PDA

View Full Version : Inner filter change on donaldson air filter

weeze
12-26-2012, 01:31 PM
how often do you guys change the inner filter on your donaldson type air filters? i blow the outer one out with compressed air every 50hrs and when it gets to looking bad i replace it. the inner one however stays pretty much clean. how long do you let it go before you change it? i've had the original one on there for 2 years so far and it still looks clean. i'm just looking for a ballpark figure or for ideas about how you guys do things. thanks.

rreyn1812
12-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Depends on usage, and also, I think, on the size of the filter. On my Bob-Cat with the 20hp Kawa, I change both inner and outer once a year (smaller Donaldson), and on the John Deere with the 27hp Kawa, I change the inner maybe once every 2 years, but the outer every year.

KS_Grasscutter
12-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I have to replace my inner filters once or twice a season. For some reason they disintegrate before they get dirty enough to need replaced. I blow out the outer filters as needed, daily for the first couple weeks in the spring and the last couple months in the fall, and about once a week or twice a month during the growing season. I typically replace the outer filters once a season, unless I have to replace the inner filter, at which time I will do both at once.

weeze
12-26-2012, 02:26 PM
i have this kind. this is the only picture i could find.

http://i52.tinypic.com/263u2xl.jpg

weeze
12-26-2012, 02:29 PM
i have a new inner filter still brand new in the box but the old one still looks brand new as well.

Jimslawncareservice
12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Mine are all the same. All look brand new. Even at 1200 and 1800 hours. Deere mechanics say just to replace them yearly on heavy use and every couple on light use. Filters are cheap. So am I when they look new
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
12-26-2012, 04:53 PM
so i'll guess i'll change the inner one around every 500hrs. sounds good enough to me.

orangemower
12-27-2012, 08:54 AM
If the inner filter is still clean then you don't need to replace it. Doesn't matter if it has 5hrs or 5000hrs.

laman
12-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I change my inner filter when it is not white anymore. It starts looking kind of a light grey color. It takes a while before this happens. I usually change the outer filter year and a half to two years all depends on how dusty it is.

PLS-Tx
12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
I change my inner filter when it is not white anymore. It starts looking kind of a light grey color. It takes a while before this happens. I usually change the outer filter year and a half to two years all depends on how dusty it is.

Our inner filters are blue. Dealer told us to watch for small holes in them, when you see them it's time to change. That's what we do but they never do get dirty.

I may be changing the outer more than I need to but it gets real dusty here at times.

We do blow the outer, from the inside out, every day. Again, this is what our dealer has said we should do, been wondering if this may be overboard.

weeze
12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
yeah my inner filter is blue with clear square webbing around it. there's no holes in it. the blue part looks like felt or something similar. it's not foam or paper. i guess i'll change it if i see hole start to form lol. i only blow the outer filter out every 50hrs.

weeze
12-27-2012, 06:13 PM
here's some pics:

inner:
http://i50.tinypic.com/24wakig.jpg

outer:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ag17oz.jpg

Jimslawncareservice
12-27-2012, 06:15 PM
I have one of those in mine of course, but I have several in the same shape with a white cotton looking stuff where your blue area is
Posted via Mobile Device

laman
12-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Never seen the blue one. I have the white cotton looking one in my lawn mower.

Richard Martin
12-28-2012, 06:20 PM
The only reason for the inner filter is so dust and dirt doesn't enter the intake tract when the outer filter is serviced. If the inner filter is getting dirty then something is wrong.