PDA

View Full Version : yanmar diesel

dstifel
01-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Yanmar diesel that shuts off when hot. Have been told they have something similar to a solenoid that goes bad and will kill it when hot? Has anyone heard of this and know what it is actually called? Thanks

ecurbthims
01-07-2013, 02:42 PM
on some yanmars,theres a thing called a thermister which controls the voltage to the fuel solenoid hold-in winding,if the thermister gets too hot it drops the voltage to zero causing the fuel shut off to shut off .Not sure if yours is that type ,but it sounds like it could be .

dstifel
01-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Any pictures of what it is and where it is located sounds right when it dies sounds like its bogging down or running out of gas.

ecurbthims
01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
on the ones I have dealt with,they were in the back of the fuse panel soldered in ,little orange thingy .Basically ,the fuel shut-off has a pull in winding that takes full power ,and then after the machine starts theres a secondary winding which holds the plunger while the unit is running ,which works on a lower voltage allowing it to last longer without burning out ,and the thermister drops the voltage for the hold in winding .

dstifel
01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Ok I will check it out thank you!

ashgrove landscaping
01-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Any pictures of what it is and where it is located sounds right when it dies sounds like its bogging down or running out of gas.
:dizzy: GAS??????:cry: Isn't that like the golden rule when talking bout diesels....ta don't call it GAS!:usflag:

KrayzKajun
01-11-2013, 12:39 AM
:dizzy: GAS??????:cry: Isn't that like the golden rule when talking bout diesels....ta don't call it GAS!:usflag:

Gas= what i get from eating mexican. Diesel engines run on fuel.
Posted via Mobile Device

dstifel
01-11-2013, 04:57 AM
My bad my bad fuel is that better
Posted via Mobile Device

dstifel
01-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Tearing into this mower this weekend. Anyone have pictures of what the thermister looks like? Would save me a lot of time. Tried googling it but came up with nothing. Thanks

dstifel
01-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Help me out here guys I'm being told the thermistor would not be the problem. Thing runs great for hour to hour and a half then dies bogs out like it is underpowered or running out of fuel. Then the battery acts as if it is bad. Let it sit on jumper cables for 20 -30 mins runs for a bit again dies. The alternator checks good the battery checks good. What else could be going on here? Im stuck?

Valk
01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
I had strange/intermittent issues that were solved by taking my machine (gas, not diesel) to a battery shop. They diagnosed a bad ground cable (simple, huh?!?) from the block to the neg post. Problems solved. Hope this helps...best of luck.

dstifel
01-29-2013, 04:41 PM
I will give it a shot to simple to not try. Thanks!

dstifel
02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Could it be the fuel shut off solenoid? Is there a way to test it?

weve
02-02-2013, 09:13 PM
On my Yanmar 3TNV88, I replaced a circuit breaker two times -- at 1380 hrs and 1910 hrs. As I recall it quit running after a half hour or so and would restart after sitting for 20 minutes or so. My Dixie dealer is also a John Deere dealer. He wired in a C-021 circuit breaker but I don't know for sure what brand it is. The circuit breaker is near the starter.

I also replace the fuel shut off solenoid at 2020 hrs. The wiring and insulation had gotten hot. I have another 230 hrs on the mower with no problems so far.