PDA

View Full Version : 1 Awesome Boss + 1 Stupid Boss = What would you do?

elitelawnteam1
12-29-2012, 07:03 PM
I work for a company who has 2 owners, one is really cool, (the guy who actually started the company) easy to get along with, and is quite reasonable, and the other owner joined later on and is really stupid and an ******* (I'll get to details in a moment). I love my job, but I'm getting to the point where I'm just sick of this guy. And the nice owner complains about the guy a LOT.

So I ask: Would you stay with this company because of the nice boss? or leave and quit putting up with the other bitchy owner?

When the cool boss makes a decision, if the bitchy boss doesn't like it, he over-rides it.
Like whenever I talk to him, or ask him something, he uses an arrogant tone, and tries to make it seem like he's/his possessions "better" than everyone else, calls me his ***** on a regular basis behind my back (the cool boss tells me about it), makes fun of me. He will never admit he's wrong, even when it's blatantly obvious. And once, he moved my truck, and hit a plow, denting the bumper, the cool boss told me about it, because the bitchy owner said to keep it a secret. I called him on the phone with the cool boss next to me as the bastard said "If I ever hit anything and messed up your truck, I would tell you about it."

gallihergreen
12-29-2012, 07:06 PM
I hope you went to the authorities when he damaged your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
12-29-2012, 07:08 PM
This is the reason I don't work for others. I hate to say it but you may need to look elsewhere next spring.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Tell him that you respect him as a person(even though you don't) but you disagree with all of his business decisions and only take orders from the cool owner. Also ask the cool owner if he would consider buying out the other owner, or if you want to and can afford it, it may be a great idea to jump ahead in the business.

-Michael

I hope your bumper isn't dented too bad, only family is allowed to sit in my driver's seat.

elitelawnteam1
12-29-2012, 08:58 PM
I hope you went to the authorities when he damaged your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just found out a few days ago. I'm still trying to get him to just admit he did it. He has no idea that my nice boss told me already.

I want him to just pay to fix it. I don't want to bring the cops involved

Exmarkboy13
12-29-2012, 10:28 PM
get the hell out of there...

RodneyK
12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Was in the same boat and held on for years. It was a waste of my life. Either the cool owner buys him out or you should leave.

Monroe74
12-29-2012, 10:42 PM
I would leave. That place is going no where.

Smallaxe
12-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Tell him that you respect him as a person(even though you don't) but you disagree with all of his business decisions ...

Coddling the feelings of others so as NOT to offend their self-esteem and other politically correct foolishness is the very reason this "Bad Boss" exists...

The ONLY bad boss I had to tolerate was the Marine Corps soldiers who outranked me, but that was only until I got them accountable for being jerks... Very few jerks in the Marine Corps when I was there,,, who knows how that turned out in this generation...

My point is: Don't be afraid to call a Spade a Spade!!! Man up,,, this culture a little bit and maybe these little beaches, may grow to be something more along the lines of a wise human someday...
As long as we play brown-nose with jerks, we will always encorage these jerks to continue being jerks,,, and you will be nothing more than a boot-licker yourself...

inzane
12-30-2012, 07:48 AM
i'd look for another job, it doesn't sound like its worth the headache. i would have gotten the police involved at the moment i heard about the incident. i wouldn't wait on that. but thats just me...

I work for a company who has 2 owners, one is really cool, (the guy who actually started the company) easy to get along with, and is quite reasonable, and the other owner joined later on and is really stupid and an ******* (I'll get to details in a moment). I love my job, but I'm getting to the point where I'm just sick of this guy. And the nice owner complains about the guy a LOT.

So I ask: Would you stay with this company because of the nice boss? or leave and quit putting up with the other bitchy owner?

When the cool boss makes a decision, if the bitchy boss doesn't like it, he over-rides it.
Like whenever I talk to him, or ask him something, he uses an arrogant tone, and tries to make it seem like he's/his possessions "better" than everyone else, calls me his ***** on a regular basis behind my back (the cool boss tells me about it), makes fun of me. He will never admit he's wrong, even when it's blatantly obvious. And once, he moved my truck, and hit a plow, denting the bumper, the cool boss told me about it, because the bitchy owner said to keep it a secret. I called him on the phone with the cool boss next to me as the bastard said "If I ever hit anything and messed up your truck, I would tell you about it."

Smallaxe
12-30-2012, 07:52 AM
... And once, he moved my truck, and hit a plow, denting the bumper, the cool boss told me about it, because the bitchy owner said to keep it a secret. I called him on the phone with the cool boss next to me as the bastard said "If I ever hit anything and messed up your truck, I would tell you about it."

You left your keys in your truck? or you handed your keys over to someone else?
I wouldn't "wait " for him to confess, I would make the truth known as soon as possible... being a "Good Person" does not mean being a fool that plays nicey nicey with a jerk, by hoping he makes some "better choices"...

I really don't mean to come off so strongly about this whole new concept in the culture of what it takes to be a "Good Person", but it really is just sickening and the consequences are so clear and ugly... :)

Toro 455
12-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Good guy/bad guy. It's a game the two of them are playing squeezing you in the middle.
The "Bad boss" wouldn't exist if it wasn't OK with the "Good boss"

Tell the good boss to get the A-hole off your back or you are out of there. Make your problem his problem.

RussellB
12-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Toro is correct^^^^. Additionally if the good boss is as good as you say, why didn't he confront the bad boss when he damaged your truck. You already know the answer to your question.....look for another job. Neither one of them are worth it. Good luck

adam.neusbaum
12-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Steal everything in the night,, & then if you are ever confronted I'd say : "If I ever stole anything and messed up your business, I would tell you about it.". Sound familiar? lol.

ELS Landscape
12-30-2012, 12:27 PM
The two owners need to get into sync for sure. One needs to be the manager or they need to come to a consensus before setting policy.

The cool boss took on the new guy for a reason. Maybe you need to sit down with him.

Partnerships are a pain in the rear and often fail. The question is will the cool boss let it take the company down too.

adam.neusbaum
12-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Partnerships definitely have a huge appeal but as stated rarely work. I have a good friend that is super business smart, rather than mixing things up I just run questions & ideas past him then drop a gift-card or over-pay whenever he does some work for me. Showing a little appreciation goes a long way. Oftentimes we'll overlook recompensing our knowledgeable family & friends yet their the first ones we tell how successful something has been.

Sean Adams
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm a little confused...

The guy who started the business (good boss) seems to take a back-seat to the bad boss. Are they equal partners?

If the "good boss" is telling you things privately and also complaining about the "bad boss", it almost sounds like he has less power/ownership than the other guy.

elitelawnteam1
12-30-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm a little confused...

The guy who started the business (good boss) seems to take a back-seat to the bad boss. Are they equal partners?

If the "good boss" is telling you things privately and also complaining about the "bad boss", it almost sounds like he has less power/ownership than the other guy.

They are equal partners on paper, but in real life, it most certainly isn't the case. He thinks he has more power, tells the good boss he keeps him "on a short leash" when it comes to company finances and spending. He manages all the finances, and that is why I think the bad boss thinks that it must give him more power over his business partner.

ELS Landscape
12-30-2012, 07:21 PM
The good boss must of needed some money and did not manage it well or else he would not have needed a partner.

ztman
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Legit businesses dont act that way, go get another job and let the circus monkeys fight amongst themselves

Sean Adams
12-30-2012, 07:28 PM
I agree with ELS.... only other thing I can think of is the "good boss" is more of a weasel than you realize and he likes playing both sides of the fence.

Either way, why not sit down with both of them and confront them? Explain your issues and even put the "good boss" on the spot.... Then you will quickly realize who actually and truly has the power and if it is the "bad boss" it may be time to start your own business again or find another job.

Greg78
12-30-2012, 07:36 PM
From reading the website it seems they both started the company together and are now co-owners? Sounds like they both have issues and I don't see the good boss as a good boss if he lets this stuff fly.

I've been in 3 (partnerships) and still am in a partnership and myself nor my partner would act they way these two do. We might have our disagreements but never in front of anyone and I back my partner 100% as does he me.

I am a very straightforward guy and don't play games with people so I would want to meet with both of them and lay it all out.

CL&T
12-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Sounds like the "good boss" is as much a wuss as you and won't man-up and confront this guy. If you confront him what's he going to do fire you? If he does would the "good boss" back him up or you?

elitelawnteam1
12-30-2012, 08:16 PM
We're not wusses, the good boss has backed me up before. the good boss has confronted him. It usually ends up that the bad boss bawls his eyeballs out "[good boss's name] you're my best friend, I don't want anything to come between us" and at that point you can't effectively communicate with him. That's probably his way of dodging questions.

As far as quitting, I need a new place to work then, and I don't have that lined up.

zak406
12-30-2012, 08:29 PM
First I would walk up to him and beat his ass for talking behind your back, then I would quit and go elsewere! Life is far to short to deal with ass holes like this guy. Not to mention it sounds like people like him run businesses in the ground, sooner or later you will be looking for a job because of it.

ztman
12-30-2012, 09:52 PM
We're not wusses, the good boss has backed me up before. the good boss has confronted him. It usually ends up that the bad boss bawls his eyeballs out "[good boss's name] you're my best friend, I don't want anything to come between us" and at that point you can't effectively communicate with him. That's probably his way of dodging questions.

As far as quitting, I need a new place to work then, and I don't have that lined up.

Bawls his eyes out? You work in a nut house.

CL&T
12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Bawls his eyes out? You work in a nut house.

Wow. Those two sound like husband and wife. :cry:

Toro 455
12-31-2012, 09:35 AM
I've had your problem, maybe even a little worse. It was a company where everybody in management thought they were my boss. And they each had their own agenda.
When someone would demand additional services I'd respond with "Are you authorizing the added charges?"
That would start a confrontation about what my duties were.
It would end when I would put into the conversation "Who do I work for?"

You can only work for one person at a time.

That's why I don't go after HOA's cemetaries etc. or anything where I'd have to report to a "board of directors". They have to have one person with the authority to hire or fire me or I'm not interested.

CL&T
12-31-2012, 10:56 AM
It would end when I would put into the conversation "Who do I work for?"

My line is "I don't see your name on my check".

weeze
01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
why not just talk with the original owner and you become the other owner and get rid of the stupid guy?

i was in a similar situation at a job at a glass company. the job was great until the owner hired a guy like you talk about. he just made the job miserable and tense instead of being easy going like it had been. long story short i ended up walking off the job one day because i couldn't take it anymore. i just drove the work truck back to the shop and got in my truck and went home.

the "cool" owner needs to be cool and fire the stupid guy. if he doesn't then he's not "cool" anymore. i'd tell him you have one choice. me or the stupid guy. one of us is going.

Greg78
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
So what did you do? Still working for them? Did you get them to pay for your truck repair?

Ticolawnllc
02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
I try and be nice but nice only gets you so far. I have a partner. He is the nice guy. He is also the guy that ran the company into the ground. Disorganized as all hell but everyone likes him because he lets them get away with what ever they want.

I'm the bad guy. I make the guys keep up with the weeding. I make sure the equipment is not abused. I make sure the customers get what they pay for and not a penny less or a penny more.

Every one loves him and they hate me. Some times I want to sell my equipment and leave altogether and let them go under. Now that the economy is picking up they think they don't need me any more and they made a move to cut me out.

A two weeks into it all the equipment started to break down and I stopped doing estimates. I told my partner to do the estimates.

Now they he and his assistant are talking about leaving. I go ahead. I managed this company without their help during the hardest times and I can manage it with out them again if I have to.

RodneyK
02-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Tico, sorry to hear what u are gong thru. Been there, best advice is to get out on ur own as soon as possible.

Ticolawnllc
02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
I've lived in this county since I was 6. Now I'm 32 and I still don't have papers. In fact I'm the last in my family. Some times I think my family isn't helping me so I have to keep working for them. As soon as I can get a state license I can get my truck insured with state plates i'm on my own.

elitelawnteam1
02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
So what did you do? Still working for them? Did you get them to pay for your truck repair?

Yes he did pay to get it repaired. I met with both my bosses and me and the "cool boss" talked to the other owner. He apologized to both of us, and said he could & will do better. It's been about 2 weeks and so far everything seems okay. I'm going to hold out until spring and see how things go. Even with nearly 7 years of being in this business, I think it would be a hard to get a job somewhere else since I do not have a high school diploma, though I am working on my GED, this job is pretty secure right now, they're already working on getting my routes ready for this year. But like I said, I'll see how things go.

adam.neusbaum
02-01-2013, 12:22 PM
High School Diplomas mean absolutely nothing. First my older brother dropped out in his Junior year because he had 50+ residential account contracts already. After that I'm stuck on the school bus when we meet him at an intersection pulling his 6'x16' dual axle trailer with a Woods Hydro walkbehind, a 150 series Gravely ZTR & all the other expensive yet paid for necessary equipment. Friends were staring out the bus windows saying: Man, he's got it together as if to say- What are we doing still going to school? The difference being Matt was always a hard worker & an excellent saver from 12 on.
Next, an friend Matts age dropped out & then myself. Interestingly enough the ones that graduated are those we hire to work our businesses. Its all about motivation, drive & a longterm vision that makes anybody a somebody.
Posted via Mobile Device