PDA

View Full Version : Zero Turn Ruts

recycledsole
12-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey guys,
i am new to using ZTRs. i have an exmark metro 36 wb belt drive fixed deck. When i am at the end of the cut and i need to turn around to continue the cut i want to make a 180 degree turn. When i do this it rips the grass and leaves a bare spot. Is there a way to avoid this?
thanks alot i really appreciate and advice on this very basic question.

dKoester
12-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Make a K -turn. When your at the end of the stripe you are on, turn into the next row but only half way (90 degrees) then back up and re-align now your on your new cut.

ric1
12-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Hey guys,
i am new to using ZTRs. i have an exmark metro 36 wb belt drive fixed deck. When i am at the end of the cut and i need to turn around to continue the cut i want to make a 180 degree turn. When i do this it rips the grass and leaves a bare spot. Is there a way to avoid this?
thanks alot i really appreciate and advice on this very basic question.

Some call it a K turn others say a Y turn but dKoester got it right on the button.

dKoester
12-24-2012, 10:19 PM
I agree its a Y. I had to visualize it in my head.

LandFakers
12-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Y's, K's same concept, and you can use them to not tear up the grass while your new. Once you get nice and comfy you can just spin around.

JParisan
12-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Just like a 3 point turn in a car. Keep it slow.

recycledsole
12-24-2012, 10:47 PM
oh. thanks guys. so once you get accustomed to it, how do you do it? on a belt drive that would be pretty slow. i will just continue making wide turns if i cant make a zero turn.
thank you very much guys

LandFakers
12-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Well the quick 180 is done by moving the stick in which way you want to turn direction wise into reverse while keeping the other stick moving forward(slowing down though), This will quick 180 you and off to the races. But its my 3rd year on the Z and I still tear up some lawns. I much prefer the "K" or "Y" as it doesnt really add much time and there is a much less chance for damage

recycledsole
12-25-2012, 01:08 PM
ok cool thanks guys, bear in mind i have a 36 belt drive walk behind.
thank you very much

KS_Grasscutter
12-25-2012, 01:55 PM
I have a 32" belt drive. Its pretty simple, when you go to turn around position your control lever on the inside wheel to neutral and keep the outside wheel powered. As you are turning pull the inside handle bar toward you. This will make the k pattern with the inside wheel. You don't got to move it back much, just takes maybe 6" to a foot to not make a divot.
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
12-25-2012, 09:10 PM
I prefer a quick 180 without thinking about it. But KS Grasscutter said it best with a belt driven WB.

The one thing you need that will help the most is practice, practice, and more practice.

Duekster
12-25-2012, 09:25 PM
night in the ruts