PDA

View Full Version : 21" Snapper Differential Problem

ed2hess
01-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Has anybody else having any trouble with the gear on the shafts on 13 and 23 in diagram coming loose. I have now had 3 on relative new units. Think they could be welded? They are pressed onto a knurled end of the shafts.
These winter repairs may not be ready for February run.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=snapper&mn=21351P+21%22+3.5+HP+Steel+Deck+%2880%27s%29+Series+1&dn=6089

BigFish
01-09-2013, 09:17 AM
From what I could tell, about the only thing ya might could do is find a macine shop that can furnace braze em for ya.
Go see my buddy Jesse over to Austin Speed Shop. Tell em' Paul Jr. sent ya!!!

larryinalabama
01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Ive had several Snapper 21s and my current 21 is over 10 years old and has had a whole lot of use, Ive never had a gear box failure yet, I thought they were bullet proof.

ed2hess
01-09-2013, 06:08 PM
From what I could tell, about the only thing ya might could do is find a macine shop that can furnace braze em for ya.
Go see my buddy Jesse over to Austin Speed Shop. Tell em' Paul Jr. sent ya!!!

Forget to tell you the part only cost $30....thanks...so big no no to try
to weld it?

Ive had several Snapper 21s and my current 21 is over 10 years old and has had a whole lot of use, Ive never had a gear box failure yet, I thought they were bullet proof.

old ones good, new ones not so good.

piston slapper
01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Ed...I've had some luck welding dissimular metals together using a mig welder.
Where stick welding doesn't penetrate too far and can break off...the mig shoots the wire in deep unuf to stitch them together..
Not sure which metals you are joining...but the mig works well on pig metals...

BigFish
01-09-2013, 08:36 PM
I've never even had one apart, but from what I could tell from the IPL, you don't have the room for a weld bead, on accountta the fit up into bushings etc.
I saw the price on the IPL.
MIG, stick, tig, whatever, yer still gonna end up with a bead that will interfere/rub against the faces. Ya might could use a die grinder to put a heavy countersink in the gear I.D. in which to lay yer weld bead, then grind it smooth.
Really depends on your skills.

WTF is "pig metal"??????

avernon0112
01-09-2013, 08:46 PM
We purchased 4 new Snappers this year. The one that made it the longest hung around for three months. They are junk. 3-4 years ago they would last, but not now.

larryinalabama
01-09-2013, 08:55 PM
We purchased 4 new Snappers this year. The one that made it the longest hung around for three months. They are junk. 3-4 years ago they would last, but not now.

I got a real old one with the motor locked up, I may restore it insted of buying a new one.

piston slapper
01-09-2013, 09:21 PM
With this many gear failures...I'm wondering why you guys aren't lining up for warranties..
There surely must be a recall on them...

BTW Fish...pig metal...pig iron...is an inferior grade or iron...usually brittle..
They make forklift counterweights out of it....china makes everything out of it..

ed2hess
01-09-2013, 09:23 PM
I got a real old one with the motor locked up, I may restore it insted of buying a new one.
If it is a Robins 2 stroke it might be worth it. I redid one of those last
year and like any 2 stroke it was pretty easy. But it was't locked up.

avernon0112
01-09-2013, 09:23 PM

The motors seem to mostly be ok. It is the wheels break. The axles break. The safety cable breaks. Throttle cable break. We bag and that breaks. Our motors are going for three years. And they are run 6+ hours a day. We started buying the new mowers when the motor wears out on the old ones and swap out the motors.

larryinalabama
01-09-2013, 09:27 PM
If it is a Robins 2 stroke it might be worth it. I redid one of those last
year and like any 2 stroke it was pretty easy. But it was't locked up.

Its a 3.5 briggs,

Do you know if this would work to repower it???
http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/173-cc-ohv-vertical-shaft-gas-engine-certified-for-california-69731.html

BigFish
01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
With this many gear failures...I'm wondering why you guys aren't lining up for warranties..
There surely must be a recall on them...

BTW Fish...pig metal...pig iron...is an inferior grade or iron...usually brittle..
They make forklift counterweights out of it....china makes everything out of it..

I know what pig iron is! Pig metal? Never heard of it. I'm assumin' you meant different types of steel, rusted, poor fit-ups etc, no?

larryinalabama
01-09-2013, 10:04 PM
The motors seem to mostly be ok. It is the wheels break. The axles break. The safety cable breaks. Throttle cable break. We bag and that breaks. Our motors are going for three years. And they are run 6+ hours a day. We started buying the new mowers when the motor wears out on the old ones and swap out the motors.

On the mower I use Ive replace everything at least once, turntable axel bearings front wheels both belts springs and cables. The Subaru engine and the gear box have never been touched. I still use the mower commerically and its over 10 years old

I was going to buy a new one but if they cheapened the gear box it may not be worth it, plus you cant get the Kawasaki anymore, and Robin doest make the eh18 anymore. There fore Im thinking of restoring a mower that was given to me, Im not sure that would be worth it eighter.

ed2hess
01-12-2013, 07:35 PM
I was going to buy a new one but if they cheapened the gear box it may not be worth it, plus you cant get the Kawasaki anymore, and Robin doest make the eh18 anymore. There fore Im thinking of restoring a mower that was given to me, Im not sure that would be worth it eighter.

We welded the gears on today. The gear boxes do not look cheaper in fact they look more heavy duty than the 10 year old one. This failure is apparently a manuf defect. Just not enough interference to hold the gear in place. Maybe the 110F temp we have been operating in has an influence. I heard today that snapper is just about finished as a name brand.

larryinalabama
01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
We welded the gears on today. The gear boxes do not look cheaper in fact they look more heavy duty than the 10 year old one. This failure is apparently a manuf defect. Just not enough interference to hold the gear in place. Maybe the 110F temp we have been operating in has an influence. I heard today that snapper is just about finished as a name brand.

Let us know if that works.

I look at the 21 last year, the feller at the shop said you cant get the Kawasaki anymore since Birggs@Stratton bought them out. He said you can get a Honda but Im not a big fan of Honda. Other than that the mowers "look" basically like they did 20 years ago.

I havent herd that snapper is on its way out, I may still purchase one this year, haven made up my mind yet. If they still made the Subaru Robin engine I buy one yesterday. The Briggs engine has a oil filter and it may be ok.

ed2hess
01-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Let us know if that works.

I look at the 21 last year, the feller at the shop said you cant get the Kawasaki anymore since Birggs@Stratton bought them out. He said you can get a Honda but Im not a big fan of Honda. Other than that the mowers "look" basically like they did 20 years ago.

I havent herd that snapper is on its way out, I may still purchase one this year, haven made up my mind yet. If they still made the Subaru Robin engine I buy one yesterday. The Briggs engine has a oil filter and it may be ok.

We had decision to make last year and looked at snapper with honda engine or straight honda. Ended up buying a cheaper honda then two days later took it back and got the full commericial. Just be careful with those BS and Kaw the recoils don't work very well. I got a 12 year old honda that never had the rope replaced and starts easy.

larryinalabama
01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
We had decision to make last year and looked at snapper with honda engine or straight honda. Ended up buying a cheaper honda then two days later took it back and got the full commericial. Just be careful with those BS and Kaw the recoils don't work very well. I got a 12 year old honda that never had the rope replaced and starts easy.

My current snapper 21c has a Subaru Robin 6.5 and it seems to be bullet proof. They no longer make that engine and havent for years. I never liked Hondas that much and I it doesnt have a oil filter. The Briggs has a oil filter, sometimes it seems Im cutting upside down so a "splash" oil system would last me a year.

ed2hess
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
My current snapper 21c has a Subaru Robin 6.5 and it seems to be bullet proof. They no longer make that engine and havent for years. I never liked Hondas that much and I it doesnt have a oil filter. The Briggs has a oil filter, sometimes it seems Im cutting upside down so a "splash" oil system would last me a year.

I can stand corrected but my experience is Honda small engines are simply bullet proof. Even better than the old 2 strokes used on snapper.

ed2hess
01-18-2013, 06:43 PM
When I opened this crankcase there was practically no liquid oil in it at all... And the outside of the case was spotless. So whatever they put in it at the factor is now a gooee substance. Guess i will be checking these more often too.

BigFish
01-18-2013, 07:12 PM
It prolly never had any liquid in it. Looks like the factory used a type of grease. Could be "Bentonite" grease, like in Peerless crashboxes.

I would use "0" moly grease, or mix your own using moly paste ( assembly lube) and "0" or "00" grease. #1 will work also.

dutch1
01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Ed, the transmission never used a flowable oil.

Fish is correct--you will find that the Snapper manual will indicate the use of 00 grease. I'm not inclined to pay John Deere prices normally, but you will likely find their price cheaper than you will pay at a Snapper dealer. The JD 00 grease will be classified as "cornhead grease" for headers on combines in the from of a normal grease gun tube.

ed2hess
01-18-2013, 09:27 PM
It prolly never had any liquid in it. Looks like the factory used a type of grease. Could be "Bentonite" grease, like in Peerless crashboxes.

I would use "0" moly grease, or mix your own using moly paste ( assembly lube) and "0" or "00" grease. #1 will work also.

Ed, the transmission never used a flowable oil.

Fish is correct--you will find that the Snapper manual will indicate the use of 00 grease. I'm not inclined to pay John Deere prices normally, but you will likely find their price cheaper than you will pay at a Snapper dealer. The JD 00 grease will be classified as "cornhead grease" for headers on combines in the from of a normal grease gun tube.

Thanks I had a tube of 00 grease I got from Rotary a few years back so I put some of that in. There is a big label saying don't overfill.