PDA

View Full Version : Review of Eastwood MIG 175 Welder

LawnTamer
01-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi all,

If you are like me, your welder is an important part of your lawn care business. Always modifying equipment, or doing repairs etc. I upgraded my welder recently from a Lincoln Weld-pak to a Mig 175 from Eastwood. I thought I'd do a review for anyone else who may be looking at getting a new welder.

Feel free to ask questions, here or on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C8nbD_3m50

BILLSMOWERS
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
i got the eastwood tig 200 love it i weld mag chainsaw cases with it as long as you have the right rod no problem

bill

Patriot Services
01-09-2013, 12:40 PM
I saw this item on Eastwood and was interested. The 115v leave much to be desired but this is a 220 model. Same price as a good DC stickmate without the learning curve. How is the duty cyle? It would be a great piece for any garage or small shop. You won't find any other one at that price with a spool gun which alleviates many complaints on low end machines.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnTamer
01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
The duty cycle is 30-35% at 130 amps. I know it's weird to post a range like that, as it is usually just X% at X amps, but I have found both numbers in their literature, so I am guessing it is somewhere in between. I have made some long welds on 1/4" plate, building a coal fired forge, and have yet to max out the duty cycle.

LawnTamer
01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
After many hours of use, and welding up 6 or 7 fairly large projects; I made a list of my likes and dislikes. It may be helpful to anyone thinking about this unit.

-Price ($499 with a spool gun, 4lbs of wire, extra tips, hoses regulator & free delivery)
-Finish... let's face it, black is cool.
-Tweco standard accessories. I really like the gun, but if I didn't, I could just pull it out and pop in a gun from another welder.
-Warranty, 3 yrs on everything but consumables
-Infinitely variable power (this is a big plus for me, coming from a welder with just 4 taps)
-Works perfectly so far
-Power, this machine easily has the power Eastwood claims... probably more.
-Smooth wirefeed.

Dislikes:
-They do not make a serrated drive roller for welding with flux-core wire. The welder comes with a roller grooved for both .023 and .030 wire. You can run .035 flux-core through the .030 groove, and I haven't tried it, but on other machines I have used, a smooth groove works fine for solid wire, but will wither slip on, or squish flux-core. The only reason this would be an issue is if I was welding outside in the wind, or ran out of shielding gas, and needed to finish something.

Patriot Services
01-12-2013, 10:31 AM
I would think using the spool gun would eliminate the need for a serrated roller.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnTamer
01-14-2013, 03:09 AM
I would think using the spool gun would eliminate the need for a serrated roller.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am sure it would. It only accommodates up to a 2lb spool, and is primarily designed for use with aluminum, but I suppose you could run flux-core.

I haven't actually used the spool gun yet, or welded aluminum. I need to get a bottle of pure argon. I am anxious to try it. I have an Accelerator which needs major repair. Last time, I paid a shop to weld it up, because I couldn't weld aluminum, it cost me nearly as much as a new Accelerator!