PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu Open bed vs. Box bed?

S. Scapes
12-31-2012, 05:27 PM
I know I'll purchase one of these next season but I was wondering which style to get. There's alot of pros and cons on each although both are very good to have in this business. I was wondering which one do you guys prefer for those who one?

Jimslawncareservice
12-31-2012, 05:55 PM
If it were me I would have enclosed. Mainly for the rolling billboard, security and keeping stuff dry. Plus in the winter I would be able to use tractors with blowers and or brooms.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
12-31-2012, 06:04 PM
If it were me I would have enclosed. Mainly for the rolling billboard, security and keeping stuff dry. Plus in the winter I would be able to use tractors with blowers and or brooms.
Posted via Mobile Device

That makes two of us.

TNGrassCutter
12-31-2012, 06:29 PM
I just bought one. I got an open bed so I can haul mulch and stuff on it too. The same reasons I have an open trailer instead of enclosed. It's just a personal preference really.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
12-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Yup, personal preference on this one.Thumbs Up

For those of us in the northern areas where they salt the piss out of everything all winter long, having your stuff protected from the salt spray is a big plus.:drinkup:

wstrick1
12-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Depends on the work you want to do. With my open bed there is nothing I can't do that an enclosed can do. With enclosed you don't have to worry about straps, tarps, etc it also provides advertising. My open bed I can get more straw, bigger equipment, sod, mulch, tree work/stumps, branches, and I don't have to worry about hitting tree limb's with enclosed.

Jimslawncareservice
12-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Don't forget not having to run to a gas station every time you need to take a leak. Nothing like having to hurry and do the potty dance on the way to the truck
Posted via Mobile Device

gallihergreen
12-31-2012, 06:47 PM
I know I'll purchase one of these next season but I was wondering which style to get. There's alot of pros and cons on each although both are very good to have in this business. I was wondering which one do you guys prefer for those who one?

I'd get an enclosed box if you can swing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

LandFakers
12-31-2012, 06:50 PM
I like the opens, but I like open trailers too. I guess I just like being able to access my entire trailer while inside and outside it... But it's my opinion.

ELS Landscape
12-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Open trailer but enclosed box for me.
There are trade offs for sure but I think the pro's win on the enclosed box

S. Scapes
01-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Ok thanks for all of these opinions. How about fuel mileage? Keeping engine sizes the same, does a box bed harm fuel mileage from drag enough to notice?

Jimslawncareservice
01-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I would say yes. It's a big sail sticking up in the air
Posted via Mobile Device

2k1yzfr1
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
We have a NPR diesel with 18' box and will be adding another in few weeks. They work excellent for mowing and saves an incredible amount of labor not having to load and unload 5 times a week. MPG is 9.5-10 WFO for the past 30k miles.

PLS-Tx
01-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Box, you gotta have a place to pee. :rolleyes:

BrandonV
01-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Fuel wise out 2013 mitfuso super lawn truck is avg ~12
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
01-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Box, you gotta have a place to pee. :rolleyes:

That's what the bushes are for! :laugh:

PLS-Tx
01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
That's what the bushes are for! :laugh:

I think there is a few threads about that. :laugh:

bolc5150
03-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Gotta have a place to pee...I like that.. I run 16 enclosed trailer and having a private place for those most intense time of days, when there are no bushes.. I'm going with a 16ft. box. Nothing like a billboard and garage on wheels.

Cat 320D LRR
03-03-2013, 05:40 PM
your almost in the open vs enclosed trailer debate. If i ever ran a npr of similar truck i would get an enclosed model and then buy a trailer for mulch and other stuff.

agent walker
03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
I recommend a box. keeps all your equipment out of sun and rain and you don't have to unload it every night. I have 2004 isuzu npr hd 20ft box and 4cyl diesel and get around 11.5mpg. Got the valves set and hopefully that will help.

S. Scapes
03-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Well if I have my own storage facility, i'm not worried about unloading it every night unless something needs to be looked at. I'm just really concerned with mileage and if the open bed is worth the extra savings or not. Heck, I might just get one of each and use the open bed for installations :weightlifter:

bolc5150
03-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Just picked up my NPR yesterday. 16'box.. Got it from Ryder trucks. They are replacing the a/c, brake job, passenger door is bowed just slightly, oh and painting the whole box. Seems like a good start to maybe a long lasting relationship. Pics later..
Now the con...Small fuet tank. That's it.

haynes504
03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
i have an npr with 16' box, love it. gets at least 12mpg. like a shop on wheels, if i have any probs with equipment i just let my guy keep working while i get it sorted out. real nice to be able to grab whatever i need easily- compressor etc. all ready to go, no running all over pulling crap out from different places. nice to step inside if its raining also. super nice to be able to just lock it up and go inside wherever i'm at (home depot, dealer, lunch) without worrying whose trying to steal my equipment.

yard_dawg
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
I have a box with a 5 ft dove tail and ramps built on. T he ramps have springs built in the hinges making it easy one handed closing. I do not have to store my equipment for the winter either, just roll he door down and lock it.

TMAC669
03-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Just picked up my NPR yesterday. 16'box.. Got it from Ryder trucks. They are replacing the a/c, brake job, passenger door is bowed just slightly, oh and painting the whole box. Seems like a good start to maybe a long lasting relationship. Pics later..
Now the con...Small fuet tank. That's it.

What did you pay for it if you don't mine me asking? Pic please you know we love pics on this forum.

bolc5150
03-09-2013, 07:38 AM
I paid 12,400 otd.... I got it thru Ryder used trucks. I went to my local Ryder location and the one he had was sold but he said "we can get them anywhere". So, they had one in Atlanta. The starting price was 19k and then it was on a mgr's special at 14,500. The guy told me to submit an offer and I did....Also, It's fleet maintained by Ryder. You get all the maint. records.

It has 170k w a 5.2 diesel. Since it was from Atlanta he told me to drive it back to Knoxville and if there was anything wrong they would fix it....So far they painted the whole box, fixed pass dr that didnt close tight, new a/c, air filter, battery box. Should be done Tue and then dovetail.

TMAC669
03-12-2013, 07:05 AM
I paid 12,400 otd.... I got it thru Ryder used trucks. I went to my local Ryder location and the one he had was sold but he said "we can get them anywhere". So, they had one in Atlanta. The starting price was 19k and then it was on a mgr's special at 14,500. The guy told me to submit an offer and I did....Also, It's fleet maintained by Ryder. You get all the maint. records.

It has 170k w a 5.2 diesel. Since it was from Atlanta he told me to drive it back to Knoxville and if there was anything wrong they would fix it....So far they painted the whole box, fixed pass dr that didnt close tight, new a/c, air filter, battery box. Should be done Tue and then dovetail.

I'm on the road now, left Atlanta yesterday with my baby. I love the sound of that turbo diesel. Get those pics up asap.

lawnpropm
03-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Sharp trucks was it hard to get them to replace things and paint them? Do they finance?

bolc5150
03-24-2013, 12:41 PM
No...I purchased mine from Ryder trucks and when I picked it up the guy here locally said if there is anything....wrong they would take care of it. Well, the pics didn't quit pan out on the box. It looked good from pics then when I got it there were a couple of scratches and discolored "blocks"of white paint where decals had been taken off. They did a good job painting it. Dove tail is on and then one more thing from Ryder, then later this week I will be rolling..

bolc5150
03-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Sharp trucks was it hard to get them to replace things and paint them? Do they finance?

No, Ryder doesn't finance but a dealer would. Tmac got his from a dealer so they could have done his.

DXN1EL
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
13 mpg really? :confused:

I thought, you guy said it saves fuel :cry::cry::cry::cry:

a 18 wheeler gets around 11 MPG

bolc5150
03-26-2013, 05:38 AM
13 mpg really? :confused:

I thought, you guy said it saves fuel :cry::cry::cry::cry:

a 18 wheeler gets around 11 MPG

I got mine for the turning and backing capabilities. I was using a crew cab dually with a 16ft box trailer and I had to turn down jobs due to having to back into driveways off of main roads. They turn on a dime... No, my chevy duramax gets 15mpg pulling so I am sure losing a little on mileage but instead I have a garage on wheels....

DXN1EL
03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Garage on wheels!! :D

Have any body use one of these a true:usflag:

http://www.kenworth.com/media/27706/K270%20K370.pdf