PDA

View Full Version : bamboo vs. white pine for border??

Shuter
02-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Does anyone use bamboo as a border between two properties? Other option the customer wants is to install white pines. What do you guys think?

AGLA
02-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Bamboo can be very, very, invasive.

Depending where on the Cape that you are, White Pine can be a little iffy. Will they consider Austrian Pine, Arborvitae, or Privet? There is always Leyland Cypress as well.

Lanelle
02-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Bamboo can make neighbors very unhappy if it is an invasive variety. Horror stories abound about this. Heed the good advice above.

Shuter
02-01-2003, 04:49 PM
I know how invasive bamboo is if not controled, but customer still wants it. I may try to get them to go with cypress tress. Thanks for the replies. By the AGLA, I am talking about Marstons Mills.

bob
02-01-2003, 06:56 PM
I think that there are 2 kinds of Bambo. One kind basically stays where you plant it and doesn't spread. The other kind, well you know what happens.

KenH
02-01-2003, 08:05 PM
When planting bamboo--- rent a trencher and trench 3' deep around the area you are going to plant bamboo in. In this trench, put pieces of plastic/acrylic, etc.(cheap) vertically, and fill the trench with gravel. This will stop the spread, and keep the bamboo where you want it. Bamboo is an awesome/interesting screen. You just have to know how to contain it.

devildog
02-02-2003, 06:09 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KenH
.............Bamboo is an awesome/interesting screen. You just have to know how to contain it. [/QUOTE

Concur, checkout:

http://www.americanbamboo.org/FilesToDownload/2001SourceList01.pdf

and

http://www.northeastbamboo.org/

with regards, devildog

baddboygeorge
02-08-2003, 12:50 AM
i like using different varieties of ornamental grasses but not bamboo . i also like the white pine effect as well very easy to maintain versus the grasses!!

AGLA
02-08-2003, 05:50 AM
You might want to look into a root barrier. I know that there are several available. deeproot.com is one place.

bob
02-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Bambo- will give you job security! You'll always be maintaining it!