoup the cost of diesel over the long run. The motor and powertrain platform is the last thing on these vehicles that I would wear out.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own a diesel, but my goals and needs are different than some others.