PDA

View Full Version : Grass quality

spgseth
12-24-2012, 11:23 PM
I want to get my St aug in my yard to take over and it has in the back yard but the front is mixed with bermuda and some other stuf I can't identify. What would you do to get the St Aug to take over? Thanks ahead of time for the responses. :drinkup:

mowerman90
12-24-2012, 11:37 PM
If you've got wild Bermuda mixed in with your St Augustine about all you can do is spray the Bermuda areas with roundup and then dig it up. After removing about 4 inches of soil you can then lay new St Augustine sod and fertilize and water it well until established.

spgseth
12-25-2012, 12:28 AM
The Bermuda was transplanted from the local golf course by the former home owner. The Bermuda is carpet like real tight and thick. Should I just choke out the St Aug with Bermuda instead? We're talking 2+ acres of front yard so I'm going to do whats possible without sodding.

Duekster
12-25-2012, 05:04 PM
SA can choke out Bermuda under the right conditions. Cater to the SA and it should do well.

Like wise the Bermuda.

If the Bermuda has the strong hold then I would go that route.

agrostis
12-25-2012, 08:57 PM
"it's not wild bermuda"

The only reason i wouldn't encourage hybrid bermuda over SA is if you are trying to grow it in the shade. I think bermuda win's as far as look's and strength. You can mow hybrid bermuda at 1 1/2" and it look's great, you need to mow SA at what? 4"

herler
12-25-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't hate because you're posting in the wrong area,
I hate because you're taking the easy way out by using a short cut,
that is also the likely reason why your lawn looks like ****.

Duekster
12-26-2012, 08:31 AM
"it's not wild Bermuda"

The only reason i wouldn't encourage hybrid Bermuda over SA is if you are trying to grow it in the shade. I think Bermuda Win's as far as looks and strength. You can mow hybrid Bermuda at 1 1/2" and it looks great, you need to mow SA at what? 4"

Mowing height, fertilization and watering habits will determine which wins.

agrostis
12-26-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't hate because you're posting in the wrong area,
I hate because you're taking the easy way out by using a short cut,
that is also the likely reason why your lawn looks like ****.

I wondered why herler posted this so i searched the original poster's name and found this. "Growth under trees" This person has not even mentioned these tree's. I think the OP is just looking for the answer HE want's, not a answer that's based in reality. The OP already has the answer, he's just wasting time. No grass is going to grow under tree's, groundcover's are the answer.

spgseth
12-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the professional advice Herler. Loosen up man, really? You don't know shi#$ about me. I just bought the house four months ago and I'm not a website forum nerd.

Thanks everyone else, your advice is much appreciated. I have enough information to execute a plan from everyone's responses so we can stop it here so I don't get anymore tuff guys life Herler replying, I can't stomach people like him, you know the kind that is about as sharp as wet sack of mice, Herl that shi$&, Thanks, Seth

spgseth
12-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Forgot about Agro the cyber stalker, you pretty dumb too, one of the large oaks was hit by lighting OCT 16 to be exact and I removed it. Plus cement trucks have rutted the yard where the bare dirt is under the trees which I filled in with topsoil but anyway, I'm off this site, don't have time to bicker with lil punks like you and Herler.