PDA

View Full Version : Spring clean up question for the pros!

H & M Yard Improvements
12-26-2012, 03:01 AM
I have a question for the seasoned pros on here about spring clean ups. When you do them, wether its a new customer or existing customer, do you include the first mow of the season into that clean up and if so, do you mark the price up on that cut by a percentage since its the first one and add it to the price of the entire clean up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
12-26-2012, 08:27 AM
It is a good idea to mow to make everything look nice. You charge based on time and materials including everything to do the job.

H & M Yard Improvements
12-26-2012, 10:37 AM
That's what I was thinking as well. I was wondering if I was the only one who did that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
12-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I do the cleanup and mow together and charge hourly. On some accounts it's just a matter of blowing a few leaves out of beds and bagging the lawn, and I might not even charge extra if that's all that's required. On others it's a pretty involved cleanup before I can even run the mower on the lawn. There are always a few customers who claim they don't need a spring cleanup. Sometimes it takes a walk-over of the lawn with them to point out why it needs a cleanup....twigs, sticks, nuts, stuck leaves.

CLS_Birmingham
12-27-2012, 12:59 AM
I do the cleanup and mow together and charge hourly. On some accounts it's just a matter of blowing a few leaves out of beds and bagging the lawn, and I might not even charge extra if that's all that's required. On others it's a pretty involved cleanup before I can even run the mower on the lawn. There are always a few customers who claim they don't need a spring cleanup. Sometimes it takes a walk-over of the lawn with them to point out why it needs a cleanup....twigs, sticks, nuts, stuck leaves.

Agreed. As a good rule of thumb, always charge some form of a "spring cleanup" fee. Unless they've been using an exisiting service who has actually done their job, there is always going to be something that needs to be done differently. Make sure to pay attention to the details, such as edges, trees that need limbing up, shrubs that leaves have been pushed into, ect.

You can also use detatching as a way to get them as a regular client. More than likely, most homeowners will never notice the thatch buildup in their yard. Pointing this out and addressing the problem could lead to a good contract client.

TPendagast
12-27-2012, 02:38 AM
Price the jobs separately.

A mow is NOT part of a spring clean up. It's a mow.

however, when SCHEDULING, you do your mow in the same visit as a spring clean up. so the first mow and the cleanup are scheduled together, but priced separately.