PDA

View Full Version : Operating cost differential 3/4 or 1 ton

zabmasonry
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Starting up a business here in the next few days, going to be buying a truck to yank around a 12,000 GVW trailer. I have basically narrowed my search to one of the following trucks. I won't buy a truck without a full 8 foot bed. i expect to drive 20-30k a year

12V dodge cummins 1 ton. likely an extended cab

I won't buy a V8 diesel, after looking a dozens of them 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, 6.6Dmax. A v8 is great for higher rpm horse power, which is great for a few applications like tub grinders or boats, but stupid for a truck. I get why people buy them, but I'm not interested in owning one.

Chevy/GMC 2500HD with a 6.0L roughly a 2004-2006. probably a regular cab.

All things being equal I really only care about yearly operating cost. Any input on a rough estimation, or difference between the two?

Kelly's Landscaping
01-02-2013, 09:15 PM
All things being equal so diesel vs diesel gas vs gas. 2500s have 4 wheels 3500s can either have 4 or 6 so with the miles your talking its a set a year so thats 400 dollars right there. But you normally see 8 lugs per wheel on 2500s and 3500s so other than and extra leaf spring or 2 they very close in weight and components.

Ethanslawn
01-03-2013, 07:45 PM
gas is cheaper to maintain, fairly easy to maintenance on as well basic fuel filter plugs and wires and etc. Avg l uses 6qts of oil an avg uses 12-15qts if i remember right and you doing 20-30k miles a year my 2500hd is rated for i believe 14,000 towing and i had a plow on it and a skidsteer with a plow and a 2k lb trailer and freeway driving wasnt too bad aroung 10mpg and around town was 6-8mpg depending on what i was driving on (hills or straight shots). I ve had better luck with my chevy then dodges yeah they have the cummins but the dodge trucks themselves dont hold up very well.

01thump
01-03-2013, 07:48 PM
You will never get the answer you would like on this forum or any other for that matter..your question has WAY to many variables to have a positive and truthful response...the only way to get your answer would be to buy the two top pics of truck you want and run them the exact same way for a while to get the answer you are looking for .. I run a 04 Ram 4x4 4 door dually diesel and love it great fuel mileage and will pull anything I hook to without issues..I recommend that...I am sure you will have others tell you get something else..get the truck you want and roll with it thats all I can tell you..operating costs vary a great deal with every company and how much use the truck gets and how hard it is worked so the answer to your question has no answer..

4 seasons lawn&land
01-03-2013, 09:46 PM
are you talking about dual wheel 3500?

hosejockey2002
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
won't buy a V8 diesel, after looking a dozens of them 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, 6.6Dmax. A v8 is great for higher rpm horse power, which is great for a few applications like tub grinders or boats, but stupid for a truck. I get why people buy them, but I'm not interested in owning one.

That's probably one of the oddest things I've seen on here. Any one of the V8 diesels you named on here has more torque than a stock 12V Cummins, and much more than the 6.0 Chevy gas.

I actually own a 2005 Chevy 6.0 gas, and it's the perfect truck for what I do. Diesel would have been a big waste of money for me. But I would not want to tow 12,000 pounds with it on a daily basis. I would scratch that off your list. The newer ones have much better transmission gearing for towing and would probably be fine.

Valk
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Is it safe to say that the step-up from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton is larger than from a 3/4 to a full 1 ton?

Lots of stop-n-go driving favors a gasser.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Is it safe to say that the step-up from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton is larger than from a 3/4 to a full 1 ton?

Lots of stop-n-go driving favors a gasser.

If you were to get new truck brochure from dodge you'd find the 1500 has its very own brochure. Where as the 2500 and 3500 share one. And the final step up the chassis cab has the 3500 4500 and 5500 in one brochure.

So yes the 3/4 ton and 1 ton are closely related where the half ton is really its own breed. That said if they ever put a diesel in a half ton I think it would be an instant best seller.

01thump
01-04-2013, 03:21 PM
If you were to get new truck brochure from dodge you'd find the 1500 has its very own brochure. Where as the 2500 and 3500 share one. And the final step up the chassis cab has the 3500 4500 and 5500 in one brochure.

So yes the 3/4 ton and 1 ton are closely related where the half ton is really its own breed. That said if they ever put a diesel in a half ton I think it would be an instant best seller.

Half ton diesels have been around a while chevy had the 6.2 in half tons years ago...

Kelly's Landscaping
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Half ton diesels have been around a while chevy had the 6.2 in half tons years ago...

Interesting to know and considering I have a 6.2 diesel in my 89 gmc I feel its the wrong motor for that size . It's over kill what I want is a 4 cylinder diesel 1500 that gets 35-40 mpg. Hence the reason for wanting one with a diesel is the mileage.

jrs.landscaping
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Interesting to know and considering I have a 6.2 diesel in my 89 gmc I feel its the wrong motor for that size . It's over kill what I want is a 4 cylinder diesel 1500 that gets 35-40 mpg. Hence the reason for wanting one with a diesel is the mileage.

I never thought those words would be in the same sentance. My 6.2 is a good running motor, other than that it is a dog which we only use for plowing because it doesn't have the power to spin a wheel. I do agree about the 4 cyl diesel, overseas they have a Ranger with a diesel and it is a huge seller.

01thump
01-05-2013, 09:12 PM

Sounds like you know what you want why not just do a motor swap there are tons of 4 banger diesels out there in old bread trucks and other things to grab a motor from build your own instead of waiting for someone else to do it for you..my neighbor put a 4bt in his ranger in a weekend and loves it..you will never see the high mileage that you are looking for though that is unrealistic..plus our government will not allow those high mileage numbers they would loose to much money..

david bailey
01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
You say you'll be pulling a 12k trailer. what are you hauling on the trailer. The biggest reason I would look at a dually has more to do with stopping than pulling. I own a 250 with a 7.3 and it's a great engine but the tranny is not as strong as the one in my 06 350 dually. The biggest knock on Dodge is the flimsy transmissions. If you go Ram,get a manual. A one ton is a heavier drive train/axles/brakes than a 3/4 ton. is the trailer a tag along or a goose?

jrs.landscaping
01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
You say you'll be pulling a 12k trailer. what are you hauling on the trailer. The biggest reason I would look at a dually has more to do with stopping than pulling. I own a 250 with a 7.3 and it's a great engine but the tranny is not as strong as the one in my 06 350 dually. The biggest knock on Dodge is the flimsy transmissions. If you go Ram,get a manual. A one ton is a heavier drive train/axles/brakes than a 3/4 ton. is the trailer a tag along or a goose?

Two completely different trucks. If you had an 06 250 with a 6.0, it would have a Torqshift, the same transmission that's in a 350, 450, and 550. The only thing that changes is the gearing and spring package.