PDA

View Full Version : College Student Mowing Lawns

zukboy789
01-02-2013, 03:08 AM
Well guys, i need you inputs. I am 18 going on 19 (in june) and I am a college student. In the summer, im looking to pick up lawns for me to mow in the summer for extra cash. Ill be working from end of april until the end of august. Any ideas on what i should do?

A little hindsight about me, i worked for a landscaping company for three years (all through highschool) and a lawn care company this past summer. I had 5 lawns i mowed all year but have since passed them to my younger brother who does them because i cant. I have a Honda HRR216VXA with 110hrs on it, a Stihl FS55r with 30 Hrs. on it and plan on picking up a Stihl BG55 if I have work to do this summer. I am considering working for a landscaper, but i cant justify working for 8-10 bucks an hour when i have the equipment to do it myself and pocket the money for the entire job. What do you all think? Any suggestions or warnings?

hi_speedreed
01-02-2013, 04:03 AM
So you are only planning on mowing from the end of April until the end of August even though the growing season give or take depending on how north you are in PA, is from early April until sometime in October. You want some extra cash and want to pocket all of it. I assume by that statement you are not planning on paying taxes, purchasing insurance, or a business license.

Because of your limitations on time and equipment I say go for it. I don't imagine you would pick up any customers that I would want or any legitimate landscaper would for that matter. People who do not already have their lawn boy lined up by the end of April don't care about their lawn other than the fact they just got a letter from the city saying if they don't get it mowed they will be fined. Or they didn't pay for services rendered by the previous LCO and he quit going back.

It's cool too that you are screwing them with a 1/4 of the season left cause the type of people that you will be dealing with probably deserved to be screwed. Sounds like you are going to make a heck of a name for yourself, all kinds of client retention into next year and they will definitely recommend you being that you left them hanging the previous season.

In all seriousness, even though this reply is facetious you should think about the points I made. Are you really going to just quit in August? If so, how do you think that is going to affect your name/brand?

zukboy789
01-02-2013, 04:22 AM
I asked for comments and honest remarks, not an stupid reply that took little into consideration. This would be discussed with the people beforehand. Maybe this forum just aint the place to be. I guess I will just have to use the experience I have and the brain god gave me. Thanks!

hi_speedreed
01-02-2013, 04:50 AM
I asked for comments and honest remarks, not an stupid reply that took little into consideration. This would be discussed with the people beforehand. Maybe this forum just aint the place to be. I guess I will just have to use the experience I have and the brain god gave me. Thanks!

You did not say that in your original post. I took all the info you provided into consideration and provided an honest reply. Maybe the delivery was harsh, but I provided a warning at the end if you read that far.

You said you would only work from late April until late August. You said you wanted to pocket all the money for the work. You asked what members of this site think, for ideas, suggestions or warnings.

Ok, here is a less harsh response.

I don't think you will get many customers only mowing during the little window of time you provided. I think the customers you do get will be crappy, low paying ones. I question whether you will pay taxes, purchase insurance and a business license. You didn't say yes or no to those three questions. I suggest you research laws of your state to find out what you need to do to run a legitimate business. I also would add instead of just looking to make some cash, why not try and find an internship in your chosen field. That will give you a much better head start on the other people in your graduating class than mowing a few yards or working for a landscaper.

trock
01-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Do it! I love picking up new customers in August!!! And we will be able to service them August, September, October, and some of November not to mention pick up the fall clean along with seasonal contract for snowplowing oh and get them signed up for next season for a fert contract, weekly mowing, spring clean up, mulch!! They will not remember you as as that nice little college boy. The only thing they remember that you left them hanging. Also what will you do if you sling a rock in a window? Or hit a kid in the next lawn in the face with a small stone or a piece of bark? Will you have the proper insurance to cover the damages because there is no such thing as "i will be carefull"

mach14604
01-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Dude go find a job somewhere else. Sell what equipment you have and that will give you some start to having money back in your pocket. Everyone one of these guys comments is right on(even if it is harsh). If you can't commit to these people for the season its not worth doing. I find it hard to believe people would hire you knowing that you are only going to be there for a short window.

zukboy789
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Alright. Thanks for the input guys.

mowerbrad
01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
I've been mowing the entire time I have been in college, but I also started in high school too. I'm lucky enough that I go to a University about 25 minutes away from home, so I'm always around and able to service my accounts all year. Seeing as I keep my weekly customer base to around 15-20 customers, I know many of my customers pretty well, they all know I'm in college full-time and have two other jobs that I put in anywhere from 40-70 hours a week at.

In your situation, if you live in a decent size neighborhood, you can probably pick up a few customers for the summer. Make sure that you are upfront and honest with them from the start, that you will be returning back to college at the end of August. Many people are actually quite understanding, especially if you are a hardworking, honest, college student. You have all the necessary equipment now, so aside from purchasing a leaf blower you will have minimal start-up costs.

Reading through the other posts, it seems like lots of people try to put others down on this site, especially when you are a high school or college student. Now, in some towns you will need to get a business license but in cities like mine, you don't need one to mow lawns. The comment was made that you NEED to get insured, that is untrue, legally you don't need insurance. There is no problem with you being self-insured, you are just incurring a great deal of risk should something happen (broken window, damaged car, or god-forbid an injured person). Keep track of the money that you pull in from mowing and your expenses (you can do this in a notebook) then come tax time, just turn it into your parents accountant who can then help determine how much you will need to pay.

I really don't know how much you could make, I would assume you could pick up around 5-6 accounts, assuming that you can keep those accounts all in the same neighborhood, you could gross somewhere around $150/week and only working one day a week. If I was you, I would still look for another part-time job over the summer...sure $9/hour isn't a whole lot but you'll probably make more at that job than you will mowing lawns just for the summer. But mowing could still give you a little "extra" spending cash for the summer or the next school year.

MOturkey
01-02-2013, 04:40 PM
These guys have tried to be realistic with you, and I tend to agree with most of what they say. Nothing wrong with having your own business, and I wouldn't necessarily discourage you from doing so, but you do need to put some more thought into it. My first question is the obvious one. Why do you need to quit mowing at the end of August? The only reason I can think of for this is if you are going to college in a different location. To me, if that is the case, the simple solution would be to live year-round wherever it is the school is located, build your business there, then you could continue to service accounts even after school resumes.

metro36
01-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Im in college as well and I started while I was in high school. Like brad, I go to school about 20 minutes away from home and I stack all of my classes on 2 days a week. This allows me to landscape 4 days a week and provide year round service. Last year I serviced about 20 lawns and this year I am hoping to get about 30 plus Im going to offer fertilization and weed control. For me this is a business which I plan to continue after college.

I believe you will have a hard time finding many customers who will be willing to hire you knowing that you wont be there for the entire season. Plus you wont be able to offer fall cleanups or plantings. Fall is my most profitable time of year. If you do decide to do it, you really need to get licensed and insured. Otherwise you are taking a big risk. All it takes is one mistake, you piss off a customer or a neighbor and you will be done. If you are working for people you know thats one thing but if you want to advertise or do work outside of your neighbor hood, you need to go legit.

I would look for a summer job. Making 10 dollars an hour may not sound like much but youll probably get more hours then you will working for your self. Plus if you get a landscape job, you will get experience with other aspects of the industry besides just mowing. I worked for another company before I started my own and I learned a lot. I learned how to prune, plant, fertilize, work on equipment ect. I also got to see what worked and didnt work within the company so I had ideas on how to do things when I went out on my own.

jiggz
01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Thats not going to work, Your gonna have a hard time picking clients up in April and there gonna be pissed if you stop that early.. Anywhere in PA your gonna need to start sometime in March and cut at least untill November..,unless you pick up coustomers with only Zoysia lol

Not all ideas work

jiggz
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
My advice bust your ass for another company, always be there do everything they want and even more!! be honered about it..Even if it dosnt make sense..always be amped building morale within the group and make them give you a raise. If you can get up to 12-15$.. Youll make alot more then you will on your own trust me

zukboy789
01-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Let me refine the search. I want advice on how to do it, not telling me not to do it just because. I understand most of you are small business owners and you hate people like me (i worked for one, i know how many companies feel) but to be honest, its a great source of money and when people see my work ethic, they are never dissappointed. And no, im not selling my lawn equipment. I wanted some advice, not a bunch of goofball answers. There is an retirement plan 10 minutes from my house with thousand of elderly people who are greatful of someone who is willing to do work. I hate to talk like a 40 year old mother, but if you dont have anything nice to say KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!!!

hi_speedreed
01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Let me refine the search. I want advice on how to do it, not telling me not to do it just because. I understand most of you are small business owners and you hate people like me (i worked for one, i know how many companies feel) but to be honest, its a great source of money and when people see my work ethic, they are never dissappointed. And no, im not selling my lawn equipment. I wanted some advice, not a bunch of goofball answers. There is an retirement plan 10 minutes from my house with thousand of elderly people who are greatful of someone who is willing to do work. I hate to talk like a 40 year old mother, but if you dont have anything nice to say KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!!!

Sorry you can't see real advice when it's smacking you in the face. You still have not answered any questions posed back to you.

Why do you have to quit when school starts in August? MowerBrad keeps his accounts all season and he is in college.

Are you going to pay taxes?

Are you going to research the laws of your state and municipality to make sure you are legal?

It has been explained to you by many members that quality customers want a dependable service all season long but you just get mad. Since you know it already, why are you here asking guys who do it for a living?

T Scapes
01-02-2013, 10:55 PM
if anything mow lawns near school and live there full time. I started in march and cut until thanksgiving.

Landrus2
01-02-2013, 11:16 PM

Contact companies that are solo and want to go on vacation and you can take care of they're accounts for full profit for the time you mow:waving:

zak406
01-03-2013, 02:03 AM

The customers might love your strong work ethic until you cut out in august. I live in pa also and we cut until november this year. You will never retain customers cutting out in august. I would try to find another job for the summer time like construction. Or just do landscaping that way you knwo when your coming and going. This however sounds like a bad idea on your part but it is what it is and you will do what you wish.

I also go to school own my business and pay taxes. All while I am also play hockey for my college (it has to many perks to give up now). Im gone on most weekends during the season so I usually mow on fridays and mondays.

orangemower
01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Let me refine the search. I want advice on how to do it, not telling me not to do it just because. I understand most of you are small business owners and you hate people like me (i worked for one, i know how many companies feel) but to be honest, its a great source of money and when people see my work ethic, they are never disappointed. And no, im not selling my lawn equipment. I wanted some advice, not a bunch of goofball answers. There is an retirement plan 10 minutes from my house with thousand of elderly people who are greatful of someone who is willing to do work. I hate to talk like a 40 year old mother, but if you dont have anything nice to say KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!!!

I don't hate people like you. What I hate is the fact that when someone tries to help, you start making smart azz comments. You said you worked for one, then you say you know how many companies feel. Personally, you're not old enough to know all this.

You're getting the goofball answers because you're acting like a azz to guys that have already tried to warn/help you but you have to make smart azz comments to them. Sell the junk you have and look for a job at Walmart. You're talking down to guys that are twice to three times your age. Show some respect and you might get some back.

lawnkingforever
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
With respect to the teachers and students who have legitimate businesses and serve their customers throughout the entire season, I never understood why so many looked into mowing as a summer gig. June, July and August are usually the slowest time for maintanence. My brother who is a teacher helps me with landscaping jobs during the summer months. He always hounds me about picking up more lawns to mow so he can help on the maintanence side. For being a teacher you would think he would know that mowing season is much longer than his 3 month break in the summer. Last year I started mowing in March and went well into November. He would be of no help to me during this time as he is teaching during the day. I do not set my schedule for mowing to include evenings and weekends. My high end customers would not like me mowing when they are home. So weekends and evenings would be out also. When I was in college, I worked at a private golf course during the summer. My summer break was simply to short to properly service any lawns on a schedule for the whole season.
Posted via Mobile Device

zukboy789
01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
With respect to the teachers and students who have legitimate businesses and serve their customers throughout the entire season, I never understood why so many looked into mowing as a summer gig. June, July and August are usually the slowest time for maintanence. My brother who is a teacher helps me with landscaping jobs during the summer months. He always hounds me about picking up more lawns to mow so he can help on the maintanence side. For being a teacher you would think he would know that mowing season is much longer than his 3 month break in the summer. Last year I started mowing in March and went well into November. He would be of no help to me during this time as he is teaching during the day. I do not set my schedule for mowing to include evenings and weekends. My high end customers would not like me mowing when they are home. So weekends and evenings would be out also. When I was in college, I worked at a private golf course during the summer. My summer break was simply to short to properly service any lawns on a schedule for the whole season.
Posted via Mobile Device

A golf course, now thats an idea!

Roger
01-03-2013, 11:18 AM
I agree with the many comments here about attempting to make a business by working three months per season. It is not going to happen, and there is no reason to think it will work.

I work not far from lawnking, and my season also went from mid-March to well into December. My last jobs were a few days before Christmas. People expected their last cleanup "right before Christmas."

However, having said this, I like to have your type working. You provide a stream of new customers for me. Several of my regular customer came to be in early September, "... the college kid I had working for me just never came back." Interestingly enough, in many cases, they never bothered to get their payments for the last visits. I guess they were too embarrassed to walk away. Rather than make formal notification to the customer, "I am leaving ... need to find somebody else," they just walk away without notice, and never collect payments.

In each of those cases, my new customer, "... I will never hire a kid again." In other words, these folks have had enough of unfulfilled expectations. Residential customers don't want to fuss with a new LCO search in the middle of the season.

My point is that don't be surprised at some negative feedback from potential customers. They may have been burned before, and won't even give you an opportunity to do any work.

orangemower
01-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I agree with the many comments here about attempting to make a business by working three months per season. It is not going to happen, and there is no reason to think it will work.

I work not far from lawnking, and my season also went from mid-March to well into December. My last jobs were a few days before Christmas. People expected their last cleanup "right before Christmas."

However, having said this, I like to have your type working. You provide a stream of new customers for me. Several of my regular customer came to be in early September, "... the college kid I had working for me just never came back." Interestingly enough, in many cases, they never bothered to get their payments for the last visits. I guess they were too embarrassed to walk away. Rather than make formal notification to the customer, "I am leaving ... need to find somebody else," they just walk away without notice, and never collect payments.

In each of those cases, my new customer, "... I will never hire a kid again." In other words, these folks have had enough of unfulfilled expectations. Residential customers don't want to fuss with a new LCO search in the middle of the season.

My point is that don't be surprised at some negative feedback from potential customers. They may have been burned before, and won't even give you an opportunity to do any work.

Your typing skills must be pretty. It would take me an hour to get all that typed up. Great info and I also like the fact that his type just up and leave. I got a ton of new customers in early Sept.

orangemower
01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Really, I think we should all encourage him to do it. It turns the cheap customer into a customer that realizes that finding someone cheap to do they're lawn doesn't pay in the long run.

jiggz
01-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Several of my regular customer came to be in early September, "... the college kid I had working for me just never came back."

I grab ALOT everyear 3/4 way threw the season for the same reason..Or from the moron that thought he was gonna make a million mowing lawns until a drought hits in July/August and he has to go back and get a job because he has made no money over 8 or 9 weeks..I love it sometimes when I give them a price and they tell me "Well I paid the last guy $$$" I always playfully say "ohh thats right you were on a 3 month scedual.. we dont really do that but ill make an acception since were in the area alot, its going to be an additional 20$ per cut"..lol

back to the kid, I dont really care if your a legit business or not, that stuff dosnt really bother me for someone just starting out if the person actually takes it seriousally plans to become legit sometime soon and knows/understands the science behind turffgrass, ornamentals, trees, well not so much trees but just there needs in general, how long a season is lol, ect.. Your trying to cut almost a full 5 months out its just nonsensical

thats like going out for dinner having the waitress ask you your drink order and never comeback to your table because they dont serve food

rlmlandscape
01-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Why don't you look into working for a landscaper during the week and doing some power washing on the weekends. If you have experience in the landscape field you should be able to get 15/hr as a crew manager or a helper with knowledge. This is what I did in college during the summer months along with building patios on the weekends and on my days when work was slow for my cousins company. I ended up moving up to where college was and starting my own business my junior/senior year of college. I'd say if the people who are employing you are only paying 8-10/hr either you don't have enough experience/ work ethic or your looking at companies who low ball their employees.

zukboy789
01-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Why don't you look into working for a landscaper during the week and doing some power washing on the weekends. If you have experience in the landscape field you should be able to get 15/hr as a crew manager or a helper with knowledge. This is what I did in college during the summer months along with building patios on the weekends and on my days when work was slow for my cousins company. I ended up moving up to where college was and starting my own business my junior/senior year of college. I'd say if the people who are employing you are only paying 8-10/hr either you don't have enough experience/ work ethic or your looking at companies who low ball their employees.

Well here is the deal with that sir. Im 18-19 but look young (mid teens) so people are almost skeptical and apprehensive due to my appearence (size wise). There has not been 1 employer I had that disliked my work ethic, it is very rare to be honest. Im the just about the first one there, never call in sick, and get the job done right, which is why i have an issue when people talk **** to me. Once at the 3 year employment with a landscaper we had a guy come in that was a new hire, rather large, id say 6'4 230lbs. He saw me, and at the time, i was probably 15, 5'6 125lbs soaking wet. He laughed and said the manager and said if he can last here so can I. My manager said "i'd watch how you run you mouth around him, he will mow circles around you @$$. No joke." The dude never said another word. I wonder as a fert tech last summer and got $450 a week which sucked. I had to fert 155 lawns a week (around 600,000-700,000 square foot per week) and overtime was 4.50 an hour (half rate policy thing). Id end up around 100 hours a week, did all my own paper work, loaded and took care of my own truck, had to wash it EVERY day. Drove around 400-500 miles a week in my work truck. The most in a day was about 330 miles. Thats alot. I used a route planner system so it was the most effecient route too. Id be happy with 12-15 bucks and hour but people just underestimate me wherever i go. I get along with almost everybody, many of my weekly cuts call in and requested me because of how good I was. Hell, one old lady loved me, she wanted her to be my last mow of the day so she could cook dinner for me! Boss did not approve of that. The first 2 years at a landscaper I was $8 an hour and the third was $10. I think the reason I dont want to work for one is because I feel underpaid and cheated out of money for the time, effort and quality I put in. Any thoughts to this one?

hi_speedreed
01-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Well here is the deal with that sir. Im 18-19 but look young (mid teens) so people are almost skeptical and apprehensive due to my appearence (size wise). There has not been 1 employer I had that disliked my work ethic, it is very rare to be honest. Im the just about the first one there, never call in sick, and get the job done right, which is why i have an issue when people talk **** to me. Once at the 3 year employment with a landscaper we had a guy come in that was a new hire, rather large, id say 6'4 230lbs. He saw me, and at the time, i was probably 15, 5'6 125lbs soaking wet. He laughed and said the manager and said if he can last here so can I. My manager said "i'd watch how you run you mouth around him, he will mow circles around you @$$. No joke." The dude never said another word. I wonder as a fert tech last summer and got $450 a week which sucked. I had to fert 155 lawns a week (around 600,000-700,000 square foot per week) and overtime was 4.50 an hour (half rate policy thing). Id end up around 100 hours a week, did all my own paper work, loaded and took care of my own truck, had to wash it EVERY day. Drove around 400-500 miles a week in my work truck. The most in a day was about 330 miles. Thats alot. I used a route planner system so it was the most effecient route too. Id be happy with 12-15 bucks and hour but people just underestimate me wherever i go. I get along with almost everybody, many of my weekly cuts call in and requested me because of how good I was. Hell, one old lady loved me, she wanted her to be my last mow of the day so she could cook dinner for me! Boss did not approve of that. The first 2 years at a landscaper I was $8 an hour and the third was $10. I think the reason I dont want to work for one is because I feel underpaid and cheated out of money for the time, effort and quality I put in. Any thoughts to this one?

Yep, it's a load of bull. Make sure you take some math classes when you go to college so when you spin yarns, you can at least make the numbers add up. 100 hrs per week = 60 hrs of overtime. 40x8 = 320 and 60x4.50 = 270

270+320=590 and we all know that 590 does not equal 450 and we all know that no legitimate business pays $4.50 per hour for OT.

Try again.

zukboy789
01-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Yep, it's a load of bull. Make sure you take some math classes when you go to college so when you spin yarns, you can at least make the numbers add up. 100 hrs per week = 60 hrs of overtime. 40x8 = 320 and 60x4.50 = 270

270+320=590 and we all know that 590 does not equal 450 and we all know that no legitimate business pays $4.50 per hour for OT.

Try again.

My bad, it was 450 a week, with 10 hr over time PER WEEK, 100 hr

zukboy789
01-04-2013, 12:11 AM

Try again.

My bad, it was 450 a week, with 10 hr over time PER WEEK, 100 hr every 2 weeks (that was a pay period. DO NOT INSULT ME! Im looking for help not ****** bag remarks I make mistakes just like the rest. If you talked to you customers that what, the answer would be "what customers"

zukboy789
01-04-2013, 12:14 AM

Try again.

And if you learned the laws you would know that half rate over time is legal for businesses that are season, so it sucks but its legitimate.

hi_speedreed
01-04-2013, 01:17 AM
My bad, it was 450 a week, with 10 hr over time PER WEEK, 100 hr every 2 weeks (that was a pay period. DO NOT INSULT ME! Im looking for help not ****** bag remarks I make mistakes just like the rest. If you talked to you customers that what, the answer would be "what customers"

I can only insult you if you allow yourself to be insulted. Apparently pointing out where you are wrong is insulting to you. That attitude may be why you are being paid so little. You do not have a birthright to higher wages. You're not special no matter how much your parents say you are. I can talk to you however I want because you are not a customer of mine. I will continue to point out how wrong you are. Caps Lock does not scare me.:laugh:

And if you learned the laws you would know that half rate over time is legal for businesses that are season, so it sucks but its legitimate.

Maybe you should study some of your state's laws. And even if it was still legal, your employer was not compensating you correctly. You were entitled to 1/2 of your base pay which is hard to determine using your calculations but it appears you should have been receiving approximately 5.06/hr in OT.

Here is the decision

http://www.palaborandemploymentblog.com/uploads/file/A3021137.PDF

and here are some articles

http://www.tlnt.com/2012/08/31/pennsylvania-court-throws-out-fluctuating-work-week-ot-method/

http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/federal-court-holds-that-flsas-fluctua-95019/

hi_speedreed
01-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Now if any of you PA guys besides zukboy can shed some more light on this than what I have read, I am open to it. The way I read it is any non exempt employee must be paid 1.5 times for all hours over 40. The fluctuating work week compensation method appears to be pretty controversial as it was supposed to protect employees who worked more than 40 some weeks and less than 40 others but ended up benefiting business owners who did not care to shaft their employees out of their overtime as these workers worked more than 40 all the time.

GreenI.A.
01-04-2013, 04:07 AM
The .5 overtime rate is common with many of the national fert companies. But that .5 rate also takes into account commisions and insentive pay. The system is set up so that if you make your numbers and hit goals get get incentives then you get larger bonuss. But yes, the .5 rate is legal in most states for the fert industry

That said, I am mad that I didn't see this thread sooner as I usually like to tear into guys about the neccesity of General Liability Insurance and Cmmercial Auto Plates and Insurance. I still didn't see, do you plan to have insurance?

rlmlandscape
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM

I would go look at some different companies that are hiring. I too am very young looking. When I started working for a company I was 19 and looked like I was 15 or 16. Make sure you have a well put together resume to hand to these companies. Not a lot of guys who work in this industry know how to put one together and if you do a little research online you can find out how. This way they can see your past work experience and refrences etc. It sounds like you know what your doing on the fert side. You could be an asset to a 200 account landscape company who are usaully working for a employee who could go do fert when needed and other work when fert work isn't happening. Also look at doing landscaping, maybe running a bed maintence crew instead of doing fert work. I only got paid in cash in my summer jobs but as a crew leader was making 13/hr when I started and then 15/hr my last two years with a $500 Christmas bonus. Pretty good money considering most of the day I delivered mulch to the guys and shoveled it out the back of the dump into wheelbarrows. Now I will say my boss treated everyone very well at the company but thats what made working their so nice. Theirs probably guys like this around you, their just a little harder to find. This was you will still get 40-50/hr a week and can have time to do some side work like power washing on the weekends. A decent power washer is only around 500 bucks at home depot and can do a good enough job to satisfy most people when cleaning sidewalks, fences, etc.