PDA

View Full Version : downed trees/branches

dstifel
01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
How do you guys charge for this. Hourly per truck load per job? First experience with this so it will be a learning opportunity. Last snow storm that went through knocked all kinds of trees and branches etc. I know every person is different but let's hear what does and doesn't work well for you guys. Thanks

cpllawncare
01-04-2013, 09:28 PM
We take what ever the dump fee is and double it, and what ever your man hr rate is for the cleanup.

dstifel
01-04-2013, 10:14 PM
That makes sense I like that.

Darryl G
01-04-2013, 10:30 PM
For the kind of stuff you're talking about I bill hourly and then $12 to $15 cubic yard for disposal, with a minimum dump fee of $30. If it's just a handful of sticks while doing routine mowing I don't charge. If it's more than that I always have a couple of 60-gallon barrels and break them down and stuff them in there and charge $15 each. I have a couple of properties that get a lot of branches down on a regular basis and I have spots on the property where I pile them and haul them once or twice/year.

cpllawncare
01-04-2013, 10:37 PM
We take what ever the dump fee is and double it, and what ever your man hr rate is for the cleanup.

I was refering to full scale cleanouts not regualar maintenenance customers we do as darryl does for those.

dstifel
01-04-2013, 10:43 PM
This is anything from large trees to two or three random branches. We had all kinds of stuff falling after that two inches of ice followed by 8 inches of snow right before xmas. The city must be putting out notices to get it taken care of because i had 8 calls today alone about it. Ive been averaging about 50$ an hour plus 20$ a trip for a truck load and my 6x12 trailer, but i get to dump for free at a fairly close location so the 20$ more then covers my gas and the hour clock keeps ticking until I'm done dumping. Does this sound like a good way or am i screwing myself?

Darryl G
01-04-2013, 10:52 PM
As long as you're charging the dump time too I think you're good. Personally I charge more for dumping even though I can dump my 8 yard trailer for $10. I've got a fair chance of picking up a nail or other sharp debris in my tires at my dump though, since they accept lumber in the pile as well and it wasn't cheap to purchase my dump trailer nor are the taxes, registration and insurance on it cheap. If I have to go to the dump it's a minimum of $30 and a full 8 yard load is $90.

dstifel
01-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Ok I may move my charge up. Good thing is no worry of nails where I am dumping but yea registration and insurance are things to consider. Looking forward to the day I can afford and reason having a dump trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
01-04-2013, 11:06 PM
The dump trailer comes in really handy for mulch and brush runs. I haul my landscape tractor in it as well and my Z rider in the fall for cleanups....ground up bagged leaves in the front and mower in the back. The best part is when at the dump and pushing that button instead of having to unload it by hand.

One tip for you if you aren't aready doing this. Butts OUT for the brush and try to build a sort of platform of larger long & straight branches on the bottom. If you do that usually you just have to unload a little off the top and you can just grab the "platform" branches and pull the rest out, especially if you have a helper with you.

dstifel
01-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Yea that tip took me a long time to figure out but i do use it as often as possible. The kid i use to help me whenever i do need help (which i try to avoid) learned why that is important the hard way after me telling him repeatedly during one job to load it right. He got to unload it by himself while i watched ever since then he figured it out.

Darryl G
01-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I said butts in at first by accident but edited it. When I had just my truck I did used to load the butts in sometimes and wedge them under my cross-bed toolbox and then with the gate open I cold load stuff way out the back on top of my platform. I'd have so much on it that it was hard to tell there was a truck under it all...then I'd just take my hedge trimmers and go around and trim it so I could see out my mirrors and stuff wasn't dragging, lol. It's a total pain to unload that way though, but you can get a lot on.

cpllawncare
01-04-2013, 11:16 PM
I wanna dump trailer so bad I can't stand it, we could defintly use it, I just need the cash to buy it.

dstifel
01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
See thats the thing i have the cash i just do 95% mowing and snow and have no need for one. As soon as i can afford a skid loader i think i will buy one to haul it and make it dual purpose so that i can justify it a lot more.

cpllawncare
01-04-2013, 11:32 PM
See thats the thing i have the cash i just do 95% mowing and snow and have no need for one. As soon as i can afford a skid loader i think i will buy one to haul it and make it dual purpose so that i can justify it a lot more.

Well dang just buy one for me then, I accept your apology for the late Christmas present, LOL

dstifel
01-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Haha wouldn't that be a hell of a present. But now that this thread is 100% hijacked by myself I'm gonna go sharpen some chains and drink some beers. Thanks again for the help guys i really appreciate it.