PDA

View Full Version : What gas trucks can pull a 20 foot enclosed trailer?

cimkill
01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
I have a chevy 1500 with a v8 gas engine. I assume thats not going to work. No dot regulations here thank god so tell me what truck? It has to be gas not diesel.

NIXRAY
01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
My brother in law pulls a 20V nose with a tundra. I'm sure a ranger would move a 20' My point what will be in the trailer and type of driving (highway/city/hills) I would improve the brakes on the truck maybe a trans cooler and shift kit etc
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
you better get a v10! go ford!

Moose's Mowing
01-05-2013, 07:56 PM
depends whats in the trailer. I have a 2500 chevy 6.0 and use it for my lawn truck and I also tow a 26' camper. This is a small-ish camper compared to what I could pull with that truck. But it's comfortable towing that size camper loaded around 7-8000 lbs. Now, I see guys rolling in to campgrounds towing 30 footers with Ford explorers, or similar. not the smartest thing to do, but it does happen. So your 1500 would certainly pull a 20' enclosed trailer as long as you're not crazy heavy. So don't load it up with 5 zero turns, a few walk behinds, a compact tractor and a race car. if you need to fill that size trailer, def go with a 3/4 or 1 ton. might consider a WD hitch as well.

As for trucks, I can only speak for the 6.0 and 8.1 gassers from Chevy. I have the 6.0 and it's OK, not great but it does fine, never overheats, never complains, just is a bit underpowered on hills sometimes. no issues with my lawn rig tho. it also is thirsty on the gas. towing the camper I get around 7-8mpg. Now, I've used a friends 8.1 chevy before and that thing pulled every bit as well as my old dodge cummins did. I wish Chevy still made that 8.1 it got the same mileage as the 6.0 and had tons more power. But I don't think you'd be disappointed with the chevy 6.0 with a 20' trailer unless you're in the rocky mountains.

smokenjoe_10
01-05-2013, 08:30 PM
My 97 ram 1500 has pulled a 8.5 by 22V empty, with 2 mowers, with a jetta in it, also had a ranger in, and fully loaded with moving stuff. Yes I have air bags but I didn't with the 2 mowers. The moving stuff by far was the worst on my truck but it took it no problem and the trailer didn't have brakes. A 1500 can pull a 20V but I would put air bags in the rear to help with the weight.

Pietro
01-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Don't use airbags add leaf springs and you'll be great. Airbags are like a band aid
Posted via Mobile Device

nwimaintenance
01-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Why don't u just get a diesel? I used the 6.0 for years and the fuel mileage sucked. Got a duramax now I get twice the mileage of the 6.0 and triple the power.
Posted via Mobile Device

smokenjoe_10
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Don't use airbags add leaf springs and you'll be great. Airbags are like a band aid
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not agreeing and im not disagreeing for the price of a cheap pair of bags you could get a good set of added leafs but your ride suffers greatly I wanted something that you could throw a lot of weight at but still have a good ride when you not hauling. I have the firestone air springs and wouldn't have it any other way. I haul up to 4 different trailers and its nice to be able to level out the truck and be able to change PSI for each trailer to not suffer ride.

Pietro
01-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Yea you're right. I added leafs to my work truck... It does ride rough unloaded.
Posted via Mobile Device

PLS-Tx
01-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I pull a 8.5X20 enclosed with 2 61" zrt's and all the other goodies.

Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi pulls it fine. It's flat here no hills at all and the mpg is not good towing.

Have also pulled it a time or two with our 97 Chevy 1500. It will do it but it don't like it.

scotts lawn care
01-06-2013, 12:41 AM
if you wont go with a diesel, then I would say a chevy/GMC 6.0 3/4 ton. It will have plenty of power - just a bit thirsty for gas. I pulled my old 20' enclosed with a 2001 2500hd 6.0 for 6 years.

No complaints at all except the mpg.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Any gas motor over 350 cubic inches can probably do just fine. Put personally id want it to be f350 or a 3500 if you are doing any bagging. If you just let it fly and do not collect anything than a f250 or 2500 pick up would do but id never want that kind of mass on the brakes of a smaller truck. Yes I know it has trailer brakes but the truck brakes still get a work out.

That said once you go diesel there is no going back. I can remember a break down once where my trucks fuel pump went and I coasted to a side street and managed to pull in but I was still partly blocking the intersection. And I was now on a beginning of a hill so I couldn't just unhook the trailer I needed to be on flat ground first. I had ram 1500 quad cab long bed maxed out with grass the pile was higher than the roof of the truck. The trailer was 16 ft with 2 ztrs on it one with a collection system then 2 back packs 2 trimmers and all the extra gas. Easily weighed 12-13000 pounds my only available truck was my 89 gmc 3500 diesel 6.2 but it had 3 yards of top soil in her for another job. That truck pulled herself the Ram and the trailer and the mowers up this steep hill like nothing it never even went above idle. How many gas trucks you know that would move 18,000 pounds not including themselves with that kind of ease. As I said once you go diesel you will never go back.

cimkill
01-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Thank you all very much. Let me explain a little more sorry. I live in central america. Gas is over $5.50 U.S./gallon, due to this my trucks are all converted to butane,propane$2.00/gallon, this is why it has to be gas. Iwill be pulling 2 60" ztr's, and a 72"ztr with a hydro walk behind. trimmers,blowers,etc. I love my Chevy 1500 and if that can do it great! There are some hills but nothing major. Now that I was more detailed what do you guys think, I really dont want to spend the money on another truck if I dont have too, the trailer and 72" are going to set me back$$ already.

jackal
01-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Has more to do with the rear end than the size of the motor. Weigh the trailer loaded. A 1500 chevy with a 5.3 and a 411 rear end will pull about 8000 lbs easily.

cimkill
01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Thank you for the response Jackal. Excuse my ignorance, but is it easy to change the rear end? Labor here is cheap so to get it done shouldnt cost much just to get the 411 rear will be the thing. This is good news I love the truck had toyota's before but really old ones and they were a headache. Had the chevy a year now its a 1997, and no problems at all.

HPI_Savage25
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't see why a 1500 wouldn't pull it. Just watch what you load into it. I have a 7x16 v nose. We pulled it with a f150 for a few months and now I tow it with a 1500HD. The f150 only had the 4.6 so it was under powered a bit. The 1500HD has the 6.0 and it tows great but the gas mileage is below par. (9mpg)
Posted via Mobile Device

Oldtimer
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Don't forget to add brakes to the trailer. A light duty truck pulling that much weight needs all the help it can get when you stop. The vin number on the truck should include the differential rato.

Oldtimer

ringahding
01-06-2013, 04:23 PM
We have a '04 Chevy 6.0 4-door pulling our 20' enclosed trailer, w/electric brakes. Highly recommend the brakes as stated prior on this topic.

scotts lawn care
01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Trailer brakes = safety. DOT will really like see this working on a 20 foot enclosed.
Posted via Mobile Device

cimkill
01-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Well thank's for all the input everyone. I love the support on this site. I guess I will stick with my chevy its really a great truck. I will definately have electric brakes on the trailer, so that's no problem. This is great news for my pocket.

shovelracer
01-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I guess technically as long as your within all your ratings than you are OK assuming everything functions properly. I towed a 20' loaded @ about 9K daily for years with a 5.4L. Most rigs have enough power to move you around. No you do not need a 600hp diesel to tow mowers. Actually you really do not need that for anything. Those are a luxury. A nice 250HP with proper gears will get you anywhere you need to go.

The thing is even though pickups are rated to tow these weights they are not designed to do it all day, every day. Doing it is possible, but you will rip up tires, brakes, suspension, ball joints, trannies, and overall the truck will require additional maintenance. My big thing is safety though. I spent too many hours back in the day keeping my rig legal, but every day I see guys with mismatched tires, no working lights, presumably no brakes, and fenders smashed to #%$&, all while driving through town like a sport compact car. We've since upgraded to proper tow rigs, but it concerns me that my family is driving around on the same roads as the guys with 1500lb mowers bouncing around and blowers dangling off the side of the trailer, or in this case a loaded 10K enclosed with no brakes.

cimkill
01-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Shovel racer thank's for the input. Just wanted to clarify I do not have the trailer yet; nor the third ztr. I will be going up to the U.S.A early this summer or late spring to purchase everything and maybe drive it down through Mexico to Belize. Im not sure yet might ship it all, any how I am definately not going to buy a 20 foot enclosed with no breaks! That would be insane! Thank's for the info. The 411 rear end is the gear ratio right???

White Gardens
01-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Shovel racer thank's for the input. Just wanted to clarify I do not have the trailer yet; nor the third ztr. I will be going up to the U.S.A early this summer or late spring to purchase everything and maybe drive it down through Mexico to Belize. Im not sure yet might ship it all, any how I am definately not going to buy a 20 foot enclosed with no breaks! That would be insane! Thank's for the info. The 411 rear end is the gear ratio right???

yes, but it's actually listed as a 4.11 .

You just need to get the right ring and pinion gear for the specific rear end you have. You should look up the Vin number and see what you have first.

Depending on the truck, it could have a 3.42 or a 3.73. Depending on the axle you might be able to go to a 4.10. But keep in mind, changing your rear axle gear will give you more torque and pulling power, but your going to loose on mpg's. But, with propane the cost difference might be negligable.

Also, if you have 4 wheel drive, then you'll also need to change the gearing in the front differential to match the rear.

cimkill
01-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Wow! ok thanks white gardens you know your stuff:laugh: I have my truck going into the shop for servicing next wed. I will get the mechanic to figure that all out for me with your input I can now more clearly state what I need so thank you. I think because I use propane I loose a few horses aswell. The truck is really strong though. Thank's again.

360ci
01-13-2013, 12:02 AM
My brother in law pulls a 20V nose with a tundra. I'm sure a ranger would move a 20' My point what will be in the trailer and type of driving (highway/city/hills) I would improve the brakes on the truck maybe a trans cooler and shift kit etc
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, this Intrepid can apparently haul a 31' airstream. No joke. I did a print screen when I saw it a few years ago on the AutoTrader website! It's not the best quality but you can make out the WD hitch. I don't even think this car has a GCWR!

http://www.biodsl.com/images/intrepidtrailering.jpg

LandFakers
01-13-2013, 12:06 AM
I would say most V8 and V10 will do it. But others have stated its not really power, its weight and brakes

professional
01-14-2013, 08:36 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, so hopefully I'm not repeating something. My 150 has a 6 cylinder (eccoboost) and it pulls fine. 20' trailer with one zero turn, two walkbehinds and all the hand tools you can think of. It will spin tires from a stop light easily, I always can keep up with traffic and average around 10mpg in town. About 12 mpg on the interstate. No trailer nets 16mpg in town and 23 mpg on the interstate.

cimkill
01-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Thank you Proffesional your truck and trailer look great

cpllawncare
01-14-2013, 10:47 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so hopefully I'm not repeating something. My 150 has a 6 cylinder (eccoboost) and it pulls fine. 20' trailer with one zero turn, two walkbehinds and all the hand tools you can think of. It will spin tires from a stop light easily, I always can keep up with traffic and average around 10mpg in town. About 12 mpg on the interstate. No trailer nets 16mpg in town and 23 mpg on the interstate.

I believe you! but are you pulling everyday all day? I wouldn't pull a loaded down 20ft with my 150 and it has a 5.4 in it, at least not on a daily basis, I would upgrade to a 250 first. I know the eco boost is supposed to be as strong as a a small V-8 but it is yet to see if they last, they are still new to the market.

Lawn Care Etc.
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
My GMC 2500 HD 8.1 ltr would pull the wheels off it.

Blade Runners
05-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Using a 5.7 to pull 5500-6000lb gross load. Tried a 5.0 V8 to pull the same trailer with 5000 gross load and it couldn't handle it in summer heat. Get a trailer with brakes or you will eat up your truck brakes quick and possibly even damage rotors. Just because a truck can stop a trailer with no brakes does not mean it's safe!

Tongue/hitch weight comes down to loading the trailer properly for balance. The heaviest equipment should be directly over the trailer axles if possible.

Blade Runners
05-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Nice looking rig professional.

JDGlandscape
05-21-2013, 10:20 PM
i hope it works out well for you but i could never imagine towing a 20 foot enclosed trailer that can weigh up to 10k loaded everyday with a 1500... that is just crazy talk. maybe some of the newer ones since they are more capable i guess..
Posted via Mobile Device

JDGlandscape
05-21-2013, 10:21 PM
might want to have several transmissions laying around to drop into it if you live in a hilly terrain
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
05-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Helper leafs are archaic. Pacbrake airbags are some of the best. You can't adjust leafs but you can adjust airbags. You can also tow way more with airbags not vice versa. I've towed 34,000 lbs with my airbags. I use bags on both my 2500 & 3500 trucks.

On the topic pulling a 20' trailer with a gasser is going to be expensive. Single digit millage.

PLS-Tx
05-22-2013, 02:13 AM
I'm just about ready to trade my Ram 2500 Hemi for a CTD.

No way would I pull a 20' enclosed with a 1500. Every once in a while maybe buy not everyday.

PlantscapeSolutions
05-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm just about ready to trade my Ram 2500 Hemi for a CTD.

No way would I pull a 20' enclosed with a 1500. Every once in a while maybe buy not everyday.

How many miles have you put on your new truck? If I recall your in the flat Houston area. I don't think you ever posted an answer to the question of how bad the millage was when a few of us had asked on your thread in the past.

Hopefully EFI Live will come out with support for the newer trucks and you will be able to do custom tuning and do a DPF delete if you buy a new truck. The bad thing about Hemi 2500's in Texas is the resale value is really bad. They are very hard to sell outright and you end up getting raped if you trade it in. Get the 6.7 and you'll love it. It will drive like the 20' trailer isn't even even back there. Pulling out into traffic will be a world easier.

Mark Oomkes
05-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

As stated, go with airbags for all the reasons given, I've stopped doing add a leafs because the truck rides like crap.

Don't forget to add brakes to the trailer. A light duty truck pulling that much weight needs all the help it can get when you stop. The vin number on the truck should include the differential rato.

Oldtimer

Thankfully someone made this suggestion early on.

Pulling isn't the problem, stopping is.

Trailer brakes = safety. DOT will really like see this working on a 20 foot enclosed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, cuz Belize has a DOT.

Helper leafs are archaic. Pacbrake airbags are some of the best. You can't adjust leafs but you can adjust airbags. You can also tow way more with airbags not vice versa. I've towed 34,000 lbs with my airbags. I use bags on both my 2500 & 3500 trucks.

On the topic pulling a 20' trailer with a gasser is going to be expensive. Single digit millage.

Agreed on the bags. I love them.

Dually00-00
05-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Keep in mind that medium and heavy duty trucks use a very similar air bag system.:waving:

Mark Oomkes
05-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Keep in mind that medium and heavy duty trucks use a very similar air bag system.:waving:

Whaaaaat? LOL

RSNovi
05-23-2013, 04:36 PM
I found that the Equalizer load leveling trailer hitches work quite well.

I used to pull a 26' race trailer with a 2000 F150 5.4L before I got a F250 diesel. It pulled about as hard unloaded as it did loaded due to the wind drag. It wasn't fun going on the expressway and made it quite stressful just because the weight of the trailer pulled the truck around. A semi passing would about put me in the other lane.

For everyday I would go at least a 3/4 ton.

Dually00-00
05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Whaaaaat? LOL

Ok so here ya go Air leaf suspension on heavy duty truck frame.

mag360
05-24-2013, 10:19 AM
I did an experiment a few years back with a new truck purchase. In 2008 dodge was offering a lifetime powertrain warranty on the 1500's but not on the 2500's and up so we bought an '08 ram 1500 regular cab shortbed 4x4 with the 310hp 4.7, auto, towing package 4x4 etc for over $10,000 less than a comparable 2500-3500 with the hemi and hooked it up to a 20ft carmate (heavy) enclosed trailer with 2 60 inch ztr's and all associated small equipment/tools. Trailer was loaded properly and the truck had a top quality brake controller, rear helpers, and a curtis plow frame out front that added some weight to the steer tires. That thing towed beautifully for 60,000 miles (not all towing) and plowed in the winter with a heavy duty curtis 7.5ft plow. Replaced both tie rod ends and the original brake pads at around 50,000. Engine, trans, transfer case, rears, ball joints all were perfect. I still can't believe how well the thing held up. Traded it in far around $5000 less than the original purchase price last fall because values were so low when we bought and skyrocketed last year.

If I could do it again I would...

That said we have a couple cummins trucks and a 7.3 ford and have switched to buying used 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for less depreciation

TuffTurfLawnCare
05-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Whaaaaat? LOL

He meant REAL heavy/medium duty trucks. CDL, greater than 26000lb, air brake trucks. Not the "HD" one ton trucks. Medium duty would include single and tandem axle dumps, large box trucks, etc. Heavy duty would be tri axles, tractors, etc.

Fawcett
10-13-2013, 12:20 PM
I've been hauling my 6x10 enclosed trailer with my 2012 F350 6.2 gasser reg cab/long bed with dump insert for about two years now. I am looking to get a 8.5x20 so that I can haul two Walkers, the 36inch Scag, push blower, backpack blowers, trimmers, fuel etc.

I think my truck will get the job done but I would love to take on the task with a diesel F450/550 dump truck.
As is now, I don't get great mpg's while hauling the 6x10 with a single Walker and all the other stuff. We make lots of stops and starts, the set up gets about 10.5-11mpg's around town.

Empty with no dump insert and not hauling anything the truck would get me around 13/15mpg's between city & highway driving.

I am considering upgrading to a bigger truck next year, this year has to treat me well first through!

FYI: I liked the mpg's I got with my 03' Reg Cab/Long Bed Silverado 5.3 4x4. The transmission started to get sloppy when it hit 125,000miles and the suspension would drag ass nearly everywhere. Throw a couple yards of mulch in the bed with the trailer hooked up and it was anything but safe or professional looking. The stopping distance was dangerous. Now with the F350 I can throw 3yards of soaked loam in the bed-hook the trailer up and have no issues. It was the right move to make.

If I could do it over again, I would go with a dually rear set up to spread out tire wear.

Good luck hunting!
-Fawcett

cimkill
10-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Wow guys I am sorry about not responding to all the rest of the posts thought this thread was dead. I am about to purchase a trailer this week coming and started another thread about enclosedtrailersforless.com located in Fitzgerald Georgia. Anyway back to updating info I have since bought a 2003 chevy Silverado 2500 6.0 liter and its a monster. I love that truck and we cant feel the two ztr's on the trailer we are currently pulling. I am now actually purchasing 2 hustler superz hd's 72" and shipping them down on a 24x8.5 trailer I am ordering from the above company. Any feedback on this company would be nice looked them up on bbb and cant find them. The gear ratio on the 2500 is a 4.11. so its perfect for towing. I almost bought a 1999 chevy 3500 dually last week but it was diesel so I didn't buy it cause I convert all my mowers and trucks to propane due to cost down here. Any suggestions will be appreciated or feedback on this trailer company please.

Pressedun
11-12-2013, 03:13 AM
Can't say much about the 6.0 as I've never owned one but my 8.1 doesn't miss a beat ever. Have hauled around 10,000 pounds and barely struggled!
Posted via Mobile Device

kawakx125
11-12-2013, 08:04 AM
those 6.0's are workhorses, you won't be disappointed. as mentioned they are thirsty, but what motor isn't pulling a 20' enclosed. it can handle the day to day stresses of towing much better than a 1/2 ton, and while you wont win any races with it, it should provide you with many years of reliable service

cimkill
11-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Thank you kawakx, I love my 2500 Silverado even thought its old. I went with diamond cargo instead, and am waiting for it to arrive down here in Belize should be here next week, with my new mowers. Thank you will let you know how she pulls the big trailer fully loaded.