PDA

View Full Version : trouble with help

dstifel
12-26-2012, 07:10 PM
I know this is more snow based but need a quick answer. Last storm we went out at midnight to start pushing snow three trucks five sidewalk guys and am additional 2 sidewalk guys at 2am. By 7 am we had no sidewalk guys left. They all took off without saying a word. Would you pay them? Two guys will get paid because I knew they had to take off for work and told them to go when they needed too. Other 5 still haven't heard from them. Thoughts?

ringahding
12-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Are you saying all work was not complete by 7a.m., and they just took off?

dstifel
12-26-2012, 08:21 PM
They left work undone.

weeze
12-26-2012, 08:43 PM
i wouldn't pay them. that's messed up.

alldayrj
12-27-2012, 12:19 AM
I would never talk to them again, let alone pay them
Posted via Mobile Device

TPendagast
12-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Well, if they come looking for the pay, legally you have to pay them for the time that they worked. However, how do you verify which hours they did work, since you don't know when they left?

If you haven't heard from them though, how would you pay them anyway?

dstifel
12-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Exactly could have left anywhere from 5-7. One of the two that actually had to work said they did work hard while there but idk. I was raised that you work until the job is done. Really pisses me off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
12-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Well, if they come looking for the pay, legally you have to pay them for the time that they worked. However, how do you verify which hours they did work, since you don't know when they left?

If you haven't heard from them though, how would you pay them anyway?

Ditto. They abondoned the job but they still have rights to collect for work performed. They just will have a hard time verifying they did the work.

Unless they they were using their own equipment and you paying them as contractors ?

Landrus2
12-27-2012, 01:19 PM
I know this is more snow based but need a quick answer. Last storm we went out at midnight to start pushing snow three trucks five sidewalk guys and am additional 2 sidewalk guys at 2am. By 7 am we had no sidewalk guys left. They all took off without saying a word. Would you pay them? Two guys will get paid because I knew they had to take off for work and told them to go when they needed too. Other 5 still haven't heard from them. Thoughts?

If they come look for they money just pay them.
You don't want to hear from they lawyer :cry:

TPendagast
12-27-2012, 02:39 PM
well you wont hear from a lawyer, it will be the department of labor.

weeze
12-27-2012, 05:36 PM
they prolly just got fed up with it and said man this isn't worth it so they went home not expecting to get paid for it.

adam.neusbaum
12-27-2012, 05:38 PM
After working as a splitter on the line at UPS for two mornings I never went back. Was truly the dumbest position to start someone. Responsible for 9 trucks, are u kidding me. Nevertheless I was shocked when I found a check in the mail, I really wasn't expecting it & felt a little guilty. Was definitely glad to have it just the same. I remember saying "Now wasn't that thoughtful". Especially after doing a No Call No Show to them.
Posted via Mobile Device

dstifel
12-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I guess if they ever get ahold of me again which i hope they do they have about as much money in my shovels and a spreader then what i owe them i will just pay up. But they will never work for me again.

weeze
12-27-2012, 06:19 PM
well you could send them a check if you knew how long they worked and if you have their info. i guess you could call them and see what happened if you have their numbers.

they kept your equipment? :O

i certainly wouldn't pay them anything then lol. i would call the cops actually and try to get it back.

adam.neusbaum
12-27-2012, 06:22 PM
With the lack of personal info we're led to believe you hired them from the local Salvation Army.
Posted via Mobile Device

dstifel
12-27-2012, 06:29 PM
actaully all "friends" from school keep in mind I'm only 21. I know i will get the equipment back not worried about that one bit. One of them actually got ahold of me just minutes ago because its supposed to snow tonight to see if i needed help again? That takes some balls.

Patriot Services
12-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I think it speaks volumes for the lack of work ethic today. Everybody wants to work on their terms. Its doing manual labor when its 29 or 109 outside that seperates the boys. People can't even quit a job without integrity these days. Pay rate has little to do with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

dstifel
12-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Yea i couldn't believe it. I know I'm young and younger to the industry but i could never imagine leaving someone high and dry like that and I've worked in some shitty conditions doing all kinds of things i didn't want to do but the bottom line is i said i would do something so i did it. Yea i was paying them 15$ an hour using my equipment alls they needed was themselves and warm clothes apparently that is to much to ask?

Darryl G
12-27-2012, 07:15 PM
If they turned in a time sheet that I felt was accurate and retured all equipment I'd pay them. I used to all but throw money at shovelers to get them to work but my route has changed since then and my sons are old enough to help as needed, so I don't really need outside help anymore.

ringahding
12-27-2012, 07:48 PM
No hiring of these cats again & sadly I would pay them

Roger
12-27-2012, 09:49 PM
I think it speaks volumes for the lack of work ethic today. Everybody wants to work on their terms. Its doing manual labor when its 29 or 109 outside that seperates the boys. People can't even quit a job without integrity these days. Pay rate has little to do with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

This ^^^^^^^^

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Spend the money on a decent snow blower, I use Honda's but I don't expect everyone to pay that kind of money for new machines, several used ones for sale at half price in great shape in my area.

If they give you crap, all you have to say is that nobody gets paid until all shovels and spreaders are returned. As far as legalities are concerned, they stole your equipment.

I definitely take the route of hiring on good guy to run a snow blower and maybe even have a second guy to take over the shift part way through.

-Michael

Darryl G
12-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah...great idea. I'm sure a guy with enough work for 3 plow trucks and 7 guys on his sidewalk crew never thought to get a snowblower ;)

dstifel
12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Haha two stage 2s and a single stage. Never thought of running two shifts though could be a good idea will consider this.
Posted via Mobile Device