PDA

View Full Version : The 36 inch Stander Deck Comparison Thread

FastMan
12-24-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm going to be buying a new 36 inch stander very soon, and would like to hear your feelings/experience with the cutting prowess of the decks of that width from the various manufactures who offer models in that category.

I'll be using it on southern grasses, specifically Florida. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

ric1
12-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm going to be buying a new 36 inch stander very soon, and would like to hear your feelings/experience with the cutting prowess of the decks of that width from the various manufactures who offer models in that category.

I'll be using it on southern grasses, specifically Florida. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Well what do you want to know. I'm running a 36" stander ( Toro Grandstand) with the 7 gauge Turbo Force deck and it's the best cutting deck I've ever used. I really like the adjustable Flow baffle for different types of grasses and conditions. With so many people putting up fences the 36" deck works well for gates and it rides fantastic, best purchase I ever made in a mower.

kawasaki guy
12-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I hear the Great Dane Surfer 34" machines cut really well. They go 9.5 MPH too!

FastMan
12-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Well what do you want to know. I'm running a 36" stander ( Toro Grandstand) with the 7 gauge Turbo Force deck and it's the best cutting deck I've ever used. I really like the adjustable Flow baffle for different types of grasses and conditions. With so many people putting up fences the 36" deck works well for gates and it rides fantastic, best purchase I ever made in a mower.

Thanks, ric. The grandstand is on my short list. Where are you located? I know different decks excel in different areas. I have a turbo force 60 inch on a G3 and love it too. I wanted to hear how it performed in the 36 inch version, especially as I've found it's not as deep as the 60 inch, so I'm glad you chimed in.

How does it give you any problems with the front lifting up on you? I demoed larger deck version and noticed it was lifting up on me more than I liked. I'm a big guy, though, and was operating it on very hill terrain.

Also, I've been reading about some issues of boil over after running for a while with the Grandstands. Worries me a bit as I'll be operating in Florida.

FastMan
12-24-2012, 04:00 PM
I hear the Great Dane Surfer 34" machines cut really well. They go 9.5 MPH too!

Thanks, I'll look into them. Anyone else have experience with them?

ric1
12-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks, ric. The grandstand is on my short list. Where are you located? I know different decks excel in different areas. I have a turbo force 60 inch on a G3 and love it too. I wanted to hear how it performed in the 36 inch version, especially as I've found it's not as deep as the 60 inch, so I'm glad you chimed in.

How does it give you any problems with the front lifting up on you? I demoed larger deck version and noticed it was lifting up on me more than I liked. I'm a big guy, though, and was operating it on very hill terrain.

Also, I've been reading about some issues of boil over after running for a while with the Grandstands. Worries me a bit as I'll be operating in Florida.

I'm in central Florida (Tampa/St Pete area) I have no problem with the cut and all my lawns are St Augustine and Bahia. I've never had any problems with the mower and never encountered any lifting in the front end and I don't use any weights.
I go about 190 most of the time and I think it's supposed to take a 300lb rider. I'm not sure what you mean when you say issues with boil over but I'm going to assume your talking about the motor or drives getting hot, if so I've never had an issue with anything like that and I've been out mowing in temps of 105 degrees and better with no issues so I wouldn't let that worry you.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
12-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Subscribing

FastMan
12-25-2012, 01:15 AM
I'm in central Florida (Tampa/St Pete area) I have no problem with the cut and all my lawns are St Augustine and Bahia. I've never had any problems with the mower and never encountered any lifting in the front end and I don't use any weights.
I go about 190 most of the time and I think it's supposed to take a 300lb rider. I'm not sure what you mean when you say issues with boil over but I'm going to assume your talking about the motor or drives getting hot, if so I've never had an issue with anything like that and I've been out mowing in temps of 105 degrees and better with no issues so I wouldn't let that worry you.

ric, thanks again. That's all very reassuring. Especially since you're out their using the unit in the very same state I'm heading to. Can't get much more relevant feedback. The GS just took a giant step up on my list.

Above Par Lawns
12-25-2012, 01:30 AM

I am leaning towards the Toro as well. All the equipment at the golf course I work at is Toro. I just feel really comfortable on the Grandstand compared to anything else I've looked at. Our mechanic could easily work on it and we're pretty tight with the Toro rep that comes in so that's a plus as well. DECISION MADE!

Above Par Lawns
12-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Do you have the roller on it? I need a mower that's gonna stripe well. I deal with mainly cool season grass. Anyone have any pictures of how it stripes?

ric1
12-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Do you have the roller on it? I need a mower that's gonna stripe well. I deal with mainly cool season grass. Anyone have any pictures of how it stripes?

I personally don't have the roller on it. I would assume you could get a kit for it but for myself I have no need. I do have a set on the 48" cc but have never used it.

ric1
12-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I just went to the Toro site and they do offer the optional striping kit, it doesn't list the price but it is available.

knox gsl
12-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I have a 36" Exmark WB with mulch kit that does great on bermuda and zoysia grass. I know I'm not in FL so I can't say for sure on St.augustine. I think the Exmark stander (Vantage) uses the same deck.

Rhett
12-25-2012, 11:18 AM
I have the Exmark Vantage in Florida. Nice mower,decent cut with mulch kit. Bad side is that this is not a mower for hills or around ponds. Also a tad pricey compared to others in the same class

FastMan
12-25-2012, 03:52 PM
So, is the Exmark Vantage basically a Toro Grandstand with an ultra cut deck instead of a turboforce, or are there other significant differences in the machines?

LandFakers
12-25-2012, 04:01 PM
So, is the Exmark Vantage basically a Toro Grandstand with an ultra cut deck instead of a turboforce, or are there other significant differences in the machines?
From what I have read, they are basically the same machine with different paint and a different deck, atleast thats what the specs are leading me to believe

ric1
12-25-2012, 04:24 PM

The Exmark Vantage is made by Toro and is basically the same machine, and yes Exmark used their deck. The only significant difference is the price.:)

ric1
12-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I have the Exmark Vantage in Florida. Nice mower,decent cut with mulch kit. Bad side is that this is not a mower for hills or around ponds. Also a tad pricey compared to others in the same class

Ya know I've heard that before and I had the same problem with my GS until I had a flat tire and when I took it in to have it repaired I told the mechanic it wasn't worth a crap on hills an inclines like Toro said. He told me that the tires were way over inflated, he said no more than 10lbs 12 at the very max and since I had the tire fixed and the air set at 10lbs it's a different mower on hills and inclines, the mechanic said 10lbs psi will give you the best traction and it should hold with no problem.

Florida Gardener
12-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Ya know I've heard that before and I had the same problem with my GS until I had a flat tire and when I took it in to have it repaired I told the mechanic it wasn't worth a crap on hills an inclines like Toro said. He told me that the tires were way over inflated, he said no more than 10lbs 12 at the very max and since I had the tire fixed and the air set at 10lbs it's a different mower on hills and inclines, the mechanic said 10lbs psi will give you the best traction and it should hold with no problem.

I have a 2008 36" Fixed Deck Wright Stander. I love it. Leaves a great cut. I run a plate in summer and mulch kit in winter.....The deck isn't the best for mulching but for a 15hp motor...its fast. It has 415 hours and no issues.

I haven't run any other brand stander, but what I would tell you is go with the company that has the best promotion right now. You can get a Wright with the seasonal buying and 4 years 0% interest. That would be plenty for me to go with them. If Toro offers same thing, consider them too. There will def. be more Wright and Toro dealers than any other brand.

ric1
12-25-2012, 05:28 PM
I have a 2008 36" Fixed Deck Wright Stander. I love it. Leaves a great cut. I run a plate in summer and mulch kit in winter.....The deck isn't the best for mulching but for a 15hp motor...its fast. It has 415 hours and no issues.

I haven't run any other brand stander, but what I would tell you is go with the company that has the best promotion right now. You can get a Wright with the seasonal buying and 4 years 0% interest. That would be plenty for me to go with them. If Toro offers same thing, consider them too. There will def. be more Wright and Toro dealers than any other brand.

There's no doubt that wright's a good machine and does have a good cut, there's a couple of guys locally that use them and I've looked at their cuts. That would be my second choice but what sold me on the Grandstand was the 5 year 1200 hr warranty and that the dealer is 4 miles from my house helped.:)

pugs
12-26-2012, 12:08 PM
There's no doubt that wright's a good machine and does have a good cut, there's a couple of guys locally that use them and I've looked at their cuts. That would be my second choice but what sold me on the Grandstand was the 5 year 1200 hr warranty and that the dealer is 4 miles from my house helped.:)

Why did the warranty sell you? Just curious. My customers generally can do over 600 hours a year up here. I would assume you guys in Florida do even more. So the Toro warranty will last less than 2 years. While most other brands will give you a straight 2 year warranty without hour limits or have hour limits that are probably not going to be hit like Bobcat's 2 year/2000 hour warranty.

ric1
12-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Why did the warranty sell you? Just curious. My customers generally can do over 600 hours a year up here. I would assume you guys in Florida do even more. So the Toro warranty will last less than 2 years. While most other brands will give you a straight 2 year warranty without hour limits or have hour limits that are probably not going to be hit like Bobcat's 2 year/2000 hour warranty.

Actually the yearly hours never really play a part for me. The hours I put on my mowers are divided now by the two ztr's and two push mowers. I've never put over 300 hours a year on any individual mower. So at years end I'll go somewhere between 500 and 600 hours total. At one time I could be running a 36" wb, a 44" and 48" ztr and my GS all maybe in a day depending on where I was mowing. I just thought that the 5 year warranty on the GS mite be handy to have in the long run.

You must be a dealer? if so you know a good dealer is worth there weight in gold and I have one:) and he's less than 4 miles from the house and for me that's hard to beat itself.

pugs
12-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Actually the yearly hours never really play a part for me. The hours I put on my mowers are divided now by the two ztr's and two push mowers. I've never put over 300 hours a year on any individual mower. So at years end I'll go somewhere between 500 and 600 hours total. At one time I could be running a 36" wb, a 44" and 48" ztr and my GS all maybe in a day depending on where I was mowing. I just thought that the 5 year warranty on the GS mite be handy to have in the long run.

You must be a dealer? if so you know a good dealer is worth there weight in gold and I have one:) and he's less than 4 miles from the house and for me that's hard to beat itself.

Ahh ok, makes sense then. I just feel that their commercial warranty is a bit lacking with that 1200 hour limit. The same machine from Exmark gets a 2 or 3 year warranty I believe without the hour limit.

Also I think someone had mentioned about boiling over somewhere in this thread. That was a problem on the larger Grandstands. I think mainly the 60" class models. At some point they added like a cooler and fan to them, and I think they also put it on the 52" machines. It was the hydraulics that would overheat and overflow. Although I am not a fan of where the fan is...looks like low branches could snag it or cause issues.

FastMan
12-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Ahh ok, makes sense then. I just feel that their commercial warranty is a bit lacking with that 1200 hour limit. The same machine from Exmark gets a 2 or 3 year warranty I believe without the hour limit.

Also I think someone had mentioned about boiling over somewhere in this thread. That was a problem on the larger Grandstands. I think mainly the 60" class models. At some point they added like a cooler and fan to them, and I think they also put it on the 52" machines. It was the hydraulics that would overheat and overflow. Although I am not a fan of where the fan is...looks like low branches could snag it or cause issues.

I'm in the same boat as ric. I'm a solo operator, so my time is divided between several different machines and other landscaping jobs outside of mowing. As such, the toro warrantee works very well for me. It was one of the things that influenced my decision to by their G3 ztr.