PDA

View Full Version : Can't get pulley off deck!! Please Help!

PabsMaster
12-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Hello to all,

I am working on this snapper 61 out front mower and I can't get the spindles off! how do I get them off? Below is a diagram of it. I tried to pull them off but they wont even move a bit! I can't get actual pics to upload for some reason. I will keep trying!

Thanks,

Pabs

weaver
12-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Hello to all,

I am working on this snapper 61 out front mower and I can't get the spindles off! how do I get them off? Below is a diagram of it. I tried to pull them off but they wont even move a bit! I can't get actual pics to upload for some reason. I will keep trying!

Thanks,

The spindle actually nut and bolts to the deck. The pully can be a pain. Once you get the top nut off you might wanna try heat. I had to actually cut them off before with a angle grinder before i could get the spindle off to put new bearings in ..

Pabs
Posted via Mobile Device

herler
12-24-2012, 01:35 AM
I believe in that diagram number 10 and/or 12 refers to...

A little hex set screw that sits in the pulley holding it tight against the center shaft.
Until that set screw has been loosened, no pulley comes off.

Can I have the cookie now?

weaver
12-24-2012, 01:40 AM

A little hex set screw that sits in the pulley holding it tight against the center shaft.

I thought those where grease fitings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greg78
12-24-2012, 07:58 AM
What are you trying to pull them off with? Never had a spindle shaft pulley I couldn't get off with a 3 jaw puller. Need a 3 jaw not a 2 jaw as the the 2 jaw puller will bend the pulley.

Landrus2
12-24-2012, 10:36 AM
We gonna have some fun with this:cry:

Landrus2
12-24-2012, 10:41 AM
My way I use a 40 ton 3 jaw puller with the help of the torch lots heat and it comes out like you cutting butter.:waving:

Richard Martin
12-24-2012, 11:33 AM

10 is the grease zerk fitting and 12 is the spindle grease vent.

No biscuit for you, bad dog.

weaver
12-24-2012, 11:36 AM
10 is the grease zerk fitting and 12 is the spindle grease vent.

No biscuit for you, bad dog.

That's what i said also. The grease fittings go in the spindle and the set screws go in the pulley. That's if it even has one..

Ridin' Green
12-24-2012, 12:32 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe that #3 is a snap ring that goes over #4 (and fits into the little groove towards the top of it in that diagram) to hold things all together while/when you remove the center bolt to replace or sharpen the blade, or to replace the pulley. I know I had a Toro like that several years ago.

Richard Martin
12-24-2012, 01:00 PM
That's what i said also. The grease fittings go in the spindle and the set screws go in the pulley. That's if it even has one..

There's aren't any. Ferris heated the pulley up and then installed it. The pulley cooled and now has a Vise-Grip lock on the shaft. Heat the pulley with an acetylene torch and it will pop right off. You must be fast and use a lot of heat. If you take your time it will also heat the shaft and never come off. :weightlifter:

PabsMaster
12-24-2012, 01:09 PM
I got it just took the spindle off and bang the shaft out came out nice too. barley any grease in it and its 7 years old. Should I go ahead and replace the bearings? or no?

Thanks,

pabs

Landrus2
12-24-2012, 01:14 PM
I got it just took the spindle off and bang the shaft out came out nice too. barley any grease in it and its 7 years old. Should I go ahead and replace the bearings? or no?

Thanks,

pabs

Do they Have play:waving:

BrunoT
12-24-2012, 08:03 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe that #3 is a snap ring that goes over #4 (and fits into the little groove towards the top of it in that diagram) to hold things all together while/when you remove the center bolt to replace or sharpen the blade, or to replace the pulley. I know I had a Toro like that several years ago.

I also thought it could be a snap ring. Better have a set of snap ring pliers and it's best to replace them rather than put them back on.

MOW ED
12-25-2012, 09:58 AM
When all else fails a 4.5" grinder with a metal cutting blade will surgically (better yet barbarically) remove the pulley.