PDA

View Full Version : what type of weed kill are you using?

pacifichedge
12-30-2012, 02:25 AM
is there a type of weed kill you are using to kill those nasty weeds and crap grass, what is it ( name/brand ) or do you make it yourself ( how do you make it) ? :canadaflag:

Smallaxe
12-30-2012, 04:28 AM
My best advice to the Prohibition Zones would be... First focus on growing grass, then deal with weed issues once you've accomplished a mature stand of turf...

Before herbicides became such an issue, people had deep strong roots with a few tenacious weeds like dandelions, and really no issues with CG, ever... CG was popping up along the snowplow damaged and 'salted' areas that never recovered, but no one I remember ever had CG any more than they had sandburs...

I know there are people out there that will mock this notion,,, but there is a need to think seriously about building a mature stand of turf,,, or do the Black Market 'cides Thing, as your post suggests... :)

RigglePLC
12-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Iron and related commercial iron chelate herbicides work fair on dandelions. And hand pulling of weeds works if you don't mind the back-breaking labor. However, you might want to try a denser type of grass. Sod, if possible, if not...then repeated overseed following aeration. You need an athletic type of Kentucky bluegrass. A dense, highly rhizomatous cultivar would be more weed resistant.
A dense cultivar like Langara would be a good choice.
http://pickseed.com/WCanada/proTurf/varieties/docs/langara_ts.pdf

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Trouble is, most customers don't want to pony up to maintain their lawns to the level they should.
It would cost them a bunch.
Most say 'just get the weeds out thats all I care'. No matter if you try explaining proper turf mgmt to them or not.

Smallaxe
01-19-2013, 07:30 AM
It is easy for us to do,,, we can use 2,4d, glyphosate, and various other herbicides...

We're talking about,,, How does Canada get a nice lawn when all these things are banned???

That's the issue... :)