PDA

View Full Version : Who can Tell me about Walker mowers?

d.klas
12-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Walker delivers and excellent cut quality and the GHS is a good design but to all you walker users out there...... Can you tell me about the maintenance on them?
I am thinking of getting one..
I've heard that they break down a lot and require a lot of repair and maintenance and that they arent very strong.
Are there any machines I should consider? I would go for a Ferris Zero Turn or Toro and use the bagging system for the fall but.. I really like the out front deck of the walker that can mow more tight areas and cut down trimming time..

What do you guys think?

devinraptor
12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
This is my first year with a walker and they are a maintenance hog! I love the mower i really do it leaves a really really nice cut. We put about 425 hours on it this year and broke one belt and 3 shear bolts. I bought the mower new and we take really good care of our equipment. My biggest complaint is greasing it everyday. I will still buy another one. I run all types of mowers wrights, toro, exmark, husqvarna and now walker.
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
12-23-2012, 06:53 PM
We have 6 Walkers. The first Walker I ran had 3k hours when we parked it and we did nothing other than routine maintenance:weightlifter:.

Curtis
12-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Jr. how many blowers did you go through ? What kind of engine was that by the way ?

jrs.landscaping
12-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Kohler 25, we had a crack in the blower but we fabbed a plate to cover the crack which held until we retired the mower. The only thing we have replaced on our mowers are hydro pumps because we mow around a lot of obstacles/hills. The newer blowers are a lot stronger and are supposed to hold up better than the old ones.

ed2hess
12-23-2012, 07:51 PM
I only have one walker but I think it is the best engineered mower in the business. They have grease certs on almost everything. Parts are beefee and strong looking. One down side is their electrical system way tooo complicated. They used to have a big problem with spindles cracking when you hit something. I guess they fixed that somehow. The other thing that was not good was ground speed was slow. They offered some upgrade don't know if that fixed things. And if you got rough ground they are a killer and don't hold well on hills.

weeze
12-23-2012, 08:26 PM
they do a great job cutting but i never liked them too much. i like the regular ztr much better since it's more compact. also i like ztr maintenance alot better. it's just simple and easy. my ztr has 5 grease fittings. 3 on deck spindles and 2 on front castors. that's it. they only have to be greased every 50hrs on spindles and every 500hrs on the castors. to me the more simple the better. less time spent on maintenance and less that can break.

Landrus2
12-23-2012, 08:36 PM
If you decide to get a walker a must is a suspension seat. They should come standard with it.:waving:

grass4633
12-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Walkers IMO are the best mowers on the market. They are high maintenance but the way they cut and bag make up for it. I would highly recommend one.

Turf Dawg
12-23-2012, 09:04 PM
In 1200hrs I had to replace the blower and blower belt. I could have just replaced the blower housing but my thinking was to replace the whole thing while I had it out.

orangemower
12-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Don't waste your money.

Florida Gardener
12-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Don't waste your money.

This is exactly how I feel...I think walker is more of an image than anything....I have used 3 different commercial brands of mowers and all leave a great cut. I don't bag down here so that wouldn't be a reason to buy one. I don't negate that it probably leaves a great cut, but so do many other mowers for less cost.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
12-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Walker has a niche in the market. Just not in my market. LOL I see a few here and there but that's it. I can't stand the 3rd wheel stripe it leaves. Yes you can get a optional double wheel kit that cuts down on the hideous single wheel mark it leaves but you'll have to spend even more money. :hammerhead:

Someone mentioned it saves time allowing you to get into tighter areas. Well as slow as they are, the time you're saving on the trimming side doesn't compare to the time you'd save with a quicker mower on the open areas. Even with the speed up kit it's pig slow. There's a reason why it can only go so fast and they don't want it going faster.

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
12-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
12-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Yes they are high maintenance but make up for it in quality of cut and versatility. Do a search you will find hours of info on walkers , and many different opinions . I will probably always need at least one for my business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landrus2
12-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Don't waste your money.

Have you tried all walker models :waving:

The Grass Master
12-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I personal love my Walker mower, 2010 MTGHS26. Hands down the best cutting mower available. Yes they are on the slow side, but there is a reason for it. I didn't buy it for mowing at 11 mph. It is defiantly a specialty type machine for high end properties. High end, best paying properties I must add. I specialize in a bagged cut and wouldn't do it any other way. Right now i'm using it for leaf clean-ups and am making $ hand over fist.

Walker publishes a short, two page pamphlet titled, "What you should know BEFORE buying a Mid Mount "Z", A price v.s. value study offered by Walker mowers" It's very informative and I recommend you take a look at it. It's available from your dealer or you can call the factory 1-800-279-8537.

What I don't get is how people say they are high maintenance. Each week I take 15-20 min and hit the major grease points. Whats so hard about hitting a few grease points.

And if there is ever a company who is true to their marketing it has to be Walker. From the deck that floats and flexes following ground contour, to the manicured cut to the superior leaf collection, to its gentle footprint, to its effortless maneuverability and precise steering controls, it does everything they claim it does and very well I might add.

lawnfire
12-27-2012, 01:18 PM
On my second Walker and wouldnt be without one. I also run a 48 Exmark Turf Tracer. No major issues with either of my Walkers. I have always said , I dont know how anyone runs without a Walker. Walker on the front Bermuda Grass and Exmark on the Back Fescue. Looking to buy my third Walker soon.

joemower
12-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Walker delivers and excellent cut quality and the GHS is a good design but to all you walker users out there...... Can you tell me about the maintenance on them?
I am thinking of getting one..
I've heard that they break down a lot and require a lot of repair and maintenance and that they arent very strong.
Are there any machines I should consider? I would go for a Ferris Zero Turn or Toro and use the bagging system for the fall but.. I really like the out front deck of the walker that can mow more tight areas and cut down trimming time..

What do you guys think?

Sorry this may be a long read but I feel like writing today...

The short and sweet of it is that a Walker is like you mom's "good pair of scissors." You know the ones that she would never let you use... Yes any pair of scissors could do the job but the "orange handle" pair that mom had always did a nice precise job. She always took extra care of them and was mindful of how she used them. Thus they lasted a long time and did a great job.

I've used Walkers for at least a quarter of a century now and had my ups and downs with them. I've even tried to get away from them at one point but that didn't last. I missed them and so did our clients. After bringing them back many of our clients remarked about how pleased they were to see that we were using the "yellow" machines again. The funny thing was that the yellow machines that we brought back were all mulchers and our clients didn't even know the difference.

A lot of the issues that you hear about Walkers refer more so to the old school GHS models. Yes they are slow, expensive, and you have to deal with disposing of the clippings. One of the reasons we tried to get away from them along with the lack of a dealer around here. But with all that said the GHS was and still is the best for what it does. As far as maintenance goes we do the same things for our Walkers as we do on our Toro and Exmark mowers. Besides to the contrary, you don't have to grease the 1000's of grease fittings every day. As with any machine, keep them clean, sharp, and full of fluids. Yes keep a watchful eye on all the parts, belts, and grease points but you only address what is necessary. Walkers also may be a bit scary to work on for they are so compact and this bone is always connected to that bone... but that is what makes the Walkers such a compact and nimble machine. They also warrant the operator's attention. They weren't designed the be a grinder! We educate our employees on how to properly operate and care for their machines and we get 2000 hrs out of them before we sell them to the next happy Walker owner.

Now I would urge everyone rather they had a sour taste in their mouth for Walkers or not to try the new MB and MBS models. Totally a new bread of animals. Faster, outstanding on hills, mulch easier to maintain, and less expensive. I've been using the MBS's and MB's with mulch decks on them for over three seasons now and they have really changed the game for us in production while maintain our quality which equals money!

There are many different types of mower operators with many different needs thus there are many different machines out there. Walkers are very good at doing what they are designed to do and they are only getting better. Yes I wish they were less expensive! Though they have always made enough money to pay for themselves. In the end we love our Walkers!

Kevin R
12-30-2012, 08:57 PM
I ran walkers for the last 18yrs, the last one being a 2011. I ran it for a yr and sold it. I now have a Navigator, I did ALLOT of comparing and testing and IMO the Nav is far superior in quality and cut quality at least with the 42". Yes they don't have as many Attachments or a side discharge deck, but as a dedicated bagger I would go Navigator hands down

Kevin

PlatinumPlus
03-27-2013, 02:00 PM
for everything we do, Walkers save so much time and cut the best HANDS DOWN

Exact Rototilling
03-29-2013, 01:32 AM
Honest serious question. If your not bagging much grass does a Walker really have a place...?

I can understand cutting once and bagging for speed but I target mainly smaller lawns and mulch mow.
Posted via Mobile Device

joemower
03-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Honest serious question. If your not bagging much grass does a Walker really have a place...?

I can understand cutting once and bagging for speed but I target mainly smaller lawns and mulch mow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling it sounds like the Walker MB 23 efi with a mulching deck would be right up your alley! They are incredible on those smaller yards and if need be you can throw a larger SD deck on them for larger properties. We use to bag all of our smaller yards with our GHS units and have switch all of them to the MB's with mulching decks and our client's can't tell a difference. Walker made it possible for us to mulch. We tried a few other brands with mulch kits and they just didn't live up to the quality of a bagged Walker cut.The MB's are also faster and are like a mountain goat on hillsides. So yes Walker still has a strong place in our industry. Add a Super B into the equation and you will be able to cover the larger properties as well. The GHS models will always be king for bagging but may not be as popular in today's economy but Walker does have a strong portfolio. Don't count them out just yet. Take a MB and a MBS demo. I'm sure you will be impressed. :drinkup:

agent walker
03-29-2013, 09:59 PM
I use my 74in side discharge deck most the time on my 2 2009 mtghs with kohler 26hp efi. I like them a lot. Not entirely trouble free, but neither have the exmark and grasshoppers i've run. They have a lot of grease points, which some people like and some dont. They have the best cut, no matter if its wet, dry, good grass, or weedy

Armsden&Son
04-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Hey there Agent Walker... I really dig the name... I am interested in your set up.... I have always ran Walker for my old job but I am now in the big shoes and a first time owner... Anyway, I used to only bag living in the greater Boston area... However, now I am in upstate New York and I really think some wider decks could be exactly what I am looking for.... I will be running your same mower.. the 26, just going to be a 2013... I know that the MBK's and the MBS' are obviously great with the bigger decks but I have been wondering how the 26 mtghs will handle them... Especially the 74, which, from your post, sounds like you have a lot of info on.... That's gotta be an AMAZING looking set up! Happen to have any photographs lying about?