PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Trimstar

djk81
01-03-2013, 11:46 PM
How's the cut quality of a Trimstar 48" and what are some of the cons that have come up in the field?

MGV
01-13-2013, 02:06 AM
I don't use mine everyday, bought it mostly for some yards that are fenced in and i can't get the 60" mowers in. Cons, Does not cut that well with factory blades, I use gators which seem to help. I had problems with the deck bearings 2 times, both under warranty but it still has some vibration from the deck. Cutting in the spring time I have to clean the underside of the deck a lot, seems to clog more than the 60". The rubber grips on the handle bars come loose you have to go to a motorcycle shop and buy grip glue.
Pro's, Light weight and wide rear tires helps on soft turf, kawi starts easy, plenty of power. Over all I don't think I would buy another, would look into another brand.

djk81
01-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the feed back. Do you have the new style that has been out for around two years?

djk81
01-13-2013, 10:47 PM
How about Gravely pro-walks? I have a Gravely dealer here in town and i know of a good used 52" Pro-walk. Hows their cut quality?

rmslawns
01-13-2013, 11:06 PM
I have a 2009 trimstar 48". Just started having issues with the grips in hot weather last season..glue got soft. I want to try out a JD WH52. Not sure how the cotrols will compare to the hustler. I do see that they look similar to the gravely. If you demo a gravely prosteer, let me know how you like it.

djk81
01-13-2013, 11:14 PM
How do you like the cut quality of your trimstar?

rmslawns
01-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Used it the first season with the discharge, then put a mulch kit on it. It mulches well. I have four sets of blades for it and change them once a week. I also do not cut first thing in the morning with it unless grass is close to dry. Spring causes more scraping when changing blades. Mulch kit for me at least has worked out good and cut down on time using blowers. I have a 17 hp on it. I see the new ones have 15 hp for a 48". Not sure if they are just as powerful or not.

rmslawns
01-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Mulching turns leaves to dust in the fall.