PDA

View Full Version : Stripes Are For Zebras

FastMan
12-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Do you personally like them? Some of my customers do. Others detest their lawn looking like a checker board. They want the look of a sprawling and solid palette of green. They think it less busy, and more relaxing and pleasing to look at.

What are your personal feelings on it, and what do your customers prefer?

lawnkingforever
12-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Hate the look of striping. The worst eyesore created around here is when for the final mow of the season the deck is dropped much too low along with striping.
Posted via Mobile Device

LandFakers
12-31-2012, 07:11 AM
I personally like it, but don't strive for it. It just happens

GMLC
12-31-2012, 07:12 AM
In some grasses you have no choice but to stripe. On our northern grasses you can see every move made by the mower. So picture what mowing in circles or just random lines across a lawn would look like!
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
12-31-2012, 07:14 AM
I like striping. Some of my customers prefer it but most don't care one way or the other. Here's my lawn last spring.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=242991&stc=1&d=1332148542

Florida Gardener
12-31-2012, 07:35 AM
No such thing as striping in Florida and people don't ask for it. It's like bagging and Buddha, doesn't exist.
Posted via Mobile Device

LandFakers
12-31-2012, 07:47 AM
It just happens when we mow, but I do think it looks nice
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o592/Honda-Man-610/079faa47.jpg

exmark user
12-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Live for them

Blades Lawn Maintenance
12-31-2012, 12:48 PM
I like striping. Some of my customers prefer it but most don't care one way or the other. Here's my lawn last spring.

This is why I like it. If you look at all the other yards in that picture it makes Richard's yard stand out.

Down here it's rare to see people stripe mainly b/c the grass. I like stripes because it makes the yard stand out and make it unique.

whiffyspark
12-31-2012, 12:57 PM
How did you keep the line straight around the flag pole? I would have a circle there unless it isn't visible from this angle.

We have to stripe
Posted via Mobile Device

Groomer
12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Stripes are for tigers,too.

HPI_Savage25
12-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Heck I wanna know how y'all keep those lines as straight as they are!?!?
Posted via Mobile Device

zechstoker
12-31-2012, 03:14 PM
I've only seen a total of 2 lawns striped out this way. One was a soccer field, and the other was a dairy. Aside from that, this practice is non-existent around here. I think our lawns are too small for striping anyways. IMO, it'd just look goofy if lawns here were striped.

yardguy28
12-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Do you personally like them? Some of my customers do. Others detest their lawn looking like a checker board. They want the look of a sprawling and solid palette of green. They think it less busy, and more relaxing and pleasing to look at.

personally I stripe each and every lawn to the best of my mowers capability.

as for the clients. no one has ever said a work either way. it's not something that's asked and there really isn't an option as far as I'm concerned.

my mower is set up to stripe and I'm not gonna change it because half a dozen clients don't want those stripes.

but I do feel some spend too much time on stripping. like the guys who have there lines going straight through a flag pole or tree. I know how it's done and I'm not gonna waste my time going back over rows just so the circle isn't seen.

FastMan
12-31-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm betting Martin takes the flag pole out before he mows.

Either that, or he's photoshopped it in the picture. ;)

SRT8
12-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Im guessing the flag pole is his starting point, so the mower goes right next to it on the first pass and and the other side on the second pass
Posted via Mobile Device

LandFakers
12-31-2012, 04:31 PM
It's pretty simple how they are all straight aroun the pole. You try to make a pass where the edge of the deck skims the pole(ie: go to the left of the pole, right side of deck towards pole) and then turn to the right at the end of the row, come back down and keep going straight until you hit the pole, back up a bit then hug the pole with the right side of the deck. Then go to the end of that row and turn left, come back and pretend like there is no bump-out where you had to go around, just keep Going straight
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
12-31-2012, 04:37 PM
How did you keep the line straight around the flag pole? I would have a circle there unless it isn't visible from this angle.

I remove the flagpole. But then, that doesn't explain why there's no circle around the far tree does it? Hmmm

Heck I wanna know how y'all keep those lines as straight as they are!?!?

You have to steer where you want to go and not watch where you're going. It doesn't make sense unless you try it.

LawnMan19
12-31-2012, 05:08 PM
I like stripes, and my customers love them.

locallawncare.ca
12-31-2012, 10:11 PM
he just knows how to mow and takes pride in a job well done, its pretty simple, its not just about the grass you cut, but the lines you make along the way. The mower stripes regardless so you might as well make it look nice instead of just doing a zamboni, where one half is light and the other is dark with sqiuggles for tire tracks, just my thoughts.

yardguy28
01-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Im guessing the flag pole is his starting point, so the mower goes right next to it on the first pass and and the other side on the second pass
Posted via Mobile Device

I would never start in the middle of a lawn.

when doing vertical or horizontal I start at the end and use the driveway or sidewalk for reference. when doing diagonal I still start at the far left or far right and work my way across.

but I also don't worry about making my stripes look like they went through the flag pole or tree. you will always see the pass around a tree or light post on my properties.

Richard Martin
01-01-2013, 05:40 AM

This is how I do it.

It's pretty simple how they are all straight aroun the pole. You try to make a pass where the edge of the deck skims the pole(ie: go to the left of the pole, right side of deck towards pole) and then turn to the right at the end of the row, come back down and keep going straight until you hit the pole, back up a bit then hug the pole with the right side of the deck. Then go to the end of that row and turn left, come back and pretend like there is no bump-out where you had to go around, just keep Going straight

You have it correct except you never pass something with the discharge side of the deck. The left side of the deck is towards the pole.

Fwilamosky
01-01-2013, 11:49 AM
i prefer stripes because i feel it makes a yard appear more professional

weeze
01-01-2013, 12:46 PM
we have no stripes on southern grasses.

i was wondering why richard's yard is the only one that has stripes? all the yards here look like his neighbor's yards. lol

i think that flagpole ruins a good football field the kids in the neighborhood could use. lol

LandFakers
01-01-2013, 12:50 PM
This is how I do it.

You have it correct except you never pass something with the discharge side of the deck. The left side of the deck is towards the pole.
I was just trying to give people an idea so I wasnt really thinking about it, but yes you are right. Thanks for pointing that out

Richard Martin
01-01-2013, 02:02 PM
we have no stripes on southern grasses.

i was wondering why richard's yard is the only one that has stripes? all the yards here look like his neighbor's yards. lol

i think that flagpole ruins a good football field the kids in the neighborhood could use. lol

Check out my website, the majority of those stripe pics were taken on warm season grasses like Bahia and Centipede.

My yard is the only green one because I'm the only person that doesn't care for the look of dead grass for 6 months out of the year. It's overseeded with a mix of annual rye and tall fescue.

The kids in the neighborhood have their own large front yards to play in. All of the lawns on my street are large.

Ridin' Green
01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Your yard looks awesome, and you obviously take great care of it. The stripes make it even nicer. I try to make my yard look the same. If I caught the neighbor kids playing on it.........:gunsfirin

I can understand why people in areas with grass that doesn't stripe easily or well wouldn't worry about them or care one way or the other, but I really don't see how anyone who lives in an area where it isn't that hard to get them to show, can honestly say they don't like the looks of nicely laid stripes. Without them there's nothing but cut grass laying in different directions, or half light, half dark shades if they mow in a round and round fashion. Stripes also help to hide the tire marks along their edges.

lawncuttinfoo
01-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Stop confusing him by saying you need to mow this way then that way and back this way but not that way; just tell him the truth.

Those of us with "perfect stripes" that appear to go through things, we all modify our mowers so the deck separates down the middle and we can go on both sides of the tree, pole, etc.

Good luck trying to get plans though, would be easier to get a magician to give up his secrets! Maybe FOX will do a "secrets of striping" show one day. :)

weeze
01-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Check out my website, the majority of those stripe pics were taken on warm season grasses like Bahia and Centipede.

My yard is the only green one because I'm the only person that doesn't care for the look of dead grass for 6 months out of the year. It's overseeded with a mix of annual rye and tall fescue.

The kids in the neighborhood have their own large front yards to play in. All of the lawns on my street are large.

do you have a striping kit? i cut centipede and it doesn't stripe at all here.

noone here cares much about their yards. they prefer they go dormant so they don't have to pay for lawncare or cut it themselves. :laugh:

i was saying your yard looked like a football field which is a compliment. :clapping:

i always cut back and forth in straight lines but the stripes never show. just tire marks which only last a few days and then disappear.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2dvva02.jpg

Blades Lawn Maintenance
01-01-2013, 03:28 PM
WELL down where I'm at I can stripe my yards for example.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg565/rheamsja/1f0b95150da46803da14c260ef712cea.jpg

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg565/rheamsja/0684b7ce.jpg

Richard Martin
01-01-2013, 05:34 PM
do you have a striping kit? i cut centipede and it doesn't stripe at all here.

noone here cares much about their yards. they prefer they go dormant so they don't have to pay for lawncare or cut it themselves. :laugh:

i was saying your yard looked like a football field which is a compliment. :clapping:

i always cut back and forth in straight lines but the stripes never show. just tire marks which only last a few days and then disappear.

I use a Big League Lawns roller. Here's a Centipede lawn that I used to do. It would hold the stripes until the next time I cut the grass. The lawn gets a little thin over towards the right side so the stripes aren't as well pronounced there.

Patriot Services
01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
No such thing as striping in Florida and people don't ask for it. It's like bagging and Buddha, doesn't exist.
Posted via Mobile Device

Now you know we can stripe Bermuda or Zoysia if the customer pays the REEL price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
01-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Now you know we can stripe Bermuda or Zoysia if the customer pays the REEL price.
Posted via Mobile Device

For sure, but if we start talking about that, the walker zombies are going to come out of the woodwork.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMan19
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM
i prefer stripes because i feel it makes a yard appear more professional

Yeah, anyone can just cut in circles.

weeze
01-02-2013, 07:19 PM
you can cut striaght lines without making stripes lol....it is possible....i do it all the time.

meets1
01-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Love it. Sets you apart from others that have no clue.

ddixon7
01-02-2013, 11:55 PM
When you go in the same tracks in certain types of grass it lays the grass over and causes ruts in the turf. I could take a rake to a lot of guys yards and rake up 2 feet of uncut grass. I usually go all different sets of tracks or sometimes opposite tracks (head down a green stripe not a white stripe) to stand the grass up. It just depends on the yard and type of grass. There is all different types of grass in this country. But the people around here are fascinated with destroying lawns by going in the same tracks for years and years. When I get these yards they are rougher that heck.

locallawncare.ca
01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
I agree changing directions and switching the patteren from light to dark is a must, sometimes its a pain if the yard is rectangular and you have to go the short way across, but it all works out in the end, may take 10-15% longer and same with diagnoal, I also try to offset the lines, so they tires aren't in the same spot week to week, found that all this stuff helps but sometimes rutting is inevitable. Im not sure how to cut without striping, the mower just kinda does it, not all mowers but most to some extent. Also wondering what height you all cut at, the longer the cut the more visible the stripes usually are, I know it varies with different kinds of turf.

yardguy28
01-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I have 4 patterns I use on almost all my lawns.

horizontal, vertical and 2 diagonals.

never thought about alternating the light/dark stripes. might have to try that this season.

locallawncare.ca
01-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Wont help rutting but is better for the grass so it isn't always laying the same way. I also like the people that mentioned a pure green lawn(sea of green) buts its almost imposible not to leave some kind of lines from the tires, but offsetting helps a lot, sometimes you can feel where the ruts are, but they aren't always visible, to the untrained eye.

yardguy28
01-03-2013, 06:56 PM
personally I like the striped look better. guys in my neck of the woods tend to mow the same way all the time to get the most pronounced stripes.

I prefer to alternate patterns because as you said the grass stands up straighter. and it will aid in rutting. there might be shallow ruts that can't be seen with the naked eye but not the deep ruts you get with mowing the same direction week after week after week.

Groomer
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
I alternate stripes-look close, you'll see 3 different patterns.

yardguy28
01-03-2013, 10:47 PM
why not the 4th pattern?

locallawncare.ca
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Nice pic, that place looks sharp, I love the ones where you can roll off the edge, so the lines go right to the end(no always possible), nice trimming on the edges too, keep it up. I love the look of alternating lines, like yours when they are still partially visible from before. I like making parrallelagrams, where you go up and down/side to side and then on a diagonal, not a checkerbord or diamond, its a liitle different, but every house looks better a certian way, and what works on one way not work on another.

Richard Martin
01-04-2013, 10:55 AM
I alternate stripes-look close, you'll see 3 different patterns.

If you look closely at my first pic you can see where I had run up and down the lawn previously. I am careful about not rutting lawns too, even my own.

Groomer
01-04-2013, 10:58 AM
why not the 4th pattern?

fourth would go across, following the house, and would be the pattern for the next visit.

Groomer
01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Nice pic, that place looks sharp, I love the ones where you can roll off the edge, so the lines go right to the end(no always possible), nice trimming on the edges too, keep it up. I love the look of alternating lines, like yours when they are still partially visible from before. I like making parrallelagrams, where you go up and down/side to side and then on a diagonal, not a checkerbord or diamond, its a liitle different, but every house looks better a certian way, and what works on one way not work on another.

thanks. I use a tanaka edger. That property is a nice corner lot, and sometimes I even throw a big curve in it. It's wide open, no fences, and fun to cut.

yardguy28
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM

i know some will roll off the edge so the lines go right to the end but i personally do not practice this.

i avoid turning on hard surfaces whenever possible. its always 2 laps around the perimeter and then my rows.

locallawncare.ca
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Im almost the opposite, i try to turn around off the lawn, sometimes you can frame it in after, but whatever works, also sometimes the edges are too high and the tires make a divit when you roll off/on, but that pic sure looks nice.

Groomer
01-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Funny how everyone cut's a little different. Whatever works! I've always taught my guys to use a drive or a walk for turning whenever possible, why tear turf if you don't have to? (think springtime with wet conditions.)

Blades Lawn Maintenance
01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
I try to do that as well. Turn around off the grass

Ridin' Green
01-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Funny how everyone cut's a little different. Whatever works! I've always taught my guys to use a drive or a walk for turning whenever possible, why tear turf if you don't have to? (think springtime with wet conditions.)

Excellent looking work bro!
I always try to turn off lawn if at all possible. It just looks so much more professional, and the stripes look a lot cleaner IMO.

yardguy28
01-04-2013, 03:56 PM
well I rarely tear turf. when its extremely wet I just do a 3 point turn.

if you turn on a driveway or sidewalk you rub grass into it and then leave a green stain. at least in my experiences. I've never been able to keep grass off the turf wet or dry.

orangemower
01-05-2013, 10:28 AM
well I rarely tear turf. when its extremely wet I just do a 3 point turn.

if you turn on a driveway or sidewalk you rub grass into it and then leave a green stain. at least in my experiences. I've never been able to keep grass off the turf wet or dry.

an you explain a little more in what you mean by that statement?

yardguy28
01-05-2013, 11:11 AM
there's always clippings that get on the tires or just blown on the sidewalk or driveway from mowing or trimming.

when making a zero turn the tires grind those blades of grass into the concrete and it either makes a green stain or the clippings get stuck where my blower won't move them.

the clippings not moving with my blower could change this season though as I did purchase a br600 this fall for leaves. so I'm going from a br400 to a br600 so clippings being stubborn may no longer be a problem.

the other reason to avoid turning on hard surfaces is the longevity of your tires.

p.s.

just caught what orange is saying. it was suppose to be I've never been able to keep grass off the sidewalk/driveway.

locallawncare.ca
01-05-2013, 11:30 AM
I know when mulching it makes a mess on hard surfaces, so in that case I would try to stay off of them,especially when you turn off the blades and all the crap under the deck falls down and gargles out the sides, yeah thats a mess, but otherwise it just looks nicer if you lines go to the end. I dont think your bigger blower will help much I have on and sometimes the stuff is just stuck/painted on. I agree on the tires to an extent, Im sure it contibutes to the wear, but so long as you not doing burn outs, and wheelies it shouldnt make too much off a difference.

Darryl G
01-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Stripes are just something that happens here on our northern lawns, and since they're happening anyway you kind of have to go with it. Sometimes I wish my mowers didn't stripe so I wouldn't have to pay so much attention to straight lines. I've never had a customer complain about them though. I love making it look like I drove right through an obstacle in a lawn.

Snapper Jack
01-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Stripes are just something that happens here on our northern lawns, and since they're happening anyway you kind of have to go with it. Sometimes I wish my mowers didn't stripe so I wouldn't have to pay so much attention to straight lines. I've never had a customer complain about them though. I love making it look like I drove right through an obstacle in a lawn.
I 've tried everything on my mower to eliminate stripping to no avail:cry: they're a pain in the you know what ,especially when working around yards with several tree beds and having to aline the stripes on the opposite side
in an efficient manner to minimize burning time.

Scagman 48
01-05-2013, 02:06 PM
my sh*ttiest lawns stripe and my customers go nuts thats why my Christmas bonus is more than i get for mowing. i ended up installing a big league on my cub cadet this past season and plan on throwing it on my new scag. 4 things people like to see no grass clumps, clean edging/trimming, good blowing, and lawn stripes. It makes there yard stand out from their neighbor. Its only a competition in suburbia :laugh:

Darryl G
01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Keeping grass off turf is an ongoing battle for me too. :laugh:

Turf Commando
01-05-2013, 02:42 PM
It's always nice to change directions...

Ridin' Green
01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
It's always nice to change directions...

Man, who wouldn't love that? I switch directions every week. No rutting and a nice pattern shows up.

Darryl G
01-05-2013, 04:17 PM
It's not easy to stay that straight on a lawn like that...nice job!!

Groomer
01-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I switch it up wherever possible-but some properties dictate I use the same pattern, like this 3 tiered front that slopes on the side as well, with a walk down the center.

yardguy28
01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
I know when mulching it makes a mess on hard surfaces, so in that case I would try to stay off of them,especially when you turn off the blades and all the crap under the deck falls down and gargles out the sides, yeah thats a mess, but otherwise it just looks nicer if you lines go to the end. I dont think your bigger blower will help much I have on and sometimes the stuff is just stuck/painted on. I agree on the tires to an extent, Im sure it contibutes to the wear, but so long as you not doing burn outs, and wheelies it shouldnt make too much off a difference.

I prefer a spotless sidewalk/driveway vs my stripes going to the end.

the only time my tires touch the concrete is when I'm going to or from the trailer or crossing from one section of turf to another.

the stuck on clippings and grass stains aren't worth making the stripes go to the end. at least not to me.

I switch it up wherever possible-but some properties dictate I use the same pattern, like this 3 tiered front that slopes on the side as well, with a walk down the center.

I would call that the vertical pattern from looking at the house from the street. so couldn't you also do the horizontal pattern.

I can see why no diagonal pattern would be used but I would think you could use the horizontal pattern.

Darryl G
01-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Concrete, what's that? It's much less of an issue here because there's very little concrete used, asphalt instead. Exposed concrete surfaces do poorly in our climate.

yardguy28
01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
all I have is concrete. rarely is asphalt used for driveways and I've never seen a asphalt sidewalk and most everyone has a sidewalk.

grass clippings stick like a beotch to concrete if you run over them with your tires.

Turf Commando
01-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Man, who wouldn't love that? I switch directions every week. No rutting and a nice pattern shows up.
That property is probably the hardest lawn I maintain. Any error is easily noticed...
Posted via Mobile Device

Groomer
01-07-2013, 04:32 PM
That property is probably the hardest lawn I maintain. Any error is easily noticed...
Posted via Mobile Device

yup, the wide-open larger spaces are the trickiest.

locallawncare.ca
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
I hate to critic, but didnt anyine notice the huge scalps and high spots on Groomer's picture (the one with the 3 tiered lawn), ouch. Its tough when the lawn slopes up so quickly, sometimes I'll go sideways on those slopes and then go over it again kind of hovering to make the lines but not really cutting, because its already cut and try not to scalp, other than that looks good.

Ridin' Green
01-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I hate to critic, but didnt anyine notice the huge scalps and high spots on Groomer's picture (the one with the 3 tiered lawn), ouch. Its tough when the lawn slopes up so quickly, sometimes I'll go sideways on those slopes and then go over it again kind of hovering to make the lines but not really cutting, because its already cut and try not to scalp, other than that looks good.

I think you're seeing something that isn't there. I see no scalps anywhere, just some grass clippings laying on the surface at the moment.

Groomer
01-07-2013, 08:18 PM
there are indeed some high spots, the way that front is tiered is a real bear of a cut. I often take the trimmer and "feather" the area where each tier dies into the next. Can't throw a horizontal on it because what you don't see is the steep slope on the alley side-shoots straight downhill to the left, believe me, I've tried it.

weaver
01-07-2013, 08:32 PM
there are indeed some high spots, the way that front is tiered is a real bear of a cut. I often take the trimmer and "feather" the area where each tier dies into the next. Can't throw a horizontal on it because what you don't see is the steep slope on the alley side-shoots straight downhill to the left, believe me, I've tried it.

Looks good man....

yardguy28
01-07-2013, 11:38 PM
yeah I don't see any scalp marks either.

maybe clean your monitor???

Ridin' Green
01-07-2013, 11:40 PM
yeah I don't see any scalp marks either.

maybe clean your monitor???

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Now that's funny.

weaver
01-08-2013, 12:14 AM
If you look real close on one of the pics the one closest to the walkway it does look like when he went up the hill like it scalped some.. it still looks good weather he did or not i think. I got a property like that also going from flat ground to a small steep incline and you gotta use the foot lift or it will scalp like crazy ..
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
01-08-2013, 12:37 AM
If you look real close on one of the pics the one closest to the walkway it does look like when he went up the hill like it scalped some.. it still looks good weather he did or not i think. I got a property like that also going from flat ground to a small steep incline and you gotta use the foot lift or it will scalp like crazy ..Posted via Mobile Device

Definitely.

locallawncare.ca
01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Yeah, i wasnt bashing at all just pointing it out, thats another thing I like about striping, it can hide imperfections better. Looks good either way.

Groomer
01-08-2013, 10:28 AM
I think what some of you see as a scalp along the walk is really just a tire line-more or less permanent-from making the same downhill pass everytime I start that section. Another good reason to change up the pattern wherever possible.Like I said, that's a bit of a bear to cut,would be a helluva alot easier without the walk and steps right down the middle.

Groomer
01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
On a side note, I sure wish the weather was like this today!

weaver
01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Man we just had a blizzard 1.5 wks ago now for the rest of this wk they're calling high 50's to low 60's with rain...

Turf Commando
01-08-2013, 03:42 PM

When you go down a slope and back up it changes the grass height, so it appears to look like scalping to other areas..
Taking a trimmer to level out hill isn't out of question...!

Groomer
01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
this thread has made me realize I sure cut alot of sloped turf.

Darryl G
01-09-2013, 10:50 AM
And you do a really good job of staying straight on your slopes!

Richard Martin
01-09-2013, 10:55 AM
this thread has made me realize I sure cut alot of sloped turf.

You're one of the very few alive that can stripe dips correctly. Welcome to the club. Usually most people get a curve in them.

weaver
01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
You're one of the very few alive that can stripe dips correctly. Welcome to the club. Usually most people get a curve in them.

Ya but that last pic looks like it was done with a walkbehind.. Alot easier vs zero turn..

Groomer
01-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Ya but that last pic looks like it was done with a walkbehind.. Alot easier vs zero turn..
Well Weaver, congrats on the good eye! In truth, I went back to using only walkbehinds a few season's ago. And all those sloped properties were a big part of the decision.

Turf Commando
01-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Walkbehinds for me also so much more versitile.
Posted via Mobile Device

dstifel
01-11-2013, 06:52 PM
How should I set my scag 36" wb up to stripe well for next season? It stripes pretty well now and I got high rise blades for it. Any other ideas? I'm in the Midwest btw. Thanks

weaver
01-11-2013, 07:15 PM
How should I set my scag 36" wb up to stripe well for next season? It stripes pretty well now and I got high rise blades for it. Any other ideas? I'm in the Midwest btw. Thanks

Like you said Scags stripe really well as they are but you could always ad a stripe kit.. about 200 and ur done...
Posted via Mobile Device

2ExploreTech
01-11-2013, 10:47 PM

I get what you are asking. May be termed different -- Seamless mowing - is how I know it.

I will admit that there are times when the turf is 'fluffed up' looks real nice. I have done that in small areas, mostly by cutting forward, then backing up over it, but I still have the tire marks showing. Short of raking out the whole yard or using a blower, neither of which I see as practicle on large turf, I don't know how accomplish this.

What many do is 1/2 of yard in 1 direction and next half in other, either by working outside in or starting in middle and working out... but although is isn't striped, it's not seamless either.

... I have received a few comments, not from when the lines were straight, rather from when it was "curvy-swurvy" and "wow, looks great... looks like you had fun" . Oh, well. I mean it looked OK, but I didn't think it was that great, just different for that week.

2ExploreTech
01-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Hey, stipes looks great!

Can't recall where I saw a picture of it... If you ever have extra time on your hands and wish to challenge yourself, have the stripes radiate out from the pole.

Groomer
01-12-2013, 11:39 AM
you know, I really think it's harder not to stripe. C'mon spring!

weaver
01-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey, stipes looks great!

Can't recall where I saw a picture of it... If you ever have extra time on your hands and wish to challenge yourself, have the stripes radiate out from the pole.

Did you see his pics somewhere on the net? He could be in better homes & gardens and not even know it...

Valk
01-12-2013, 03:01 PM
I realize if one is mowing in turf that doesn't stripe (well) that this is a non-issue...
So if one mows concentrically in racetrack fashion...how do you then drive out of the middle w/o leaving an unsightly stripe that would essentially go against the visual grain and would therefore appear out-of-pattern? This is akin to someone putting down a nice stripe...then cutting across the lawn instead of driving around the periphery.

GreenBlade
01-12-2013, 04:18 PM
I love stripes, and I do stripe all my lawns.

I have one client who loves them as much as I do & and he is very particular about them. He'll give me specific instructions sometimes.

Other customers just comment & say "it looks very nice" whether or not the stripes play a part in that, i dont know.

smitty's lawncare
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
all the properties i take care of are striped. why not stripe? it shows you genuinely care about each and every account. plus damn near every commercial mower is made to stripe, other than 3 wheel junk like walkers.

Patriot Services
01-13-2013, 03:25 PM
all the properties i take care of are striped. why not stripe? it shows you genuinely care about each and every account. plus damn near every commercial mower is made to stripe, other than 3 wheel junk like walkers.

Great. A nice peaceful Sunday and your going to all the Walker zombies stirred into a lather.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Great. A nice peaceful Sunday and your going to all the Walker zombies stirred into a lather.
Posted via Mobile Device

Help me Patriot, they're banging at my door!!
Posted via Mobile Device

KS_Grasscutter
01-13-2013, 03:38 PM

You mean like this??:hammerhead:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/2012%20Pics/utf-8BSU1HMDA1ODYtMjAxMjExMjgtMTIyMS5qcGc.jpg

Groomer
01-13-2013, 04:35 PM
C'mon kids, everyone play nice. Please don't turn this thread into another....you know what.

Richard Martin
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
You mean like this??:hammerhead:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/2012%20Pics/utf-8BSU1HMDA1ODYtMjAxMjExMjgtMTIyMS5qcGc.jpg

Is there a particular reason no one has buried those cleanouts?

Kings of Green LLC
01-13-2013, 09:44 PM

I run 48" walkers and a 52" wright stander both stripe great. What size cut do you guys think looks best? My 36" stander dosent look as good as my 48-52?
Posted via Mobile Device

KS_Grasscutter
01-14-2013, 03:35 AM

Must not be a priority for the homeowner. Not too big of a deal to trim around them.

I run 48" walkers and a 52" wright stander both stripe great. What size cut do you guys think looks best? My 36" stander dosent look as good as my 48-52?
Posted via Mobile Device

Depends on the lawn. On bigger stuff, there almost gets to be too many stripes with a small mower (36" for example). 48/52 seems to be a good size for most things IMO.

Kings of Green LLC
01-14-2013, 08:56 AM
I have been looking at a 72" grasshopper how to they stripe?

orangemower
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM

I was going to ask the same thing. Heck, I'd do it myself (owner permission first of course) just so I didn't have to walk over and trim them.

Richard Martin
01-14-2013, 09:54 AM
I was going to ask the same thing. Heck, I'd do it myself (owner permission first of course) just so I didn't have to walk over and trim them.

I would too. Just replace the plastic cap with a metal cap so they can easily be found with a metal detector. Dig about a 12" deep hole around them. Cut the 4" pipe about 4" below the current cap fixture and put the new fixture and metal cap on. Back fill and it's done. No more messed up stripes and 2 less things to trim around. About an hour in labor tops for both cleanouts.

yardguy28
01-14-2013, 11:06 AM
messed up stripes?

the stripes look fine to me. guess its cause I'm to busy paying attention to the over all quality of the cut in general :rolleyes:

smitty's lawncare
01-14-2013, 01:35 PM
i just do not prefer 3 wheel mowers because they leave tracks between stripes. im just partial because i only run walk behinds. i feel like a walk behind stripes a little better and there is not as much turf damage. i run a 52'' scag hyrdo wb and a 36'' scag belt drive wb. on most of the properties i take care of, i feel like my 52'' looks best (unless the yard is too small, then i would use my 36''). Sorry to ruffle any feathers walker owners! i just thought id give my opinion, that what a blog is for right?

yardguy28
01-14-2013, 04:25 PM
funny because even when I strictly ran walkbehinds I still had 3 wheels. always ran the exmark standon with my exmark mowers and its a 1 wheel design.

guess in general I'm more concerned with the overal appearance of the mowing job. are things trimmed neatly, is it an even cut, no scalp marks, no turf damage, no clumps, nice sharp edge, sidewalks and walkways blown off. if I get nice sharp looking stripes in all that, great, if not oh well.

Darryl G
01-14-2013, 11:15 PM
funny because even when I strictly ran walkbehinds I still had 3 wheels. always ran the exmark standon with my exmark mowers and its a 1 wheel design.

guess in general I'm more concerned with the overal appearance of the mowing job. are things trimmed neatly, is it an even cut, no scalp marks, no turf damage, no clumps, nice sharp edge, sidewalks and walkways blown off. if I get nice sharp looking stripes in all that, great, if not oh well.

So you're gonna do all that to make the lawn look good and not really care about the stripes? They do more for the overall appearance than about anything else you could do :hammerhead: :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Nate'sLawnCare
01-15-2013, 01:47 AM
I like stripes better than crop circles. Here's some from today in nearly dormant Fescue:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/ncpilot2/2013-01-14114612_zpsebdabd20.jpg

Aaronnc
01-15-2013, 05:05 AM
loves whatever the customer likes

yardguy28
01-15-2013, 08:02 AM
So you're gonna do all that to make the lawn look good and not really care about the stripes? They do more for the overall appearance than about anything else you could do :hammerhead: :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

yep......

I don't share your opinion of the stripes. sure my mower stripes, I even have the stripe kit but I don't go to great lengths or spend extra time to make sure the stripes are perfect and go straight through objects and all that.