PDA

View Full Version : Solo operators vacations

Trucklover
12-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Well this year my company is growing and alot of things have changed, how do you solo operators take vacations without stopping work? I am very particular with my work and like things done right so not sure who to get to take over for a couple days.

kyles landscape
12-24-2012, 06:28 AM
unfortunatly before the season or the end of it....

djagusch
12-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Funny concept, vacation being solo, very funny.

The best you will have is sat/sun/mon and maybe Tuesday off for a vacation. Then hustle wed-fri. Don't forget the calls you can never stop either.
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
12-24-2012, 07:24 AM
unfortunatly before the season or the end of it....

What he said........

Monroe74
12-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Really? Even when you have employees it's not really vacation.
Best bet is small get aways around the hottest part of the season when the turf goes dormant but even then you can't plan for it.

kyles landscape
12-24-2012, 08:25 AM
ya if you have employee and go away to relax usually thats when something goes wrong hahah i havent had a real vacation since i started but i will be taking a cruise at the end of winter before spring starts atleast i hope so.

i know some people who have smalller operations and only landscape and vacation during the winter because they dont do snow

Crimson Lawn
12-24-2012, 08:44 AM
If I do take one, it is around the 1st or 3rd week of October. There is alot of work still going on with leaves/landscaping. It has cooled off enough, not as much sunlight so growth is not as much. I will plan this about 3 months out and inform all our customers. We go to everyother week in october so the last regular cut comes at the last week of September. Any later or into November, we risk geting a surprise snow and not being here to do our responsibility. That would not work out very well.

jrs.landscaping
12-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Really? Even when you have employees it's not really vacation.
Best bet is small get aways around the hottest part of the season when the turf goes dormant but even then you can't plan for it.

This is what I do, mid August everything is slow enough the other guys can keep up. Even then I only take off Sat. Sun. and Mon.

Chilehead
12-24-2012, 09:02 AM
My "off time" is scheduled as follows:
*The Tuesday before Thanksgiving through the Sunday after Thanksgiving
*Christmas Eve (YAAAY!) through the seventh day of January
*A week in February (varies)
*A week in March (varies and usually does not happen)

Being in Atlanta, we usually don't have snow. My winters are scheduled with hardscapes which affords me the opportunity to fit in vacations. Originally from Cleveland, OH, I empathize with LCOs who mow spring through fall AND plow snow all winter with no break in sight. The money may be good, but the toll it takes on you is brutal.

Roger
12-24-2012, 09:21 AM
The words "solo" and "vacation" don't go well in the same sentence.

After the season starts in late March (this year, mid-March), the next day off will be Thanksgiving. This year, I did take July 4 off, the first in a long time. The grass wasn't growing well, and I only had a couple of entries on the list.

Other than that, six days, full days, every week. All else is taken off the schedule. I never work on Sunday.

When somebody who is working 40 hours per week for an employer says, "I want my own business, so that I can set my own working hours," I have to chuckle. In the present setting, you have an obligation to manage 40 hours per week. When you are solo with your own business, you manage all 168 hours per week. Thinking "setting my own working hours," is going to be easier than the 40 hours, is being delusional.

bj1bmx
12-30-2012, 10:05 PM
i work with my brother and we live in southern NJ. we do not do snow work...

i go away for a few weeks in january.

i work another job 40+ hours a week from feb 1 to late march. (but this technically could all be vacation time)

work 6-7 days a week from late march through july 4.

july august september october i take a few 3 day weekend trips

i go away for thanksgiving for 4-5 days because we are just about done leaves by then.

december is pretty flexible but i don't often go anywhere because i am getting ready for the holidays and the big january trip.

i like compact work weeks. i would rather work 4 12 hour days than 6 8 hour days. i love to travel and explore at every opportunity.

if you are solo and expect to take 1-2 week vacations between april and october and still have a business to come back to, think again. if the trip of a lifetime came up during these months, i would ask my friend who owns a landscaping company to cover my accounts while gone and accept the fact that i would earn next to nothing during this time..

this assumes that you do lawn maintenance work and have to be onsite the same time each week. if you do landscape installs, just tell the customer you are booked 2-3 weeks out and schedule the job accordingly. they dont need to know you are away...

cpllawncare
12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
The words "solo" and "vacation" don't go well in the same sentence.

After the season starts in late March (this year, mid-March), the next day off will be Thanksgiving. This year, I did take July 4 off, the first in a long time. The grass wasn't growing well, and I only had a couple of entries on the list.

Other than that, six days, full days, every week. All else is taken off the schedule. I never work on Sunday.

When somebody who is working 40 hours per week for an employer says, "I want my own business, so that I can set my own working hours," I have to chuckle. In the present setting, you have an obligation to manage 40 hours per week. When you are solo with your own business, you manage all 168 hours per week. Thinking "setting my own working hours," is going to be easier than the 40 hours, is being delusional.

I'll work all 168 to keep from going back to that 40 though!

Duekster
12-30-2012, 11:09 PM
You know a 3 day long weekend in Vegas is good for mental down time.

Woody82986
12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
You know a 3 day long weekend in Vegas is good for mental down time.

That was pretty much exactly how we squeezed in our Vegas honeymoon in July. But we stretched it to 4 days. I love Vegas. And Vegas makes it so easy to forget home for a few days.

Duekster
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
That was pretty much exactly how we squeezed in our Vegas honeymoon in July. But we stretched it to 4 days. I love Vegas. And Vegas makes it so easy to forget home for a few days.\

From the time you get off the plane to the time you go back to the airport the rest of the world does not exist. Just lose the phone and go on a long weekend.
You may not come home well rested unless you sleep on the plane :laugh:

But mentally, you are refreshed and that matters a whole lot.

M & L
01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Yeah right.

I was solo for 2 years. My vacation (up here in R.I.) was mid Dec-Mid Apr.

I didnt do snow, then started too and realized " I am on call" with the snow.

I hired a couple of people in april knowing i was having a baby in Nov. I trained and let them drive and even sent them out randomly to get used to when i wanted to send them after the baby arrived. I even gave responsability raises to them.

Either i did a bad job trianing them or they just felt like "eh who cares the boss isnt here for two weeks"

Needless to say withing 3 days of me being home the phone wrang off the hook with 1/2 dozen complaints. And i was back to work.

I sent letters to my customers stating "No snow" this year due to baby. Lost a few that probably werent worth keeping anyway. And now im off Mid Dec-Mid April again! Which sucks because my wife is a school teacher so we NEVER have the same time off, and thats why i went to key west solo last jan.

Vacation for you will depend on

1. your work load
2. your productivity (with out sacrificing quality)
3. your local weather/season.

It is what you make it.