PDA

View Full Version : Transit Level

Husky05
01-04-2013, 05:57 PM
What is the best Transit level you could use for concrete for judging depth and elevations? What would this cost, which ones do you guys use or prefer?

THANKS

alldayrj
01-04-2013, 08:37 PM
depths meaning distance? that gets pricey (I took surveying in college and those total stations were like $20k). elevations is your standard transit

I have a dewalt transit and an old berger, the bergers seem to be pretty popular. I use mine for concrete frequently.

GreenI.A.
01-05-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm assuming by "Distance" you are not talking about one that uses a laser to give distance, like Falcone said above, those are pretty pricy.

I'm gonna guess you mean one that is accurate for different distances. As your transit being off a 1/8" of an inch at 25' will make you off by a full inch at 200'. We use a Berger for our transit, anything that is a relatively short distance such as within a 50' radius, we usually use our CST laser level

etwman
01-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Zip level.com. Bar none the best thing out there. I've used every topcon, Berger, etc. for what Hardscaping is this thing works perfectly and is so simple. It's great for designers and architects too.

SDLandscapes VT
01-12-2013, 10:03 PM
wish there was a like on etwman.....ziplevel for us

alldayrj
01-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Anyone have a video showing the zip level in action? Could only find 2 on youtube.
Is this guy using a zip level?
http://youtu.be/AoR9kE1Cf5I
Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
01-15-2013, 11:35 PM
alldayrj

I don't know the Chris Axel from the video, but I will say this--zip levels are crazy popular in the Twin Cities because the landscape horticulture department at the University of Minnesota used zip levels in their curriculum for the design and implementation classes--we had to use it alongside the lasers and transits--everyone left the exercise ready to plunk down money on the miracle box--heck we don't even install walls and I have a ziplevel and we love the ease of use for setting grades etc. I would like a laser setup that attaches to machinery, but that will happen in time.

alldayrj
01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Looked at their site last night. I'm sold but i think i only need the 75' version since its 200 less. Its lame that they make you buy the case and unipod separate.
Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
no get the 200' and things must have changed since mine came with that stuff

PaperCutter
01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Do you guys find the calibration on the zip level goes a little wonky in the cold weather? I ended up switching back to a laser transit for the time being because the last few cold days I used the zip, it was all over the place. Above 50 degrees it didn't seem like an issue.

SDLandscapes VT
01-16-2013, 01:22 PM
i can understand why it would be wonky in the cold, but have not had an issue--when was the last time you sent yours in for service and calibration?

PaperCutter
01-16-2013, 01:49 PM
i can understand why it would be wonky in the cold, but have not had an issue--when was the last time you sent yours in for service and calibration?

**crickets**

I've gone through the steps they give for recalibration, but I've never sent it in for service.

SDLandscapes VT
01-16-2013, 02:07 PM
you can send it in for service to replace the liquid and gas in the tube, but it should flash a warning "cord"

PaperCutter
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
The only time I ever got a "cord" warning is when I recalibrated it. This last time I used it was pretty weird. We were checking a new concrete pour to see how far off the concrete guy was, and every time I set the unit on the edge of the slab I got a wildly different reading. I need to set some benchmarks with the laser and compare them to what I get with the zip, but I just haven't had time.

SVA_Concrete
01-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Topcon or leica hands down. That zip level looks a little hokey.
Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
01-16-2013, 09:32 PM
looks can be deceiving

jrs.landscaping
01-24-2013, 01:48 PM
I like my Berger, I has more than paid for itself for what I use it for.