PDA

View Full Version : Ferris IS3100 throwing deck drive belts

TPendagast
12-27-2012, 03:19 AM
Anyone know anything about the Ferris IS 3100Z?

Mine keeps throwing the belt drive from the main pulley to the blades on the deck.

By my eye I cant see any pulleys that are bent or out of alignment, I have bought new belts and it doesnt help.

I see no adjustments I havent tried.

The owners manual might as well have been written by a 5 year old with ADD.

I'm THINKING it might be the fact that the deck is maladjusted on the chains, make it's angle too steep... but again, by my eye i cant see anything that sticks out.

johnsonslawnmanagement
12-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Mine did that for the first 10 hrs. My dealer replaced the pulley at the back of the deck that directs the belt towards the motor to a larger one. Never slipped off again.
Posted via Mobile Device

kymowboy
12-27-2012, 09:46 AM
What Mr. Johnson said.
A friend had a Ferris painted Simplicity orange that kept throwing deck belts. After several trips to the local dealer didn't help, he called the factory in New York and found out about a wider idler pulley to fix the problem. Dealer installed it and no more thrown belts.

TPendagast
12-27-2012, 02:10 PM
A HAH... Im in alaska...NO dealer. But Im sure I can get that pulley... much thanks

PLS-Tx
12-27-2012, 03:17 PM
We had only changed the belt on our 3100 a couple of times in over 700 hrs.

Our 2000 is a different story, lots of belts on that one.

Our problem was gum balls, off sweet gum trees, getting between the belt and pulley.

We called Ferris and were told they make a "belt keep kit". They gave us the part #, had our dealer order one for each ztr, solved our problem.

TPendagast
12-27-2012, 03:38 PM
a belt keep kit huh?

My experiences with the factory have been awful.

1) they treat you like you have no idea what going on

2) you get the sense they don't want anything to do with you.

3) there is just a general distain for you, like you are bothering them

The dealer however is great, but I get the sense they are new, or don't sell that many, so they don't know everything.

I have three Evolutions (a 52, a 48 and a 36) of them all the 36" is the fastest machine (which doesnt make any sense it has smaller motors, pumps and tires) the one Is3100z we have we call the "Fat Lady on a water bed"
It's slow, rolls around almost uncontrollably and you feel like you are just riding waves all the time.

Anyone have that fat drunk feeling on one of those? Or any issues with weird speed variances in models?

PLS-Tx
12-27-2012, 06:54 PM
I didn't get that feeling from the factory at all & I have called a few times.
Posted via Mobile Device

TPendagast
12-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Our biggest problem is no dealers in this state.

Scag dealer is horrible, so is the john deere dealer.

The toro dealer and the gravely dealer are "I can order anything you want" kind of dealer, with no showroom machines, no demos and no dedicated mechanics/techs.

We went with Ferris because they guy in Minnesota treats us good, as we have gotten heavy equipment from him, and he can order anything we want just as fast as the guys in this state can.

I don't understand running a dealership with no inventory, thats weird, but it's alaska....

I spent a summer with the factory through email and phone calls, the machines we had were not running liek they should (and still dont)

pugs
12-28-2012, 06:35 PM
How new is the machine? What color are the belts you are having problems with? There have been some issues with some of the belts. I would have to look back through my notes from the dealer meeting a couple months ago to find the info. Something about the cords not being evenly spaced inside the belt causing it to roll off easier and also break easier. I believe this was only a problem for the newer ICD deck belts.

Might be something to ask your dealer to look into for you.

aroddy
12-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

TPendagast
12-29-2012, 09:24 PM
how fast do you guys go on your machines? mine seem to be lazy dogs. I recall other brands going much faster, as in holy hanna this is fast. These are like home owner lawn tractor speed, what gives? IS there something to adjust or the "real deal" switch i cant find?

aroddy
12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
I have sold several 3100s in the past 3 years and the best updrade possible is going to a OMNI belt from ferris. Its a German made belt and on every single unit (15+) I've put them on. I have 0 problems PERIOD! It does cost more than the stock belt but it will last well over 750 hrs. I only stock omni for my ferris and snapper pro mowers. But the deep v idler also saves a lot of problems
Posted via Mobile Device

zt4me
06-09-2013, 08:22 AM
My 2010 Ferris IS3100z with 61" icd deck has 75 hours and threw belt at least 5 different times before belt finally broke yesterday. Checked idler spring tension length each time after reinstalling belt...it was correct. Would happen on first engagement at highest mower setting.... except for when belt broke...was just mowing.

Called dealer and there is a 3 week backlog for warranty work.They service alot different brands.
He further informed me the belt would not be covered under warranty so I could purchase the belt to keep mowing.
They would put me on list to look at mower and call me in 3 weeks for problem that MIGHT be covered under warranty.. I believe a mower belt should last more than 75 hours.

Really cant wait 3 weeks ...not going to purchase belt and take chance of weakening or compromising belt integrity because back pulley may be the culprit?

The mower has been great except for this glitch.

Any suggestions would be apprciated!

Aroddy could you please provide part number for Omni belt and larger idler pulley?
Need to order from you or someone?

Thank you

aroddy
06-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Sorry for such a late reply on this. I'm actually going in to the store today. I can get you the omni # no problem. Send me your model and serial and ill check into a couple other things that will help out. 3 weeks is a long time to wait for warranty work. That guy must have a super dealership or something lol. What is the date of purchase?
Posted via Mobile Device

zt4me
06-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks for replying!

Well don't know about super dealership ;)
They are the only dealer for approx 60 miles and has all the contractors maintenance....I guess?

I purchased the brand new..still in crate left over Ferris 2010 in April of 2012.
Currently have 75 hours.

Thanks for all your help!

aroddy
06-10-2013, 01:38 PM
No model & serial?

aroddy
06-10-2013, 01:39 PM
The omni belt is #5103670

zt4me
06-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks for p# of belt..where would i buy from?

Also I pm you the Ferris info.

Did you get it?

zt4me
06-10-2013, 03:26 PM
I can find 5103870..but nothing on 5103670

Please advise

zt4me
06-11-2013, 10:55 AM
aroddy you there?
Did you ever see the personal messages I sent referencing my mower?
I imagine this is your busy time of year also.

Took some time but did I find the belt 5103670 on ESP website.
Trying to figure out the new deep V idler pulley part number?

Thank you very much for your time, hope everything is OK.

Michael

YardApeMike
06-20-2013, 03:08 PM
We have 3 new (4/1/13) Ferris 3100Z, 61" 38hp. Belts have been replaced 2 & 3 times each: #1-39,139 hrs; #2-24,68,120 hrs; #3-10,24,138 hrs. First to fail was factory. I found a v-belt supplier on the internet whose belts last 4x longer and cost about $15 each. My local dealer is new to Ferris and top notch. but the factory is very slow to ship parts. I will ask about the keep kit.

aroddy
06-22-2013, 04:37 PM
aroddy you there?
Did you ever see the personal messages I sent referencing my mower?
I imagine this is your busy time of year also.

Took some time but did I find the belt 5103670 on ESP website.
Trying to figure out the new deep V idler pulley part number?

Thank you very much for your time, hope everything is OK.

Michael
Posted via Mobile Device

aroddy
06-22-2013, 04:43 PM
The 5103870 is the new # for the 5103670....I just figured that out last week lol. But the deep v idler is a 5102678. Try that and see what you can get out of it. If your dealer can't help you just message me and I'll ship the stuff to you
Posted via Mobile Device

YardApeMike
06-24-2013, 11:47 AM
The parts list for my machines (SN 2016417771,2,3) shows the deep v idler as PN 5102678. I assume that is what I have. But it is a flat tread pulley, running on the back of the belt. What should it look like? I do not see 5103870 in the parts list for the 61" ICD deck.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Yard Ape what did you find out I have an older 3100 with a 61 deck and I am getting ready to change the idler pulleys and deck belt. my idler pulleys are also flat.

YardApeMike
08-02-2013, 12:03 PM
My dealer got me a "belt keeper kit" & kevlar belts under warranty. The kit is a bar installed on top of the tension idler pulley. The bar holds a post to keep the belt from riding up and out the pulley edges. The kevlar belt is pn 5103870. Waiting to see how long it lasts.

greenology
08-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I realise this is an older thread and not the same topic but oh well. Im wondering if any of you 3100z owners have cut with your deck at 2 1/4" & lower? When Im cutting with the deck this low, theres some kind of metallic noise coming from the top of deck area. Maybe a pulley is slightly touching something, I haven't had a close look yet. Just wondered if anyone else has heard this, although Im assuming you guys don't cut this low anyway.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
08-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Might check your idler pulley's I know I have replaced them twice so far.

YardApeMike
08-05-2013, 11:08 AM
We have a 1500Z with a 52" deck. We bag so the factory recommended we raise the chassis to max (and stiffen the springs). Blade belt would be thrown every day!! And chewed up to boot!! I could see a steep angle from the engine pulley to the tension idler. I installed a 1/2" spacer under the belt tension arm. Solved the problem. We mow at 3 or 3-1/2" so lowering your deck would have the same effect. The noise could be the belt riding to the top of the pulley and trying to climb over the flange. Then the momentarily loose belt slaps the pulley tread.