PDA

View Full Version : New Plow Truck Ram 2500

lawns by design
01-03-2013, 01:58 AM
Hey tonight i bought my first ram 2001 2500 edition . I would like to know what are some things i should watch out for with theses trucks . It just had a plow put on it this year and runs strong i had machines check it out. Just wanted to know if anyone knew any information for me. Has 143000 on it doesn't even have a hitch on it, I will have to put one on it but that is a good thing shows it hasn't been towed with .

exmark user
01-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Is it a cummins?

lawns by design
01-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Hey sorry should of put that it is not it has 5.9 v8
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Hey sorry should of put that it is not it has 5.9 v8
Posted via Mobile Device

LOVES the fuel!

LawnMan19
01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
LOVES the fuel!

Yeah, but it's great if your going to be working the truck.

gallihergreen
01-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm not a big MoPar man so I could be completely out in left field, but weren't those trucks known for having transmission problems?
Posted via Mobile Device

scotts lawn care
01-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Congrats on your truck! Any pics?

tdifonzo
01-04-2013, 07:30 PM
I used to own a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 that I used to plow with as well,when I lived in New Jersey. I bought it new with a Meyers plow. The 5.9 liter was a strong motor but it did like the fuel. But you can do ok if you go easy on the gas peddle. I had an earlier 97 that did have transmission problems butI think Dodge had that figured out by 2001. I did have to replace the steering box at about 33,000 miles because of a little play in it. I think the plowing caused that. Other than that the truck was very reliable and a work horse. Good luck with yours!

lawns by design
01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Congrats on your truck! Any pics?

Yes I put one on my main page check it let me know
Posted via Mobile Device

lawns by design
01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
I used to own a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 that I used to plow with as well,when I lived in New Jersey. I bought it new with a Meyers plow. The 5.9 liter was a strong motor but it did like the fuel. But you can do ok if you go easy on the gas peddle. I had an earlier 97 that did have transmission problems butI think Dodge had that figured out by 2001. I did have to replace the steering box at about 33,000 miles because of a little play in it. I think the plowing caused that. Other than that the truck was very reliable and a work horse. Good luck with yours!

Thanks for all your words how many miles did you put on yours ? I'm hearing some noise when I hit the gas coming from rear I think differential is low ? Also my 4x4 light blinks on and off but it is not in 4 wheel and when light goes on to me seems like truck is trying to engage in 4 when it comes on and off any ideas ?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

dstifel
01-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Replaced trannies in 03 as far as I know watch the temp of the tranny that is what went wrong on them they overheat and burn up if not careful

N_Greenscapes
01-08-2013, 09:47 AM
You'll like the truck. They are definately work horses. I had a 97 which is not much different than yours, and as long as you stop completely before changing directions and give the tranny a little bit to cool down after you've been working it hard, you should be alright. Also change the tranny fluid before or after every season. I never had a problem with mine and it did way more than I could have ever asked it to.

lawns by design
01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
You'll like the truck. They are definately work horses. I had a 97 which is not much different than yours, and as long as you stop completely before changing directions and give the tranny a little bit to cool down after you've been working it hard, you should be alright. Also change the tranny fluid before or after every season. I never had a problem with mine and it did way more than I could have ever asked it to.

Hey thanks now when you say stop completely before changing directions what do you mean ? Also my 4x4 light keeps coming on and off any idea what that could mean ?
Posted via Mobile Device

lawns by design
01-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey guys would you all just change the pan transmission fluids are change the entire transmission like where they suck out all 12 quarts ?
Posted via Mobile Device

N_Greenscapes
01-08-2013, 01:00 PM
By changing directions, I mean when you go from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. The reverse band is another thing that these trannies are known for. Another little tip for. Keeping your tranny in good shape, especially when plowing, when you do go from drive to reverse or vise versa, select nuetral for a second before you swith. It helps save the gears.

As to your other question about changing the fluid, DO NOT flush the tranny if it hasn't been kept on regular tranny flushing schedule. Just drop the pan, change the filter and replace the fluid. Tranny flushes on transmissions with out regular changes tends to cause more problems. Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawns by design
01-08-2013, 02:08 PM
By changing directions, I mean when you go from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. The reverse band is another thing that these trannies are known for. Another little tip for. Keeping your tranny in good shape, especially when plowing, when you do go from drive to reverse or vise versa, select nuetral for a second before you swith. It helps save the gears.

As to your other question about changing the fluid, DO NOT flush the tranny if it hasn't been kept on regular tranny flushing schedule. Just drop the pan, change the filter and replace the fluid. Tranny flushes on transmissions with out regular changes tends to cause more problems. Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks that was really helpful I thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

LandFakers
01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
My son has a 94 with the V10 that a drive quiet a bit. It loves fuel but really loves to work. Steering boxes, trannies, and ball joints are common things that go wrong. And I don't think the V8 has as many manifold issues as the V10 does... So I wouldn't worry there. Should last you a while
Posted via Mobile Device