PDA

View Full Version : Single Axle or Dual Axle

Monroe'sLawnCare
12-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Hey Everyone,
I am curious what you all think. I have gotten several different opinions on this matter.

I have a Scag Tiger Cat 52' and a Scag 36' WB. Along with trimmers, edger, blower, toolbox etc.

I need to get a new trailer for this coming year, and need to figure out if i need to get dual axle or not.

It would sure be nice to save money on the trailer and get a single axle, then have the $$ to put somewhere else, but it would also be nice to have a dual axle and have the peice of mind that i have brakes.

Thanks for your opinions.

Oh and I am pulling with a 07 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

Monroe74
12-24-2012, 06:24 PM
I believe the max length single axle trailer is 14 ft long after that you have to go dual.

Moose's Mowing
12-24-2012, 06:25 PM
I ran a single axle with two Sachs. One zrt and one walk behind. Along with trimmers blowers toniest etc. it was awesome having a single simply due to only having two tires to replace, more maneuverable and it fit everything I needed. Not having brakes sucked tho. I just sold it to upgrade to a dual axle but only because u needed it to start hauling my new compact tractor. If you're sure u won't need a dual axle then don't get it. If u think u might need extra space in the future along with more weight capacity, then just get the dual mow. But if you're strictly doing mowing and nothing more then I'd recommend the single axle. So really only u can answer this question. Hth

Monroe'sLawnCare
12-24-2012, 06:35 PM
I ran a single axle with two Sachs. One zrt and one walk behind. Along with trimmers blowers toniest etc. it was awesome having a single simply due to only having two tires to replace, more maneuverable and it fit everything I needed. Not having brakes sucked tho. I just sold it to upgrade to a dual axle but only because u needed it to start hauling my new compact tractor. If you're sure u won't need a dual axle then don't get it. If u think u might need extra space in the future along with more weight capacity, then just get the dual mow. But if you're strictly doing mowing and nothing more then I'd recommend the single axle. So really only u can answer this question. Hth

Did you ever have any problems stopping without trailer brakes in rain or wet roads?

LandFakers
12-24-2012, 07:19 PM
I would say dual axle for the sake if expansion
Posted via Mobile Device

trock
12-24-2012, 07:48 PM
If you want a single axle order a new trailer just have it built with brakes it only takes about four weeks to build i ordered one two years ago and it only added $125.00 to the price.

gallihergreen
12-24-2012, 08:10 PM
I'd go with a tandem axle.
Posted via Mobile Device

buttaluv
12-24-2012, 09:02 PM
if you stay single, and a 1/2 ton, you'll be below the magic 10,001 lbs, set forth by Mr. D.O.T....I have both, 3/4 ton 18' maxey, and a 1/2 ton 6 1/2 x 12 single...

Patriot Services
12-24-2012, 09:27 PM
A properly built 6X12 with a 3500lb axle loaded as you said will have barely an inch of travel left. Small bumps and the axle is hitting the frame. I speak from experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
12-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Trailers age parts wear out and metal fatigue is a fact of life. I have had a wheel snap off the axle once and it gave no signs it had a problem. I have had the bearings fail on a wheel once and it wouldn't have driven another 1000 feet when it did. Again no signs there was a problem till there is one. I have had an old lady merge into my trailer once and bend an axle.

In all cases the trailers had dual axles and in all cases were able to limp home after being unloaded into one of our other trails on 3 wheels. It's nice to have that ability and if you had a single axle in all 3 cases you'd be getting a flat bed and a nice bill plus the loss of your day.

knox gsl
12-24-2012, 10:51 PM
I would say go tandem axle if its your only trailer. Its nice to be able to get a few yards mulch, 15 or so plants and mowers on at the same time for a daily route. No need to make a seperate run to do a job when you're already there to mow. If your goal is to have brakes they should be on every wheel on every trailer anyhow.

LandFakers
12-24-2012, 11:52 PM
I would say go tandem axle if its your only trailer. Its nice to be able to get a few yards mulch, 15 or so plants and mowers on at the same time for a daily route. No need to make a seperate run to do a job when you're already there to mow. If your goal is to have brakes they should be on every wheel on every trailer anyhow.
Couldnt have said it better

Moose's Mowing
12-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Did you ever have any problems stopping without trailer brakes in rain or wet roads?

no can't say I have. but I didn't use that trailer much in the rain anyhow. stopping wasn't an issue but I was fairly light most times and towing with a 2500. it would have been real nice to have trailer brakes tho.

ps, sorry about the spelling in my last post, I posted from my iPhone

Landrus2
12-25-2012, 11:56 AM
You will love a dual when you get a flat tire:weightlifter:

turfbuilder
12-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Get a dual axle and I promise you won't regret that decision.