PDA

View Full Version : Lunch

ponyboy
12-23-2012, 07:40 PM
For guys with crews do you make your guys bring lunch?
I'm starting that this year 30 minutes turned into 10 to go to their deli then 10 minutes to order then 10 to drive to next lawn then 30 for lunch
So no it's being lunch or work some where else looks like I'm loosing one guy who has been with me for 8 years over this but I'm ok with that
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
12-23-2012, 07:48 PM
It really depends on the day. We have days where we pass by 3-4 places to eat and I'll let them stop to get lunch, other days I tell them to bring a lunch unless they want to walk to the store. Are your lunches paid?

yardguy28
12-23-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm with that guy.....work somewhere else would be my choice.

even solo guys take a lunch break. sometimes I eat in between jobs or I've been known to stop for a solid hour somewhere.

ponyboy
12-23-2012, 07:54 PM
For drivers yes for labora no
It's funny 2 crews 2 guys being lunch driver leaves them to go get his food almost 30 minted then comes back to eat with them
They guys don't like it
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyboy
12-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Again you are solo so you can take as long as you want when guys turn 30 minute in 60 lunch costs me a lot of money
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
12-23-2012, 07:57 PM
My guys bring lunch. Its the best. I still give a paid lunch break, I'm just not paying you to go get it. Especially since most days we're in the dump and pulling a skid steer. Tools everywhere etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
12-23-2012, 08:43 PM
i worked for a company a long time ago when i was in college. we always stopped somewhere for lunch and we took 1 hr. the boss ate with us. it was 3-4 of us. we worked together and ate lunch together 8hrs a day with 1hr lunch (8am-5pm) 5 days a week. the boss never did any work but he drove the truck all day and would just talk to the customers while the rest of us did the work.

LandFakers
12-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Whenever I recruit employees on certain days, I tell them to bring a lunch and that we will stop during the day to eat, but im not letting them go to the deli and take 45 minutes to get a pastrami sub. I hire them to get work done, and I feel like its not to hard to throw a sandwich and some chips into a bag in the morning. Ive been doing it for 25 years without an issue

weeze
12-23-2012, 09:05 PM
you gotta take time to relax during the day. pushing your guys all day every day will only make them get sloppy and not care about doing a good job. they work hard so they deserve a nice break for lunch. i remember those days man. the boss put me on the trimmer all day long every day. i always thought that was unfair since the other two guys got to ride the walkers while i did most of the trimming if not all of it. what did this do? it made me hate working for him is what it did. why not spread the work load out among all 3 of us and make it fair for everyone? that would have made me like the job alot more as it would any person in the world. it's just common sense.

even with a good hr lunch i hated the job. can you imagine what i would've thought had the boss been like bring a sack lunch and you can eat between yards? slave driver is what that is called. that's why american people don't wanna work these jobs. noone wants to be treated like that. people wanna be treated fairly.

LandFakers
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
I let people take an hour lunch, relax, and all that. Im not here to slave drive. Im just not going to have people take 45 minutes to get lunch and then expect an hour to eat...

ponyboy
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
No at 12 they stop and eat for 30 minutes then 1230 back to work
It's funny 12 out of 13 are ok brinning lunch only 1 is not
Sucks loosing a worker but it only takes one worker to ruin the rest
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
12-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I let people take an hour lunch, relax, and all that. Im not here to slave drive. Im just not going to have people take 45 minutes to get lunch and then expect an hour to eat...

no the 1hr includes driving to the place, standing in line, and eating. 1hr total. not 1hr 45min lol.

we always stopped on the way to the next yard so our lunch didn't start until we got to the eating joint. so we had 5-10 min to order our food and sit down and then 50-55min to eat and relax.

now that i'm solo i usually only spend 30min for lunch. i'm not trimming all day though either. i'm sitting on a mower alot so that's not very hard work. i just relax doing that or driving between jobs. i often get a drink or whatever after edging or trimming before i get on the mower. i just work at my own pace which is what i love most about having my own business.

ponyboy
12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm not with my crews just add up the money we waste while guys slack off even if it only 5 to 10 minutes a day
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyboy
12-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Btw you save a lot of money brinning lunch and drinks
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
I do provide a big cooler stocked with water and ice. First of all its EXPENSIVE buying a bottle or two or four at the gas station and second my guys appreciate the gesture and it keeps up all going
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
12-23-2012, 10:21 PM
eating a sandwich everyday for lunch just gets old. i'm not much of a sandwich eater. it's ok every now and then but not every day.

jlcrox2
12-23-2012, 10:53 PM
It's not out of line at all. I had a boss once that made us bring everyday UNLESS we were close enough to walk to a restaurant. I would remind them that the time you give them starts when they stop working. If you give them an hour and it takes them 50 minutes to get their food then they better be able to eat it in 10. I had a crew once that kept a microwave in their truck so they didn't eat cold sandwiches everyday.

T Scapes
12-23-2012, 10:56 PM
i am not a big fan of the sit down lunch break. I feel like people shut down after sitting for that time. The 1 guy who cut with me this year we had a place we would stop at each day and grab something quick eat on the way to the next lawn. He didnt mind it and neither do i. Next year when their own there own im gonna try and meet up with them as much as possible for lunch. Most days we could go somewere like wawa have cold drinks hot food and was more than just a sandwich that sat in a cooler all day. We could be in and out in 10 minutes but between driving to and from and being inside it took right around a half hour

knox gsl
12-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm a fairly small operation but I rovide a cooler with ice and bottled water. My worker gets a paid lunch and we go to a sit down restraunt. I like to provide a place to wash up go to the john and sit in the A/C for lunch. I really hate the idea that he has put in a hard day of work and doesn't have these simple things. My guy works hard, does quality work and shows up on time so I really don't want to replace him.

aaronmg
12-24-2012, 12:01 AM
I have a setup on my mower where I have a medium sized kettle attached next to the engine and it takes until about 11:30 to where the water gets hot enough to cook. Then I throw in 4 packets of ramen noodle soup (chicken flavored). 12:30 the soup is ready to eat. Since I buy the ramen noodle I deduct $1.12 a day per employee (3 employees but they get 1 1/4 servings). Seems to have worked out but I haven't heard from any of them since the end of the season....

weeze
12-24-2012, 12:38 AM
lol that's funny stuff right there. i actually love ramen noodle soup lol. would get old eating it every day though.

CL&T
12-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Personally I always bring my lunch. No way am I going to pack up just to go and find some place to eat. In the heat of the summer I'm not hungry anyway, so as long as I have water I can wait till quiting time. But that's me. Give your guys an hour to do whatever they want. But it's an hour, no more.

Will P.C.
12-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Around me, these Mexican woman drive around in a little Pinto packed with hot food to the different construction sites/landscape jobs. For 5 bucks, you get a giant plate of hot food and it is different everyday. The food is actually really good and I often eat it if I can flag one of these cars down.

I think it a draconian to expect a laborer to work a physical job w/o a lunch. Would you start your lawnmower up with the tank on empty?

I think it is a law as well that after 5hrs, the guy needs a lunch break. Take him off the clock for an hour.

94gt331
12-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Good topic, I'm sure we all have issues with our lunch break policys. I allways took my guys out everyday to a sit down resturaunt for lunch but I'm changing that this year to mon-thurs the whole crew packs there lunches and we eat on the job or if they want to leave the job they can but the minute they leve the jobsite there off the clock until they get back to the jobsite. Friday's will be a free luch to my guys on me at a sitdown resturaunt. It cost me so much this past year with being careless with lunch breaks.

bdlawncare
12-24-2012, 02:19 AM
i am not a big fan of the sit down lunch break. I feel like people shut down after sitting for that time. The 1 guy who cut with me this year we had a place we would stop at each day and grab something quick eat on the way to the next lawn. He didnt mind it and neither do i. Next year when their own there own im gonna try and meet up with them as much as possible for lunch. Most days we could go somewere like wawa have cold drinks hot food and was more than just a sandwich that sat in a cooler all day. We could be in and out in 10 minutes but between driving to and from and being inside it took right around a half hour

I agree, had two new guys work for me this year, and we always switch up our lunches... Deli, Pizza, whatever... Both of them told me they would prefer not to stop so long for lunch because it " kills momentum" and they feel slow after sitting down and eating for an hour. they would rather spend 30 min on lunch and finish 30 min earlier at the end of the day. I feel the same way sitting down for a long time makes me lazy, i'll sit down at the end of the day when all the work is done, and then im not getting up! hahah

CL&T
12-24-2012, 02:29 AM
... Both of them told me they would prefer not to stop so long for lunch because it " kills momentum" and they feel slow after sitting down and eating for an hour. they would rather spend 30 min on lunch and finish 30 min earlier at the end of the day. I feel the same way sitting down for a long time makes me lazy, i'll sit down at the end of the day when all the work is done, and then im not getting up! hahah

That's absolutely true and it's a scientific fact. Eat a big meal and your body diverts energy to digestion, so you feel tired. In the winter you will feel cold also.

GreenI.A.
12-24-2012, 04:01 AM
we don't do maintenance so it is a little different for us but here is how our crews work lunch.

Construction and install crews: get a 30 minute paid lunch half way through the day. They bring their lunch with them. A couple of the guys have a routine that a couple days a week they order sandwiches and have them delivered to the site they are on, they call them in early and request that they be delivered at a certain time.

Fert techs and irrigation/lighting service guys also get 30 minutes and can either bring their lunch or stop on their route for fast food or take out. If they have to go out of the way of their route for food, that additional drive time is part of the 30 minute break. For normal days they are not allowed to stop and eat at a customers property, they are expected to stop for lunch between accounts. If they are at the location for an extended period of time, such as a large 4hr fert app or an irrigation repair that takes 1/2 a day, and it is around break time, then they are allowed to take the break on site.

Construction crews always have a cooler of ice and bottled water, many choose to bring their own gatorade. I picked up an icemaker of craigs list real cheap. The grocery stores are always running sales on 24pks of water.

Also every Friday lunch for the guys. In the am we grab orders from the guys on the construction/install crews, then someone goes and grabs it or we have it delivered later on. I don't leave the other guys out, everyone not on the instal crews gets a $10 gift card on friday morning. I keep a number of giftcards for a few different chains in my desk. btw if you talk to the manager and are buying a couple hundred in gift cards you can usually get a good discount, I usually pay between $5-$7 for $10 cards.

Toro 455
12-24-2012, 08:06 AM
The law says that after 4 hours of work employees must get a minimum 30 minute break for lunch away from their work station (not riding in the truck).
To not do this would get you in trouble as much as not making them wear mandated safety equipment.

Some of the biggest offenders of workers rights I've seen were Hispanic crew leaders. Those guys can be harsh! Not to mention illegal.

Back in the day when I ran crews I bought their lunch and paid them to eat it. I left the ole payroll clock running right thru lunch. Their production was impressive.
I led by example. They worked their butts off trying to keep up with the old man.

"THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTILL MORALE IMPROVES!"

weeze
12-24-2012, 01:22 PM
That's absolutely true and it's a scientific fact. Eat a big meal and your body diverts energy to digestion, so you feel tired. In the winter you will feel cold also.

this is true if you eat the wrong thing. don't eat burgers, steaks, or any red meat for lunch. that will make you more tired than anything. stick to things like fish or chicken. they don't slow you down so much. don't eat till you are totally full either. just eat a normal sized meal. hope this helps.

Patriot Services
12-24-2012, 01:32 PM
For guys with crews do you make your guys bring lunch?
I'm starting that this year 30 minutes turned into 10 to go to their deli then 10 minutes to order then 10 to drive to next lawn then 30 for lunch
So no it's being lunch or work some where else looks like I'm loosing one guy who has been with me for 8 years over this but I'm ok with that
Posted via Mobile Device

Why do keep starting threads on ways to make your guys lives miserable. You must be a real joy to work for. The way it sounds is money is getting tight and you want everyone to shoulder the burden. The loss of an 8 year employee should be a wake up call for you. Lose the newest or weakest link and find non employee ways to save money.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
12-24-2012, 01:51 PM
really it sounds like every major company i worked for during my life lol. any time they cut costs the burden was put on the employees. that's why i quit working for all those garbage companies. they sit back and make billions of dollars a year doing nothing while they pay their workers to slave for $8-$25 an hr asking them to meet quotas that aren't even humanly possible to reach.

yardguy28
12-24-2012, 03:52 PM
this is true if you eat the wrong thing. don't eat burgers, steaks, or any red meat for lunch. that will make you more tired than anything. stick to things like fish or chicken. they don't slow you down so much. don't eat till you are totally full either. just eat a normal sized meal. hope this helps.

everyone's different though.

when I stop for lunch I usually get say at Wendy's a triple baconador combo large size. at McDonald's I'll get 2 double quarter pounders with cheese.

doesn't slow me down a bit. in fact if I didn't fill up, that's what slows me down.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
12-24-2012, 04:28 PM
They have a reasonable quota to fill each day, they can either take 30 min break for lunch or work straight through if they'd like. Different people like it different ways.

ponyboy
12-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Not a troll not a d bag either if you read I pay guys from shop yo shop but if people add up hours for gas and lunch I can save over $4500 by fueling up at shop in am and if guys bring lunch and stop at 12 to eat no drive time to get food and they will save money bringing lunch and drinks it will then in return save me fuel to get lunch and time it takes to leave job site then wait on line then return to job site then take their lunch. This does not apply to solo workers or 1 crew guys this is more for people with multiple crews out
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
12-24-2012, 05:40 PM
everyone's different though.

when I stop for lunch I usually get say at Wendy's a triple baconador combo large size. at McDonald's I'll get 2 double quarter pounders with cheese.

doesn't slow me down a bit. in fact if I didn't fill up, that's what slows me down.

that's cool if you can get away with it lol. it does slow me down if i don't eat too. i start feeling weak even if i drink gatorade and water. sometimes i work and take a later lunch and i can really tell. taking lunch at 2-3pm isn't good lol. if i eat around 12-1pm i'm good.

Charles
12-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Solo here. Most of the time I take bread and water. Eat the bread while i am gassing up the weedeater or blower.:laugh: Too much food just makes me sleepy. I would rather get finished early than stop for lunch or spend more time in the hottest part of the day.

weeze
12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
no charles see what you do is take lunch during the hottest part of the day. like 1-3pm. just relax in the cold a/c and take a nap if you want. then go back working once you're all done lol.

yardguy28
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
no Charles and no Jason.

what you REALLY do is start as Early as you can on those hot days and either get done before the heat or just call it a day before the heat.

then you can eat as much as you want, take a nap and soak up the ac.

Duekster
12-24-2012, 08:55 PM
I give 30 mins for lunch but I think they guys take a little longer at times.

Considering going to a higher pay rate but paying by the job.

I need to track that internally for a short while before I decide.

I have a shop fridge with some water and ice plus a water filter. Box of Gatoraid and some times I buy trail mix or other snacks. Not enough to feed them every day but a little something.

weeze
12-24-2012, 09:50 PM
no Charles and no Jason.

what you REALLY do is start as Early as you can on those hot days and either get done before the heat or just call it a day before the heat.

then you can eat as much as you want, take a nap and soak up the ac.

actually the only way to beat the heat here in july and august would be to have lights and cut in the dark lol. might get some noise complaints though mowing at midnight lol.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-25-2012, 01:47 AM
The law says that after 4 hours of work employees must get a minimum 30 minute break for lunch away from their work station (not riding in the truck).
To not do this would get you in trouble as much as not making them wear mandated safety equipment.

Some of the biggest offenders of workers rights I've seen were Hispanic crew leaders. Those guys can be harsh! Not to mention illegal.

Back in the day when I ran crews I bought their lunch and paid them to eat it. I left the ole payroll clock running right thru lunch. Their production was impressive.
I led by example. They worked their butts off trying to keep up with the old man.

"THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTILL MORALE IMPROVES!"

The trouble with posting your state laws is not every states laws are as poorly written. This is from ct dept of labor:

7. Is an employer required to provide a break?
Connecticut state law does not require an employer to provide a break. However, state law does require the employer to provide a meal period after the employee has worked 7¬Ĺ or more consecutive hours. Meal period requirements are covered under 31-51ii of the Conn. State Statutes.

8. Is the employer required to provide a meal period?
The employer must provide a meal period of at least 30 consecutive minutes if the employee has worked for 7¬Ĺ or more consecutive hours. However, the Labor Commissioner will exempt the employer from this requirement if one of the following conditions is present:
a. complying with this requirement would endanger public safety;
b. the duties of the position can only be performed by one employee;
c. the employer employs less than 5 employees on that shift at that one business location (this only applies to that particular shift); or,
d. the employer's operation requires that employees be available to respond to urgent conditions, and that the employees are compensated for the meal period.

So breaks are not required here and since my crews are 2-3 man nor are lunches. We do not take lunch every day but we also do not doc for it and we pay them from the time they get to the shop till the time were unloaded and they leave.

But the OP is getting screwed and it's a topic I have thought on as well and in the future I have plans to solve that issue. Two phase one gps tracking over every truck we have and two a work site time clock where they clock in and out by swiping there ids. Currently they sign in and out and are regularly caught steeling time from me. I intend to end that soon and pay by the min not by the quarter hours. If they wish to take 47 mins for lunch then np but they learn its their time not mine. And most guys would rather snack all day and skip lunch get home earlier and have a larger pay check. It's only when they think the lunch is a income perk that they become obsessed with it.