PDA

View Full Version : Recycling telephone/utility poles????

KrayzKajun
01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Had a random thought today. After hurricane Isaac hit a few months ago the utility companies have been switching out old dated poles for new stronger poles. Plus replacing all the damaged poles. I asked one of the supervisors what they are doing with the old poles. He said they cut them up and trash them..they are stockpiling the old poles down the road from my shop. I was wondering if you could cut the poles into different lengths as desired. Then attach them say 5 or 6 poles wide and use them as equipment mats. Am I thinking way to far out the box?

Forever Green Landscaping
01-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Poles for docks

knox gsl
01-02-2013, 09:54 PM
I would think docks or pole barns but mats would be useful down there also.

AintNoFun
01-02-2013, 09:59 PM
i would think not any people would touch them with the creosote on them...

Duekster
01-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Depends on how old they are. Some of those poles are likely soaked in some nasty stuff. PVB's and other stuff including metals and such to keep them from rotting.

NIXRAY
01-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I'd say if you had the property make a ropes course or the like
Posted via Mobile Device

nnusskern
01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Dueksters right anout the PCBs in my area majority of transfoers no longer have PCBs in fluids but have envirmentally friendly chemical. Not sure about your area though but even if transformers no longer due some maybe on pole from when they switched fluid. You may want to let them goe unless you can be sure they do not have PCBs just because of possible liability
Posted via Mobile Device

exmark user
01-02-2013, 10:43 PM
We have used them for corner post on barb wire fence in the past

JB1
01-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Around here they are used for fence posts, pole barns and some tall deer stands.

Weekend cut easymoney
01-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Thought about using one to keep crazies from driving through my fence...cut into sections and burying around perimeter.
Then taking one and constructing some sort of gate that would be a deterrent to theives crashing my gate

tailboardtech
01-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Our county parks use them as Barrier posts to keep people out the local utility company gives the old ones along with the ones the use for training to us for free. We just cut them into 4 foot pieces
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
01-03-2013, 08:18 AM
http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1311.html

exmark user
01-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Thought about using one to keep crazies from driving through my fence...cut into sections and burying around perimeter.
Then taking one and constructing some sort of gate that would be a deterrent to theives crashing my gate that is why we used them . That way when it destroys the gate and fence and they leave the scene at least it hurts there car get hurts to

jones68
01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Ive seen them used as a light duty (decorative) retaining wall dug down 3-4-5 feet and stood up vertical. ive never done any of those cant say on the durability. I have also seen them drilled and spiked down to be used as parking curbs in drive ways and such. I have used them to lay flat and line the sides of stone driveways to keep stone from being washed out and on large gardens to keep the soil in. And I remember driving through an older town where they used them to make a guard rail.

YellowDogSVC
01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
The creosote/PCBs could be a liability if used near wetlands or in water but above ground I like the idea of equipment mats or a place to keep attachments out of the mud. Could also be used as fence posts and that's popular here in Texas.

I've got some really big ones on my property when the power company switched from 70' wooden poles to 110' concrete poles. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do but was thinking of making a bridge for a mule or small vehicle to cross an arroyo or ditch.

KrayzKajun
01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
The supervisor, said i could pick through them and take the uncoated poles if i wanted. Thought about making a few 10' long mats , say 5poles wide. Could use them to sit pallets on top of or i like yellowdogs idea. Put my buckets, grapple, bushhog etc... On them to keep them out the mud.
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
01-03-2013, 07:02 PM
The supervisor, said i could pick through them and take the uncoated poles if i wanted. Thought about making a few 10' long mats , say 5poles wide. Could use them to sit pallets on top of or i like yellowdogs idea. Put my buckets, grapple, bushhog etc... On them to keep them out the mud.
Posted via Mobile Device

If my poles weren't so big, I considered making a washing deck out of them. I could make a base ramp and the mud and debris would fall between the poles when I pressure wash my machines. Probably any number of uses on private land.. I did a paper on PCBs in school. That's some nasty stuff so best to keep old poles away from waterways but I don't see a problem using them on your own land or even selling some for fence posts or footbridges.

Someone must have another creative idea. Any artists out there?

larryinalabama
01-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Start a wind generating farm

vaacutabove
01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
I have 10 acres fenced in with them was a ***** but i shoulld never have to replace a post as long as im alive (im only 27) every 20 feet sucke
Posted via Mobile Device

Junior M
01-03-2013, 09:25 PM
We use them for everything from fence, to barriers. We're gonna make a wall out of them then pile dirt around the front to shoot in to.
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
I like the barrier idea and shooting berm.