coupler is different
top wind jack

LP Series
dexter ez lube axles
ramps under bed
coupler differnt
drop leg jack

my main concern is the axles
the alkos dont appear to be ez lube. i have heard many differnt things concerning axles. i would appreciate any input. thanks alot

LandFakers
01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
I can't really comment on the Bri-Mar trailers themselves, but I know the dexter EZ lube on my trailer is a thing of beauty

Darryl G
01-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm not very familiar with the LE series. I don't think they had them when I bought my LP but I did just look at them on the website. I will say that the under trailer ramp storage is nice on the LP, but you will smash/break your toe if you drop the ramp on it...yes I know that from experience and it was 100% my fault. It's interesting that the LE actually weights more than the LP. It looks like all the materials are the same gauge so I'm not sure why. Also, keep in mind that the LE has bias tires on it, not radials like the LP. It looks like the LE doesn't have rubber mounted lights either.

recycledsole
01-09-2013, 07:27 PM
hey darryl, so are bias ply tires much inferior?

Marek
01-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Bias ply tires build more heat than radial tires do at highway speeds

Darryl G
01-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Well, you'll get differing opinions on that. Personally I think radial tires last a lot longer but some claim the opposite. http://blog.easternmarine.com/trailer-tires-bias-ply-vs-radial/

recycledsole
01-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Hm. since the radial tires are on the more expensive trailer, id guess theyre better. which has been everything ive read so far..
thank you for your help.

Darryl G
01-09-2013, 10:52 PM
You're welcome. Keep in mind no matter what tires you have on your trailer, a double axle trailer tends to eat the rear tires...you get much less wear out of them than the front set. The reason is they tend to scrub against the pavement when you turn. I'm still on my orignial set on my trailer which I bought in 2006, but I really don't use it all that much and when I do it's all local.

recycledsole
01-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes sir i got the trailer today. Went with the DT610LP-10. Means the 10k trailer with radial tires and dexter ez-lube axles. I got landscape gate mostly conisidering leaf removals in the fall. The LE model was $600 cheaper, but i researched alko axles on google and found some bad reviews and problems with them. I got it from http://www.trailerenterprises.com/ which is real close to the Bri-Mar factory and they gave me a good price @ $5650.
thanks for everyones help

Darryl G
01-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Grats. Nice trailer for sure. Your're going to love the feeling of just pushing a button to dump. I'd be interested to hear how the landscape gate works out for you. I have the barn doors/combo gate. I can't picture trying to dump a tall load of brush with the landscape gate though...but haven't had my coffee yet either, lol.

jones68
01-11-2013, 11:26 AM
congrats on the trailer good luck with it... i am hoping to get one in the spring

recycledsole
01-11-2013, 05:37 PM
thanks darryl. i hope the gate works well. if not ill exchange it. it gets mounted up quite high and has 4 attatchment points, so should be able to dump with double the clearance of the normal gate. used it for the first time to day. getting the hang of driving a trailer. I am wondering what should i do when i park it? keep it hitched to the truck and put the jack down so that the pressure is not on my truck? Also, the brakes were locking up a bit. Once when i had the brake controller on 4.5V and tires were little muddy and road was wet. I turned it down and didnt hear them skidding anymore. second time i was driving with load and they were skidding. road was wet. i turned down brake controller seemed to help.
I am not sure if my controller is set to high or if its not good, but when i turn it on to anything over 5 the brakes come on real hard- not fast, but slowly get real hard, and when i take my foot of the break the brakes all come off at once and pop. its not smooth at all. im wondering if i should pay $50 more for a controller with a sensor. or if i just need to turn them down. This is with about 3k-4k LB in the trailer with 5v going to brakes.

good luck on the trailer jones68.
Thanks!

Darryl G
01-11-2013, 07:56 PM
You need to adjust the controller for the load you have and the surface conditions. It sounds like you have it up too high. If you're hauling with a load and have them turned up and then dump your load, they often will skid. Likewise if you're traveling on pavement and then go to dirt they'll skid. What I do is manually activate the trailer brakes to adjust them...there should be a button/lever for manual activation. Also when taking off from a stop, give them a second to release before hitting the gas. I usually only run my brakes in the 2.5 to 3.5 range. You just want them to assist the brakes on your truck, not replace them. Some controllers will also have an adjustment for how aggressively they come on, but it sounds like that's ok as they come on gradually for you. My adjustment for that is kind of hidden and the sort of thing you set once.

recycledsole
01-11-2013, 08:14 PM
ok thanks darryl

recycledsole
01-11-2013, 09:13 PM
need a place to dump fill dirt in md!